Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Was a happy upgrade buyer from the T600 to the T650 and received the free BT250 headset. This is my first Bluetooth headset so I wasn't sure of what to expect but after some testing, I'm convinced that either my phone or the BT250 is defective or Bluetooth is just crap.

Here is my scenario. I've paired the BT250 with the T650 and can make and receive calls. Now if the phone is within 1 foot of the headset the sound quality is acceptable. Once the phone gets to about 4 feet though, the static is unbearable. Even my callers are complaining that I sound digitized. Four feet should be more than reasonable as I'd like to leave my phone in a pocket while taking on the BT250. Now that said, I do run WiFi in my home so is this a conflict and should it be so severe?

What are other people's experiences? Can you really get 20 or so feet away with call clarity, even in a Wifi environment? Do you think I might have a defective device?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    its your wifi combined possibly with a keyboard/wireless mouse and or 2.4 ghz phone coupled with the fact that the BT250 is indeed a piece of smoking crap.
    Something is crap for sure. I thought it was all the wifi/phone interference at home. Yesterday I took it out for a spin, same old crap. Unless the phone is almost right up to my ear, it's all noise/static/click/pop/etc.
    Anyone found if it's the Treo or the BT250 fault yet?
    I have the 650 and BT250 - so far so good. I really haven't had too many complaints, however I haven't really used it a ton yet. From what I can tell I have used it at home and in my car, where the phone is in my pocket and I use the BT250 to answer calls - sound quality on both ends is good. The only thing I can't figure out is that you're supposed to be able to REDIAL by pressing and holding the Phone button on the BT250 for 2 beeps... but it hasn't worked for me. It's also annoying that there is no way to program a Voice Dial button on the BT250, so you need to fumble for the phone in order to dial a number... the next generation is supposed to have a programmable button so we'll see what happens there... but as far as everthing else, I've read about other people's problems, but I haven't encountered any as of yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by wikka
    Something is crap for sure. I thought it was all the wifi/phone interference at home. Yesterday I took it out for a spin, same old crap. Unless the phone is almost right up to my ear, it's all noise/static/click/pop/etc.
    Anyone found if it's the Treo or the BT250 fault yet?
    Yeah, the Bluetrek G2 hast the same problems. Static city no matter if you're in a WiFi setting or the middle of a corn field. It's fine if you are like a foot from the 650, but as soon as you move, etc., it breaks up and is all staticy. Some have suggested it's b/c bluetooth 1.1 was used. My question is, if 1.1 is that bad, why does ANY manufacturer use that standard when 1.2 is avaialble? It's practically useless.

I just can't buy into the magic of bluetooth quite yet. I kinda hope it's an issue with the 650 that can be resolved via a software update. Otherwise, I can't see how bluetooth users worldwide tolerate this madness!

The only time I use my BT headset is if I'm laying in bed or something where I am very still. Otherwise, it's my Shure Quiet Spot WIRED boom headset. That thing, surprisingly, is crystal clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg
    Was a happy upgrade buyer from the T600 to the T650 and received the free BT250 headset. This is my first Bluetooth headset so I wasn't sure of what to expect but after some testing, I'm convinced that either my phone or the BT250 is defective or Bluetooth is just crap.

Here is my scenario. I've paired the BT250 with the T650 and can make and receive calls. Now if the phone is within 1 foot of the headset the sound quality is acceptable. Once the phone gets to about 4 feet though, the static is unbearable. Even my callers are complaining that I sound digitized. Four feet should be more than reasonable as I'd like to leave my phone in a pocket while taking on the BT250. Now that said, I do run WiFi in my home so is this a conflict and should it be so severe?

What are other people's experiences? Can you really get 20 or so feet away with call clarity, even in a Wifi environment? Do you think I might have a defective device?

I ran in to the same problem with a 250; it's a.), not that great, and b.) a wi-fi environment makes it worse.

Blame it on using BT 1.1 in the Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I ran in to the same problem with a 250; it's a.), not that great, and b.) a wi-fi environment makes it worse.

Blame it on using BT 1.1 in the Treo 650.
    The issue with the Jabras is not BT 1.1 vs 1.2. The big improvement in 1.2 is frequency hopping to allow it to stay outside the frequency of WiFi and cordless phones. That's not the Jabra's problem since static can also be heard out of range of this interference.

The problem with Jabras are that the RF is not very good and body parts can interfere. For instance, having the Jabra on the right ear and the phone in the left coat pocket. The same thing happens with my iPaq 4700 when I listen to audio books. However, a Motorola HS820 was much better on both my iPaq 4700 and Treo 650. Unfortuately, I love how the Jabras fit around the ear (as opposed to the HS820, which "hangs" off your ear - like if you move to much, it will fall off). With the jabra, you could run with it with no problems.
    I have the older model, the Jabra 200, which I have had for about a year. I paired it with my T650 last night and was very unhappy with the results as well. Tons of static heard on both sides of the conversation unless I held the phone within a foot or so of the Jabra.

An interesting sidenote. I have an Olympus bluetooth phone/basestation which I have paired with the Jabra as well. It has a very powerful bluetooth transmitter and communicates with the jabra headset without the slightest bit of static. I can move around a 30 x 30 foot room without static and my body movement does not interfere as well.

I therefore wonder if part of the problem is the strength ( or lack thereof) of the bluetooth transmitter internal to the T650 rather than the Jabra headset???
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    ...could be. But as I posted earlier, my iPaq 4700 also displays the same "problem", but both devices do work much better with a Motorola HS820.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    A quick update. Today on my commute down to work, I gave the T650 and BT250 another try. Now on this occasion it worked perfectly! In fact, I was doing a headset test with my significant other and tested between the BT250, a wired headset, and the handset itself. Her description said that the quality was best on the handset, followed closely by the BT250 and then the wired headset. I found that particularly interesting. I then placed the phone about 5 feet away and the call clarity on the BT250 remained clear. Once I stopped, I got out and began walking away and had 20 feet of clear signal.

So, I think the bottom line is the my WiFi is severely impacting the clarity while I'm at home. I have 3 laptops, an access point, a WiFi printer and 2 WiFi bridges connected to my LAN and that's not to mention my direct next door neighbor that has WiFi as well. I guess Bluetooth will be relegated to the car for me until Bluetooth and WiFi learn to peacefully coexist.....
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    The issue with the Jabras is not BT 1.1 vs 1.2. The big improvement in 1.2 is frequency hopping to allow it to stay outside the frequency of WiFi and cordless phones. That's not the Jabra's problem since static can also be heard out of range of this interference.

The problem with Jabras are that the RF is not very good and body parts can interfere. For instance, having the Jabra on the right ear and the phone in the left coat pocket. The same thing happens with my iPaq 4700 when I listen to audio books. However, a Motorola HS820 was much better on both my iPaq 4700 and Treo 650. Unfortuately, I love how the Jabras fit around the ear (as opposed to the HS820, which "hangs" off your ear - like if you move to much, it will fall off). With the jabra, you could run with it with no problems.
    Read the post; I never said it was Jabra's fault (completely); it's more the fact that P1 put BT 1.1 in the device, instead of 1.2. That said, the Jabra 250 would still have the same issues.

I guarantee you if you use a BT 1.2 headset with BT 1.2 phone, you will have less static and interference, regardless of vendor.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg
    A quick update. Today on my commute down to work, I gave the T650 and BT250 another try. Now on this occasion it worked perfectly! In fact, I was doing a headset test with my significant other and tested between the BT250, a wired headset, and the handset itself. Her description said that the quality was best on the handset, followed closely by the BT250 and then the wired headset. I found that particularly interesting. I then placed the phone about 5 feet away and the call clarity on the BT250 remained clear. Once I stopped, I got out and began walking away and had 20 feet of clear signal.

So, I think the bottom line is the my WiFi is severely impacting the clarity while I'm at home. I have 3 laptops, an access point, a WiFi printer and 2 WiFi bridges connected to my LAN and that's not to mention my direct next door neighbor that has WiFi as well. I guess Bluetooth will be relegated to the car for me until Bluetooth and WiFi learn to peacefully coexist.....

Sounds familiar...in the car it's good, at home, amongst the wi-fi, it's horrible.
    Hence the need for BT 1.2 (or 2.0)
    Same problem here. I too have a wifi network at home. I can't go more than a couple of feet from the phone without static and popping. in my car its much better. Its a shame that with all of the technology, all of our wireless equipment still interferes.
    Have yet to try this out in my car yet...will do so later tonight on my drive home. In my house there is also too much static and yes, I have a wireless router, printer, blah, blah.

I'm not sure that I'd really want to use the BT in the house anyway. For me the beauty of BT is that I can use it in the car and answer calls from it without having to fart around with my T650.

Of course, it's a real shame the 250 doesn't have voice tags since that would be nice. Kind of negates having a BT headset if you have to fart around with your phone to make a call !!!!
    Does anyone have issues walking into other rooms? I have the Jabra headset, and I have heard mixed reviews from people on the other end of the line. Overall, people I call have understood me, though once I walk into another room, be it five feet or thirty feet away, all bets are off.

I do not have any wi-fi set up, so I cannot attest to any of the problems other people have mentioned.
    I started a thread about this the other day:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=63833

Not sure why the mods saw fit to move that one but keep this one here. Had they kept mine in place, this new thread might not have been started. Oh well, lesson learned.

Bottom line: WiFi is the enemy of BT 1.1. In your car, you should be fine.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati
    Of course, it's a real shame the 250 doesn't have voice tags since that would be nice. Kind of negates having a BT headset if you have to fart around with your phone to make a call !!!!
    Tell me about it. My "dumb" Sony-Ericsson T608 supports voice dialing out of the box. Go figure. No wonder Hawkins is selling his stock.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I'm having the same issue. Seems like it's a BT1.0 and BT1.1 issue, but I don't have reliable info right now....
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Ok, so this is a little twist on this whole story. So I had a defect in the keyboard of my original Treo 650 and did an advance replacement with PalmOne for a new one. Lo and behold, once I paired up the BT250 with the new T650, the performance of my bluetooth connection increased dramatically! This was a complete apples to apples comparison as I was in the same room with the same WiFi networks blaring and where I couldn't be more than 2 feet away from my 1st T650 and could be 15 feet away from my second one! So it seems that the transceiver might have been defective in my first phone!

Perhaps I will be able to use Bluetooth in my Wifi filled office after all! I've also noticed the time delay for call setups has also declined!!!