Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Maybe the delay differential is a caused by free RAM differences by user?
    Good point.. maybe the size of the SD card, if present?
    I have 4.9MB free right now (it shrinks a little bit everyday for some unkown reason), and a 512 SD card.
    I have anywhere from 1 to 3 second delay in the phone app (switching to it as well as dialing/picking up calls).
  3. f40
    I wonder if any of you that have the 650 and the delay have tried taking out the SD card to see if the problem goes away. It seems if most people don't have the problem, then maybe it is only those that are power users & have a SD Card.
    Would someone be kind enough to try this?.
    f40: yeah, good idea.. I did it. No change, still 1 to 3 second delay with or without the SD inserted.
    We have three T650 users in our office...all have the delay.
    I have to say the delay is starting to bother me some. I really do like my 650 alot, but last night we had a situation with my daughter and had to get in touch with her in a hurry. I clicked on her speed dial button and seemed like forever for it to start dialing (or at least to go to the phone screen).

I don't plan on returning my 650 because of this, but I'm hoping P1 is keeping track of all of these little things and at some point comes out with a ROM update to fix them (if possible).
    Check out the video HERE

Early in the video you will see him dial a number... His is at least 3X faster than mine from the the time he pushes the dial buttonto when the dialing screen is displayed.
    I also have the dialing delay combined with the momentarily blank screen.
    Could it be the voice dial application causing the lag?
    No difference for me with or without a voice dial app. And I would say that the video is more like 10 times faster! Pretty much instantaneous. What is up with that? Good catch.
    Quote Originally Posted by rriehl
    Check out the video HERE

Early in the video you will see him dial a number... His is at least 3X faster than mine from the the time he pushes the dial buttonto when the dialing screen is displayed.

Everybody here has a delay, but the guy pitching the product doesn't ...hmm interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    No difference for me with or without a voice dial app. And I would say that the video is more like 10 times faster! Pretty much instantaneous. What is up with that? Good catch.
    He's dialing with the dialpad, not a "favorite" or from contacts. When I physically put in a number, it dials almost instatnly. If I use one of the favorites buttons, call log, or from a contact entry, I get the 2-4 second delay. My guess it is memory related - perhaps the movement of data between RAM and FLASHRAM - who knows.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    No matter where I dial from I get a huge delay.
    This delay problem is rapidly overtaking the memory issues for me and becoming the number one problem with this phone. It's really driving me insane. Sometimes the phone won't even turn on before 6 or 7 seconds have passed. I looked like a complete ***** today at the airport when I told the person at the counter "hang on, I have all the data here in my phone". With the 600 I would have the data in front of me in 1 second flat. With the 650 I stood there pressing those 2 buttons hoping one of them would wake up this stupid phone. After the delay it did 2 or 3 things in a row, with smaller delays and blank screens in between. By the time I got to the information I was just pissed off at this display of general crappiness.
    I'm still keeping the Treo but I don't really like it, it's just a poorly executed device.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    This delay problem is rapidly overtaking the memory issues for me and becoming the number one problem with this phone. It's really driving me insane. Sometimes the phone won't even turn on before 6 or 7 seconds have passed. I looked like a complete ***** today at the airport when I told the person at the counter "hang on, I have all the data here in my phone". With the 600 I would have the data in front of me in 1 second flat. With the 650 I stood there pressing those 2 buttons hoping one of them would wake up this stupid phone. After the delay it did 2 or 3 things in a row, with smaller delays and blank screens in between. By the time I got to the information I was just pissed off at this display of general crappiness.
    I'm still keeping the Treo but I don't really like it, it's just a poorly executed device.
    Couldn't of said it better myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    ...Yes, the Treo 650 has some minor hangups that I wish were not there(memory issues, dial lag, bad mic.) but come on this phone is the best smartphone on the market right now! It's not even close. As far as the camera is concerned, it is a huge improvement over the 600 and it is takes better quality pictures than some of the 1.0 megapixels. If you want a decent camera to print pictures you are going to have to buy at least a 3.0 megapixel camera. The vast majority of Treo users only take pictures to email and to view on the desktop. You can't have EVERYTHING in one package and keep the size down! It's not possible. It's like wanting to have all of the performance of a Porsche 911 turbo and being able to carry a load of plywood in the back.

If you really did not like the Treo, there would be no reason to keep it. I certainly do not keep products that I don't like! Just admit it, you like the Treo 650. It just has a few bothersome issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by mortgageguy
    ...Yes, the Treo 650 has some minor hangups that I wish were not there(memory issues, dial lag, bad mic.) but come on this phone is the best smartphone on the market right now! It's not even close. As far as the camera is concerned, it is a huge improvement over the 600 and it is takes better quality pictures than some of the 1.0 megapixels. If you want a decent camera to print pictures you are going to have to buy at least a 3.0 megapixel camera. The vast majority of Treo users only take pictures to email and to view on the desktop. You can't have EVERYTHING in one package and keep the size down! It's not possible. It's like wanting to have all of the performance of a Porsche 911 turbo and being able to carry a load of plywood in the back.

If you really did not like the Treo, there would be no reason to keep it. I certainly do not keep products that I don't like! Just admit it, you like the Treo 650. It just has a few bothersome issues.
    Well said. I love this freaking phone!
    Eric
    FWIW I spoke with my Spring business rep yesterday and was told that they are working on a ROM fix for the delay problem.

I agree that this is the primary problem with the 650, at least for me. I am not running big db apps an only have about 1,000 contacts. I can work around storage; it is performance that is driving me crazy.
    I agree its my #1 gripe, I hit the dial button again just as it was going to dial, this is getting annoying!
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    Do you all get the power on delay as well? It's about a quarter second and happens when you turn the unit on.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast