1.    #1  
    How do I go about setting my Treo up to play back MP3 audio. I've never used an MP3 player so I don't know jack. Don't I need to purchase an SD memory card?
    Hello Tony. Yep, get an SD card...the bigger the better. The newest version of Pocket Tunes supports mp3 and wma (I believe), so you should get quite a few hours of songs on a 512mb card. If you don't have the stereo headphone adapter, order it today from P1 or here at TC, get a pair of headphones and you are set. I don't use mine for a full time player because of battery use and my need for the phone and email, but it does work when I want to listen to the occasional tune.

Good l uck.
    Rick
    "...There is no try..." - Yoda
    I use Pocket Tunes on my Treo 600 all the time and find that it does not severely impact batttery life. 45 minutes of music only uses about 5% of the battery.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    very cool...maybe I will start hauling along my headphones!
    Rick
    Ptunes only sucks batttery if you're trying to stream shoutcast feeds. Othersie its fine. Also, Real palyer is free...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Ok, I'm lost. I'm VERY new to this. How do I get the tunes on to my sim card?
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the battery info gfunk...I use my Rio Nitrus for my MP3 player almost exclusively...maybe I should buy a bigger card and try the Treo more.

Successm....the easiest way to transfer your mp3 files is to get a card reader and put your card in it and transfer your songs to the Audio folder on the card. You can sync to the Treo card directly, but it is slower.
    Rick
    I doubt you're using a Mac, but if you are, the Missing Sync integrates very nicely with iTunes in order to manage the music on your SD card.
    Successm....the easiest way to transfer your mp3 files is to get a card reader and put your card in it and transfer your songs to the Audio folder on the card. You can sync to the Treo card directly, but it is slower.[/QUOTE]

Do I sync using Hotsync/Pocket Mirror? Never sync'd anything other than the typical outlook files.
    Thanks,
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I think I'm a minority here, but I use Real Player Mobile with a 1gb card. Sound quality is great (192kbps), and even though I have the "soft reset" issue on occasion, I like the software just fine.
    Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    I think I'm a minority here, but I use Real Player Mobile with a 1gb card. Sound quality is great (192kbps), and even though I have the "soft reset" issue on occasion, I like the software just fine.
    Vince
    Yup, nothing really wrong with Real imo. It's just that some users would like support for OGG Vorbis, wma etc as well as streaming shoutcast and mp3 support...

Btw, for adding music to your treo, here are some methods:

-hotsync: slow and torturous
    -card reader: simple, efficient but req erta hardware
    -card export: faster than hotsync and no extra hardware req

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    gfunk, quick question...
    what exactly is ogg vorbis or where is that information handy? I haven't had any problems using mp3, but I'm always open to a better way...
    Thanks,
    Vince
    My files are all in WMA so , I had to use pTunes and I use Mac too , Missing Sync does the job , for Mac users

You can get Free pTunes Basic (v2) , when you register your treo with PalmOne , choose ptunes as your free gift....Then , get a 2-in-1 Headset or program such as Freedom , which allows you to play MP3 on the mono earphone

You do not need SD Card for newer pTunes (just try the demo out) , reason : , because if use Windows, the Plug-in ,automaticly converts files into PDB File , of coruse , there are big , and actually , you can fit a song or two (depends on the MP3 Size)
    Vinman- it's an opensource method of sound compression. Read up if you wish: http://www.vorbis.com/index.psp
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    thanks, the site makes it sound like a "better mousetrap" sales pitch, but since it's free opensource, I guess it may be worth trying! I'm thinking of trying "Aerodrome" because it looks like a very functional player compared to RP. I like the idea of having EQ to adjust for different headphones.
    Thanks for the link.
    Vince