Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    the urge was so great i had to forceably put it down because the joy of seeing its innards spilled would have been so great.

after 4 days of flawless work, for no reason whatsoever, i wake up this morning to a completely dead phone. response whatsoever. after hitting reset about 5 times i use the phone on button at which point it wakes up and does its seizure inducing song and dance where it makes the little pop sound and the keyboard starts strobing. after 10-12 failed hard reset attempts (a hard reset never failed on the treo 600) it seems cleared and stable but when i try to turn the phone on. boom back into the reset loop. after 6-7 more hard reset attempts it seems to be working. i do a backup of my stable condition from Teal Crapup and it resets again.

Finally now even after a hard reset, if i try to do a soft reset as a test after the hard reset i get endless loops meaning i have to leave for work now and i have no phone at all which means im screwed. I may jump ship soon.
    Wow, sounds like a nightmare.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    Sounds like me with my Bluetooth problem. Except after a while a hard reset worked.
    I am not satisfied with P1's rma policy. Why can't a new phone be shipped with the return kit. Like (dare I say this) SPRINT does.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Why can't a new phone be shipped with the return kit. Like (dare I say this) SPRINT does.
    It can. I just did it with P1 for a dead pixel.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    what did you say to them to get them to agree?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    WTF. i thought i had it fixed. i totally reset the phone. did a hot sync from when everything was ok and things were right in the world.

then i get to work. i scroll thru contacts. phone resets....
    i try to answer a call from an important client. phone resets.
    i try to view my schedule. phone resets.
    what in the name of god is going on here.

i have news for P1. if you are going to tout your device to corporate bigwigs or IT people, you got a major problem because you dont test your damn devices before they leave your company.

i work for a mid sized firm and this is killin me. if a CEO had issues like this once, this 650 would be in the garbage and he would be right back to a Blackberry.

seriously.. i did not pay $650 for a device that can only handle contacts, phone calls and task management. i had one of those 6 years ago.
    what in the hell what in the hell what in the hell. ]

honestly i feel like im carrying a device that is made of somethign that might melt when it gets wet or anything that might just disintegrate at a moments notice. is anyone with me? is anyone fed up? does anyone wanna raid the p1 office and scream bloody justice!!!!
    a new phone ? I'll bet you get a refurb. That's how Sprint replaced my defective 600's. After about 3, they did give me a new one, in the store.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Has any one else experienced your phone indicating it's off, then when you turn it on, it doesn't turn on? Or it looks for network, not to be found. This happened to me the other day and I called Sprint. They were confused because they said my phone was forwarded some how...........

update.... Sprint had me take battery out and replace it. That worked...anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by bobbdd; 11/29/2004 at 11:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    this morning my phone was totally off. nothing i would do would get it to turn on and it had 100% charge when i went to bed. it took 5 minutes of pressing the power on button, hitting reset..

also sometimes.. and i kid u not.. the phone seems to only react when i pick it up or touch it. like it was frozen on the plamone logo for like 50 seconds. i picked it up and it reset again.

another time the screen was flickering non stop and i just stared at it waiting for it to stop then when i picked it up it reset.

i hate you p1.
    does your phone still reset on incoming calls?
    can you get into contacts?
    does it reset when trying to send an sms?

if so, your contacts db may have gone corrupt. any chance on syncing an old version?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    what did you say to them to get them to agree?
    I just asked. And I doubt it's a refurb. Came with the appropriate tapes in place and all sealed as new. (plus there probably werent any refurbs yet since i did it on launch day)
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    WOW, my phone powers off, as I mentioned above. The "take out battery" routine didn't work the second time. I called Sprint back and they said I should take it to a store to let a tech look at it. I reminded them that the 650 isn't in stores yet and even it was, what would a tech say? (need I say more)

I had to soft reset and take the battery out twice before the phone would work. I called Sprint and they are getting me a new phone I think.......

But I'm still curious to see if anyone else has had a similiar problem.....BTW, I have NO applications currently loaded on the 650, other then what comes with it.
    resets sound like a software issue.
    What kinds of apps are u running?
    Have u tried installing one app at a time to see which program is triggering it? Sounds like the 650 isn't compatible with a lot of third party software as of yet. Vendors will have to update versions of their apps. I would put all of my info on the 600 and hold onto the 650 until at leqst you hear more from your fellow 650 owners who have experienced similar probs. and found ways to solve it.
    Sorry to hear your hqving problems. Best of luck to you.!
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    this morning my phone was totally off. nothing i would do would get it to turn on and it had 100% charge when i went to bed. it took 5 minutes of pressing the power on button, hitting reset..

also sometimes.. and i kid u not.. the phone seems to only react when i pick it up or touch it. like it was frozen on the plamone logo for like 50 seconds. i picked it up and it reset again.

another time the screen was flickering non stop and i just stared at it waiting for it to stop then when i picked it up it reset.

i hate you p1.
    This sounds like a hardware fault of some kind, like a bad memory connector or power connector somewhere. I had similar behavior from a previous ThinkPad I owned and a Palm M500, in both cases there were internal hardware issues (RAM socket issues with the ThinkPad, ROM connections with the M500). Complete replacements were in order in both cases, I think you should get a replacement as well.
    WTF. i thought i had it fixed. i totally reset the phone. did a hot sync from when everything was ok and things were right in the world.

then i get to work. i scroll thru contacts. phone resets....
    i try to answer a call from an important client. phone resets.
    i try to view my schedule. phone resets.
    what in the name of god is going on here.

i have news for P1. if you are going to tout your device to corporate bigwigs or IT people, you got a major problem because you dont test your damn devices before they leave your company.

i work for a mid sized firm and this is killin me. if a CEO had issues like this once, this 650 would be in the garbage and he would be right back to a Blackberry.

seriously.. i did not pay $650 for a device that can only handle contacts, phone calls and task management. i had one of those 6 years ago.
    what in the hell what in the hell what in the hell. ]

honestly i feel like im carrying a device that is made of somethign that might melt when it gets wet or anything that might just disintegrate at a moments notice. is anyone with me? is anyone fed up? does anyone wanna raid the p1 office and scream bloody justice!!!!
    P1 doesn't seem to get that a premium price for a device that doesn't work well breeds a lot of negative reaction.

And the REAL issue: Why didn't P1 have TC members beta test the unit? I guarantee 50 fanatics from this site would've weeded out most problems. And it would'nt have cost them anything.
    i saw some of their financials on cnbc...
    p1 posts a profit margin of like 33 percent...
    corner cutting, anyone?
    it seems like in order to ensure long term survival, p1 should dip a little into that profit margin to make more rugged, reliable products. it'll pay back, too, because they will have to spend lots less money replacing defective ones... just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    P1 doesn't seem to get that a premium price for a device that doesn't work well breeds a lot of negative reaction.

And the REAL issue: Why didn't P1 have TC members beta test the unit? I guarantee 50 fanatics from this site would've weeded out most problems. And it would'nt have cost them anything.
    Actually, even one experienced user could have picked up most of these bugs within a week. Sign up a group of 10 mature, hardcore Treocentral members with an NDA and in two weeks Palm would have pretty much every problem documented and a few solutions offered, to boot.

What you don't understand is that Palm is becoming accustomed to letting paying customers do the beta testing for it. This won't change unless people vote with their wallets and refuse to buy buggy products.
    the urge was so great i had to forceably put it down because the joy of seeing its innards spilled would have been so great.

after 4 days of flawless work, for no reason whatsoever, i wake up this morning to a completely dead phone. response whatsoever. after hitting reset about 5 times i use the phone on button at which point it wakes up and does its seizure inducing song and dance where it makes the little pop sound and the keyboard starts strobing. after 10-12 failed hard reset attempts (a hard reset never failed on the treo 600) it seems cleared and stable but when i try to turn the phone on. boom back into the reset loop. after 6-7 more hard reset attempts it seems to be working. i do a backup of my stable condition from Teal Crapup and it resets again.

Finally now even after a hard reset, if i try to do a soft reset as a test after the hard reset i get endless loops meaning i have to leave for work now and i have no phone at all which means im screwed. I may jump ship soon.
    Geez, it's just a $600 phone. You want it to keep your data? That's why you hotsync. Losing all your data overnight is not a bug, it's a feature. It's not like you would TRAVEL with these things - they are expected to be linked via cable to your computer everyday.

All you doom and gloomers posting anything that hints at the Treo 650 being anything less than the absolute best Smartphone possible in the world and any suggestions for product improvement will immediately be berated for your unjust negativity. Remember the mantra: "PalmOne can do no wrong.... Bluetooth is fabulous.... Having a much clearer screen is worth sacrificing 1/3 of the memory....people who wanted to upgrade from the T600 are 'unreasonable power users'...."
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Mine will no longer run Blazer--performs a soft reset everytime I try to run it. I've had it since Wed, and it worked fine up until this AM. Maybe a Sprint problem?

Verichat and Versamail work fine.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm Apologist
    Actually, even one experienced user could have picked up most of these bugs within a week. Sign up a group of 10 mature, hardcore Treocentral members with an NDA and in two weeks Palm would have pretty much every problem documented and a few solutions offered, to boot.

What you don't understand is that Palm is becoming accustomed to letting paying customers do the beta testing for it. This won't change unless people vote with their wallets and refuse to buy buggy products.
    Oh, I understand all too well about P1 and their back-asward way of product testing.

I was just "dreaming", so to speak.