Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FWIW, I have a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card, because Palm said it was the fastest one the 650 supports. If I take pics directly to the card, the delay is so bad I can't stand it. I take em to internal memory and then copy/delete when I am stuck bored somewhere.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie
    FWIW, I have a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card, because Palm said it was the fastest one the 650 supports. If I take pics directly to the card, the delay is so bad I can't stand it. I take em to internal memory and then copy/delete when I am stuck bored somewhere.
    hmm. i just tested my kingmax 60X 1GB card, which is notoriously slow on writes, and while it's slower than internal memory, it's not too bad.

unscientific test, clicking pix as fast as i can for thirty seconds,

internal memory: 13 images in 30 seconds.
    SD card: 7 images in 30 seconds.

about half the speed.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    great review. to add my 2 cents, i think even less of the connector than anastrophe does. i have connected lots of electronics over the years as i'm sure we all have, but i have been getting a 'connection error' message about every other time i hook up my phone to the computer.

another item i don't trust, is the battery cover. so far it's OK, but if i keep having to open it to do hard resets over and over, i question how well its latches will hold up. seems on the flimsy side.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Yes, it is rediculous that a $10 (cost to them) cradle is not part of a $600 phone/PDA. A cradle I suspect would put less stress on the connector and would also offer a safer position for the 650 rather than have it sitting loosly on your desk while connected.

It seems that decisions like this, as well as others, like only a 32MB chip instead of 64MB, will end up costing them more money in the long run with defective connectors, free SD cards and extra development time to fix the memory sectors issue. Really, was this nickel-n-diming worth it for P1?
    Dumb question, but how did Palm handle the battery changing issue back in the days of AAA batteries? Back then, I had a Palm V, so I sidestepped alkaline batteries. But you had to yank those AAA batteries from time to time for replacing.

It seems to me that this problem is not a new one. Their unique solution to this problem was probably addressed much more elegantly by their predecessors.
    jasondeno,

You just hotsync'd, changed the batteries, and then Hot Sync'd again. They talked about this at the DC Road Show. They said that hotsyncing was originally developed just to get around the battery replacement issue. Wierd, but interesting.

anastrophe,

Good review, thanks!
    First, genius review Anast..

Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Yes, it is rediculous that a $10 (cost to them) cradle is not part of a $600 phone/PDA. A cradle I suspect would put less stress on the connector and would also offer a safer position for the 650 rather than have it sitting loosly on your desk while connected.

It seems that decisions like this, as well as others, like only a 32MB chip instead of 64MB, will end up costing them more money in the long run with defective connectors, free SD cards and extra development time to fix the memory sectors issue. Really, was this nickel-n-diming worth it for P1?
    Great points Dale. I got my 600 cradle from someone on ebay for like 11 bucks, so Palm can probably produce them for $2... I do believe that's the biggest cheapskate move not including that with their Treos. All the PPC devices come with them.

I wish someone would totally steal the Treo's shape/style/"formfactor" (getting sick of that word) and produce a solid performing device. Well steal as much as possible legally..
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    ...steal as much as possible legally..
    ROFL!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    Dumb question, but how did Palm handle the battery changing issue back in the days of AAA batteries? Back then, I had a Palm V, so I sidestepped alkaline batteries. But you had to yank those AAA batteries from time to time for replacing.

It seems to me that this problem is not a new one. Their unique solution to this problem was probably addressed much more elegantly by their predecessors.

This issue was solved seven years ago by PPC devices using a button battery.

Why P1 reinvented the wheel is beyond me. Talk about over-engineering a solution for a problem that was already fixed.

I'm still curious how there will be a ROM fix for the memory issue; the file system issue (PalmSource?) seems pretty tough to tackle in the near-term.

I've seen comments that it can be done, or that it can't (in the near-term (3 months).

I am betting that it won't get fixed anytime soon, but we will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    ROFL!
    Yes, and I propose naming it the Quado
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    First, genius review Anast..

Great points Dale. I got my 600 cradle from someone on ebay for like 11 bucks, so Palm can probably produce them for $2... I do believe that's the biggest cheapskate move not including that with their Treos. All the PPC devices come with them.

I wish someone would totally steal the Treo's shape/style/"formfactor" (getting sick of that word) and produce a solid performing device. Well steal as much as possible legally..

BenQ P50 (a.k.a. the BenQ Quinto)

http://www.engadget.com/entry/9784679680278770

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/benq...ttt-023000.php

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4754.html

http://www.brighthand.com/article/No...P50_Until_2005

Too bad it's not Palm OS.
    Only question is - "Where is the Benq 50, and when will it see the light of day?" My bet is shortly after the Samsung i550 (which, by the way, was approved by FCC April 2004 and is still in cave in Afghanistan somewhere).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno

With the Palm's that used AAA batteries you had like one minute to change out the batteries or you would have total memory loss. So you would sync just before you changed out batteries just in case, and hopefully before they totally drained. Then you changed the batteries. Usually this would be fine. But if it was not you just synced again.

But you could pull out the battery and change them without losing all of your data.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Only question is - "Where is the Benq 50, and when will it see the light of day?" My bet is shortly after the Samsung i550 (which, by the way, was approved by FCC April 2004 and is still in cave in Afghanistan somewhere).

I hear Osama has finished beta testing both devices. They will arrive by camel in July, 2005, Allah be willing.

BenQ P50 Akbar!

Samsung SPH-i550 Akbar!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12