Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I current own a Hitachi P300 from SPCS for appro 3 years,never had the need for the Top of the line phones or change my phone every 3 months like many people over sprintusers.com do. Never mind the endless earpeice battles.

After reading a few reviews/pics from this forum,I guess it's time to use my 18 months rebate and get the 650.
    I'm not a business man nor receive tons of emails daily,my contacts will be about 25-30 people on my phone list and a few emails.
    I'll be using mainly for web browsing/ few emails/MP3/watching movies and believe or not making phone calls.

Cameras is good to have,but I really won't bother with it.

This forum has just to many information for me,I never use it/touch it a PDA before so bear with me on my stupid question.

Internet : What kind of Virus protection should I get ? How much ? Can I get it for free ?

Internet : Which app would you guys recommend to run everything that my home PC runs ?

Internet : There's any app to alter the main Icons ?

Internet : Would I be able to run stream video ?

Internet : Do I need to install any app to run my MP3's ?

Internet : I use gmail/yahoo/rcn/company's email. How can I view them in one single app ? Is it possible ?

Playing DVD's : Which software do I need to convert my DVD's ?

Playing DVD's : If I use a 1Gig card,how many 90min movies will I be able to
    store in one single card ?

Playing DVD's : Hardware needed to transfer from DVD into a Mem card ?

Bluetooth : Which headset should I get ?

I read a couple days ago someone said that he had DVD/CD library on his Treo.How can I get that ? I'm using DVDprofiler.com at the moment,but I'm only able to view on my PC.

I'll get my 650 as soon as hits the SPCS stores.I want to be prepared,know what to do before buying it.

Thanks for you patient.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I think you might find quicker answers if you do some searches on this forum.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    I'll try to answer some:
    Internet : Which app would you guys recommend to run everything that my home PC runs ?
    It will come with Docs to Go, a really cool Office compatible program. Has some quirks but does a great job with word and excel (not perfect) files... it can even import powerpoint (the weakest of the 3), PDF files, txt files, etc... (edit: it can also VIEW/EDIT directly native word/excel, and now powerpoint files =D)

Acrobat Reader exists for the palm... eh, not that great...

It comes with an email client... there exist IM software for it... I do not recommend AIM ($20 from AOL)

BTW, Welcome to the world of PalmOS, so far virus free (so far) there may have been one on some GB emulator but they are few and almost non-existent, if ANYONE tries to sell you on anti-virus s/w for the palmos they just want to make some $$$ off of you.

What would you like to do? THERE is a lot of free and great shareware s/w for the PalmOS. (games, drawing, image viewing s/w, chat, etc.)

You need launcher to do this. I am a ZL fanatic, but there are other (yishow, hilauncher, facer) that let you ULTRA customize your pda (background images & even icon sets), I highly recommend ZL (great file manager, customization, lot's of icon/bgrounds on the internet; and with the memory issue with the 650, a great 'powerrrun' move program to external SD feature)

Note, sure, having REALONE on there probably, depends what Sprint has to offer.

Note sure but I beleive REALONE will play the mp3s right out of the box, BUT there are some AWESOME mp3, oog vorbis, etc programs out there (aeroplayer, mmplayer, pocket-tunes)

Internet : I use gmail/yahoo/rcn/company's email. How can I view them in one single app ? Is it possible ?
    gmail <-- it is tricky but possible, do a search on 1src.com ; I hope versamail will do the trick (otherwise there are other programs)

THere is Kinoma, I;ve seen a DVD converter program (I am an NX70 user so it won't work for me) do a search on 1src.com and THERE is a forum dedicated to videos (and so many sources to tv programs, videos, clips, etc. out there)

Depends on the quality of the transfer, FROM what I have seen, it seems SOUND quality greatly affect the size of the video... but then again, I have not done much research in this area...

DVD-drive... software, hopefully plenty of PROCESSING power (board, main processor, time) and copying over to your sd card.

Don't have one... lot's to choose from, hopefully someone can make a recommendation (or search for reviews)

Here is an AWESOME resource for s/w reviews and comparisons!!!
    hth
    Last edited by jmg_P1OS21; 11/28/2004 at 05:29 PM.
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    I've been using pocket-tunes for a few days now, it's pretty awesome. I especially like the idea of streaming mp3 off shoutcast.com. Ton of talk radio and music channels.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick answer guys.
    Okay...here we go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Webb
    Internet : What kind of Virus protection should I get ? How much ? Can I get it for free ?
    I wouldn't worry about. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $only$ $3$ $known$ $palmOS$ $viruses$ $in$ $existance$ $and$ $one$ $of$ $them$ $only$ $affected$ $you$ $if$ $you$ $tried$ $to$ $download$ $a$ $hacked$ $version$ $of$ $liberty$! In short, don't worry about it. This isn't M$!

Umm...what do you mean. What apps are you referring to? For text editing, DTG7 bundled with the Treo 650 which allows native viewing and editing of MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint. For email, the bundled Versamail allows pop/IMAP support for various accts. For image viewing, the bulitin viewer is nice, but there are many 3rd pary viewers like Resco and Splashphoto that allow more powerful and better sync of you online images. Then there are apps for personal finance, PIM replacments, phoen dialer replacements, scheduling, games, unistall managers, etc... There are literally tons of apps out there for you to choose from...

Yes, there are many Launcher replacement apps out there that let you completely change/customize the way palmos looks. Below are a couple reviews of the various options out there for you to consider. Alot of folks here prefer Zlauncher for it's many features:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/softwa...hers_part2.htm

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/softwa..._launchers.htm

Kinoma support streaming in its proprietary format. MMPlayer support mpeg streaming, but afaikafaikafaik $it$'$s$ $still$ $in$ $beta$. $Also$, $the$ $650$ $has$ $builtin$ $in$ $support$ $for$ $3GPP$ ($a$ $mobile$ $streaming$ $format$ $based$ $on$ $quicktime$) $and$ $I$ $expect$ $wirelesss$ $providers$ $to$ $soon$ $support$ $streaming$ $apps$...

Yes, Versmail should do this. Also there are other options like Snappermail as well. Yahoo requires a paid subscription to access it's pop3 servers, however you can access it free via the mobile stie...

Try PocketDVD studio. You will need MMplayer to view them, however, many are saying that the bulitin in media player may support it if yo uinstall via the install tool (and converts to asf).
    Typically, a ripped dvd takes about 200-300 MB, so I say a you may be able to fit 2-3 movies minimum depending on the rez, framrate etc you rip...
    You can transfer via the install tool, but that will take forever. I probably recommend you get a cheap card reader to make things easier. Or you could use Card export II from softick.com that lets you view the SD card on your treo as a logical HD on your desktop.
    Not sure about that one!
    [/QUOTE]

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    As far as headsets go, do not get this kind...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Wow great guy ,you're better than P1 CS

Let me go back on one issue.I have to buy a software just to block calls from #'s that are not in my phonebook ?

Let me go back on one issue.I have to buy a software just to block calls from #'s that are not in my phonebook ?
    you can choose a custom ringer for phone#'s not in your phonebook I think, for example a "silent" ringer... not sure though.
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Does any1 knows ?

Thanks
    Try Callfilter...however I'm not sure if its compatible with the 650 yet. Checkout the software compatibilty thread sticky to check...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Try Callfilter...however I'm not sure if its compatible with the 650 yet. Checkout the software compatibilty thread sticky to check...
    Bummer I have to spend 20.00 on something that my 3 year old Hitachi P300 can do it for free.
    Then just leave the phone off. That will block calls and won't cost you a thing.