1.    #1  
    I have been reading posts here for several days and I am not as happy a camper as some of you. I understand that a new device needs bugs to be worked out, but the 650 IMHO has too many bugs for its price point.

They are:

1. 5-6 sec delay in dialing from the contacts
    2. Memory problems
    3. Delay in switching between apps. I documented a 22-sec delay switching from VersaMail back to the phone
    4. My free Bluetooth headset is a piece of garbage
    5. Typing delay with email
    6. Bluetooth hotsync is slow!!

Bear in mind that I did not install any 3rd party apps and these problems still exist. I'm going back to the 600 fro know and get the next generation Treo when it comes out!

I'll be reading your posts. To all those with 650's I really do wish you the best of luck. Great machine, but it needed to be tested in REAL life by REAL people before being sold for a REAL lot!

Peace
    I still think you should try a second one before you give up. Most of your more annoying problams are not the "norm" for this phone.

I've had two now due to a dead pixel, so I will give you insight on what I have seen regarding your problems.

I havent seen this in eitherof my phones. 5-6 secs is a LONG time.

2. Memory problems
    The available memory is definitely less than the 600 and probably the only "true" problem listed here, but it's not a problem if you dont overload it.

3. Delay in switching between apps. I documented a 22-sec delay switching from VersaMail back to the phone
    This is definitely not the norm. I have not seen anything like this.

Mine is spotty at worst, but for free, I can't complain. Not too bad, but not as good as i would have liked. I'll do some research before I buy a new one. The problem seems to stem from WIFI networks at home or near one out and about. When on the road I have had no problems at all with it.

Not sure what you mean here. I dont have any typing delays anywhere.

Agreed, but it is as I expected. BT hotsync wont be as quick as USB. But it is great to have the option on the laptop if out in the field.

Sorry to hear about your woes. I still reccomend you try a replacement before giving up. But if you are that disgusted and are going back to the 600 (can it REALLY be THAT bad? 600? ewwwww) I'll see you when the next version comes out as I'll be upgrading again! lol
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    I have been reading posts here for several days and I am not as happy a camper as some of you. I understand that a new device needs bugs to be worked out, but the 650 IMHO has too many bugs for its price point.

They are:

2. Memory problems

Bear in mind that I did not install any 3rd party apps and these problems still exist. I'm going back to the 600 fro know and get the next generation Treo when it comes out!

I'll be reading your posts. To all those with 650's I really do wish you the best of luck. Great machine, but it needed to be tested in REAL life by REAL people before being sold for a REAL lot!

Peace
    You may very well have a defective product. Of all the things you mention, the only one I experience is the delay when dialing contacts...about 3-4 seconds.

Have you given this thing a nice hard reboot and give it a second shot?

Eric
    I've seen pretty much the same issues as jazzkids. Mine's going back to the sprint demo loaner pool and I won't be buying, at least until they work on the issues many of us have seen.
    While this seems kind of long, I wonder if the delay is due to the online connection being ended when switching out of VersaMail. There is an option to enable/disable this feature in VersaMail (options, preferences, connections, auto-disconnect).

I have mine set to disconnect upon exit and notice that it takes longer for me to exit VersaMail if the radio is on, compared to when it's off. When it's off, I'm able to exit immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    While this seems kind of long, I wonder if the delay is due to the online connection being ended when switching out of VersaMail. There is an option to enable/disable this feature in VersaMail (options, preferences, connections, auto-disconnect).

I have mine set to disconnect upon exit and notice that it takes longer for me to exit VersaMail if the radio is on, compared to when it's off. When it's off, I'm able to exit immediately.

WOW!! That was it!! I didnt even think of that. Thanks MarkY
    Sony Ericsson HBH-600 has worked flawlessly for me thus far. I guess you get what you pay for.

Hard to count this as a negative aginst the Treo 650 (or any BT palm) since it's the nature of the BT standard -- i.e., bluetooth favors battery over speed. If you want fast, use a cable...or buy a bunch of extra batteries and a wifi-capable phone/pda.

I might consider the same if I weren't such a rabid early adopter. Besides, the closer Palm and PocketP(ieceof)C(rap) devices converge, the more bugs Palms seem to have. Have you tried returning your Treo 650 for a replacement? Other than a rare soft reset (could be 3rd party apps), my Treo 650 has been doing great! After this, I'll never be able to settle for a stylus-dependent OS.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks everyone for your replys. But, I just bought a 600 in my state for $140 less than I sold mine for 3 weeks ago :-)

So, I'll probably wait a few months, let them work out the bugs, then upgrade.

I know that there are a lot of issues when coming out with a new product. But, I loved the 600! It was a really good machine. I wish I could say the same about the 650. It is a really nice machine, but without any incentive like a rebate I can't see the price tag.
    i am with you, mine is already heading back to sprint. back on the 600 for data, and gunna get a regular phone for voice, prob. the LG325. it is just not all there yet, and that is hard to say having exclusively used treo products, a 300 and then 600 over the past 2 years.

the sound quality is horrible on the 650 too. i hate to say all of this, but oh well.
    Okay, I don't want all the Power Users ranting on me, but I came to one conclusion after 8 days with the beautiful T 650. Keeping it was a compromise!
    1.Memory, if it isn't an issue now, it will be. Palms' fix I bekieve is limited
    2. VersaMail has problems and in effort to conserve memeory(see, I"m compromising) I gave up SnapperMail
    3.Trying to work with an SD Card and Zlauncher is yer another COMPROSMISE
    4.Reading some emails and posts from software developers that I respect, they're saying that the memory issue is just that "An Issue"
    5.I am concerned that some of the software that are invaluable to me, maynot be able to function in the new enviroment
    6.Although I am capable of "Compormise" I honestly don't feel that @ $600 I should be asked to do this

Believe me, I have gone back and forth about my decission, but have decide until we have what is for me a workable unit, I am returning it this week and will live with my trusty,finally T 600

Good luck to all of you and I of course will be surfing the boards for the latest news.