1.    #1  
    Has anyone used a Kensington BT USB adapter with their 650 for syncing? Best Buy has them on sale and I'm thinking about getting one. If you've used one, how difficult was it to setup to hotsync.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    Has anyone used a Kensington BT USB adapter with their 650 for syncing? Best Buy has them on sale and I'm thinking about getting one. If you've used one, how difficult was it to setup to hotsync.
    As a matter of fact, I have one. Works well, I've used it to sync and I'm trying to use the network adapter to do reverse DUN now
    easy to install. works great. I successfully got DUN, file transfer and hotsyncing to work. I used bluefiles from softick to do the file transfer.
    Range is a bit short (about 8-10 feet). Not sure if that is the fault of the kensington adapter or the Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by ephman
    easy to install. works great. I successfully got DUN, file transfer and hotsyncing to work. I used bluefiles from softick to do the file transfer.
    Range is a bit short (about 8-10 feet). Not sure if that is the fault of the kensington adapter or the Treo 650.
    How'd you get the file transfer to work? My bluetooth software always complains that "file transfer services is not available on device treo 650" when I try to connect to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    How'd you get the file transfer to work? My bluetooth software always complains that "file transfer services is not available on device treo 650" when I try to connect to it.
    I use a program called bluesfiles.
    http://www.softick.com
    You can try it for 15 days without purchasing.
    It works okay. The big problem is that I can only get it to read from and write to the root directory on my SD card. I made an inquiry to softick and based on their cryptic response, that appears to be a limitation of their current beta release.

Here is their response:
    "Root directory contains list of all available plugin sources. Currently it's only list of expansion cards, but in the future any file manager plugin folders can be listed there. Therefore root directory is generated by bt-ftp server and it's available only for reading."
    I have the Kensington too but find it cumbersome to use. I was told to use these steps to sync a file:

From the laptop
    1. Download the file or program, then right click on it
    2. Select Send to
    3. Choose Bluetooth then Other
    4. From "select device"
    5. Highlight file
    6. Click OK

I thought BT syncing would be a lot simplier than these SIX steps. If there is another way, please share it.

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I thought BT syncing would be a lot simplier than these SIX steps.
    That's not syncing... it's plain vanilla file transfer via Bluetooth.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    That's not syncing... it's plain vanilla file transfer via Bluetooth.
    Ok, that makes sense.

So can someone please tell me the right way to sync with the Kensington BT? I tried the Hotsync icon on the unit and got the following messages:

On the laptop: Bluetooth Connection Successful

On the Treo: "Connecting with the desktop using my user name, then this message:

"The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Plese check your setup and try again."

P.S. I've called Kensington and they tell me to call P1. Just tried again, their closed. BTW, P1 says this is not a P1 certified BT device for the 650.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I'm surprised you guys didn't know this (or did you) but I finally got my BT working! It was a simple matter of having the com port match in my Hotsync Manager Local section. I was trying to use Com 5 and I should have been using Comport 4.

I finally got someone at Sprint help me since I did not want the hassle of returning the Kensington.

In my mind the USB adapters should all work and not just the one's that P1 certifies.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I'm surprised you guys didn't know this (or did you) but I finally got my BT working! It was a simple matter of having the com port match in my Hotsync Manager Local section. I was trying to use Com 5 and I should have been using Comport 4.

I finally got someone at Sprint help me since I did not want the hassle of returning the Kensington.

In my mind the USB adapters should all work and not just the one's that P1 certifies.
    I had the same exact problem. The bluetooth com port did not match the local com port and thus I couldn't Bt hotsync or transfer file using OBEX. Once I changed the local com port to match the bluetooth com port I was able the hotsync, DUN, and file transfer to and from my Treo 650 using OBEX.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    hey im a new user here and just got my treo. I got this kensington bt adapter but when i try to create a virtual serial port from the software i got from kensington, i get a "my device does not support Bluetooth Serial Port"

this is when i click on the "bluetooth serial port" from the software to add it, so that i can hotsync with my treo. thanks.
    oh yah i forgot to say Please help!
    If all else fails, call customer support. I have a new laptop with builtin BT so
    i can't really help.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

ok nevermind i figured it out