Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I was shocked to discover that the USB sync cable provided with the Treo 650 does not also provide power. Apparently I have to buy a special sync cable if I want it to double as a charger. However, I can't seem to find any such cable at palmOne's site or at Treo Central's store. Does anyone know where to find one, or whether they even exist? Thanks,

Trevor
    I just bought one from Ebay and I'm using it now with pdanet to surf:-)
    Charge, Sync and Surf...only cost $12 to include shipping!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

www.treobits.com
    Treo 600 friendly website with Ringtones, Shoutcast Feeds and more...
    Quote Originally Posted by vocaro
    Hi all,

I was shocked to discover that the USB sync cable provided with the Treo 650 does not also provide power. Apparently I have to buy a special sync cable if I want it to double as a charger. However, I can't seem to find any such cable at palmOne's site or at Treo Central's store. Does anyone know where to find one, or whether they even exist? Thanks,

Trevor
    Ok, this is slightly odd, but:

My [included] USB cable does charge my Treo 650. It appears that it provides less power than the actual charger, as it does not appear to charge while in use (ie, when plugged in and I am toying around with it). I do not get an indicator stating it is charging. Additionally, it will not pass the 99% mark when plugged in to USB only.

I found this out by mistake; I went to bed one night, too lazy to go out to my car to get the standalone charger. Battery was at 55%. When I woke up, it was at 99%.

Since then, I have been using the USB cable to charge overnight at home, the included "adapater" to "adapt" a Sprint car charger with the new(er) Universal Plug to to the Treo 650 while in the car, and the standalone included charger while at hotels/customer sites.

-jd
    This does appear to be the case for me too. It looks like even though the charging LED doesn't light up it really is charging. I wonder if it is possible to plug the Treo 650's sync cable into the Treocentral modular usb car adapter plug that I purchased for my 650. it is a cigarette lighter adapter with a USB-looking connector.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by grsmith
    Thanks for the tip! But I'm wondering... Does your cable suffer from the same odd charging problems that doogles and ttoppins reported? Or does it behave like a regular charger when you plug it into the USB port?
    very interesting indeed. i just took my battery out of my 650 while only attached to the USB, the keypad lights kept flashing. I forgot my charger at home today and hadn't charged it all last night. I thought i was going to be out of business for today. it's charging. slowly but surely it's charging.
    I'm guessing it may not be ENOUGH power to run without the batt while using the usb sync cable alone.
    If anyone sees a self-retracting USB charging cable with hotsync button, please post.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 11/28/2004 at 08:23 PM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Treocentral and Boxwave are both supposed to be making one.
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    Ok, this is slightly odd, but:

My [included] USB cable does charge my Treo 650. It appears that it provides less power than the actual charger, as it does not appear to charge while in use (ie, when plugged in and I am toying around with it). I do not get an indicator stating it is charging. Additionally, it will not pass the 99% mark when plugged in to USB only.

I found this out by mistake; I went to bed one night, too lazy to go out to my car to get the standalone charger. Battery was at 55%. When I woke up, it was at 99%.

Since then, I have been using the USB cable to charge overnight at home, the included "adapater" to "adapt" a Sprint car charger with the new(er) Universal Plug to to the Treo 650 while in the car, and the standalone included charger while at hotels/customer sites.

-jd
    I don't see how that's physically possible, unless they gave you a totally different cable...the power pins on the standard cable just pass through to the jack on the back of the connector. You have to plug the wall charger in through the USB cable to get any charging...

-Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    I don't see how that's physically possible, unless they gave you a totally different cable...the power pins on the standard cable just pass through to the jack on the back of the connector. You have to plug the wall charger in through the USB cable to get any charging...

-Brian
    as i mentioned in another topic, i've conformed that it does work. my T650 charges while connected to the multi-connector, but *without* the power connector plugged into the multi-connector. you can verify it yourself - run your battery down some, then plug it into the multi-connector, without the power connector plugged in. take note of the battery capacity percentage before starting. wait a while, maybe half an hour. check the percentage again - it'll be higher. mine went from 92% earlier today to 99% where it is staying now. i haven't tested yet how well it will keep up while the T650 is actually on and in use however. i've just now started that, and will report back.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    as i mentioned in another topic, i've conformed that it does work. my T650 charges while connected to the multi-connector, but *without* the power connector plugged into the multi-connector.
    By golly, it does work. I've confirmed exactly what you said: It charges, but it charges very slowly, perhaps 10% every 3 hours or so. I just never realized it before because the Treo doesn't give any indication that it's charging, as it does when you plug in a regular charger.

Unfortunately, the charging is so slow that it may not be worth it, and I'll have to bring a charger along with me anyway.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    Brian, see my response to anastrophe's post. We've both confirmed that it works; you should try it yourself.

Evidently there is, in fact, a connection between the power pins of the USB port and the power pins of the Treo. Unfortunately I don't have my multimeter with me right now, so I'm unable to see exactly which pins they are.
    how long is the caBLE? The one I saw on there was 12 inches! Way too long. If they have one that is 3 inches, I'd get one maybe. ANd how long did it take to get to your place after you paid the guy?

Quote Originally Posted by grsmith
    Brian, see my response to anastrophe's post. We've both confirmed that it works; you should try it yourself.

Evidently there is, in fact, a connection between the power pins of the USB port and the power pins of the Treo. Unfortunately I don't have my multimeter with me right now, so I'm unable to see exactly which pins they are.
    Cool. While at work, just left my Treo 650 connected via USB sync cable ("look Ma, no power cable!" ) It's not exactly a speedy charge...but my available battery power is going up!

Good to know (at least until a retractable sync/charge cable is available).

Nice find vocaro!
    I woudln't have believed it if I haven't seen it with my own eyes. Kudos to the original discoverer
    Cool, it appears to charge at about .01V every 5-10 minutes. Check the voltage in Zlauncher ever 10 minute or so.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    you can verify this by removing your battery while the power is on and leaving the sync cable in. as mentioned.
    its not going to be enough power to light up your christmas tree, but it makes for an interesting little strobe light while bored.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Thanks for the tip! But I'm wondering... Does your cable suffer from the same odd charging problems that doogles and ttoppins reported? Or does it behave like a regular charger when you plug it into the USB port?
    I haven't tested the "included" in an overnight test to see if it charges. I did conduct a quick test with it and I didn't see it charging and if it was, it was too slow for my liking. The cable I purchased charges fairly quick and allows for syncing.

www.treobits.com
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    how long is the caBLE? The one I saw on there was 12 inches! Way too long. If they have one that is 3 inches, I'd get one maybe. ANd how long did it take to get to your place after you paid the guy?
    The cable I bought is about 5 feet long. This to me makes it easy to plug into any USB port and safely set the Treo on a desk or something while it charges. After I made the purchase from this guy on ebay, I had the cable in about three days.

www.treobits.com
    I don't have ZLauncher, for comparison could someone post what the charge rate is with AC or one of the eBay chargers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast