1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,
    I wanted to put this out there for any developers wanting to do something like this and also gauge interest in this from others.

I really, really miss the power button on my old 600. It was completely instantenous and unambiguous. You could trust it to always dothe same thing, instantly. And I still had a 4th hard button I could assign to anything. Now, with the 650, I lost the power button AND the 4th hard button, replaced with single multifunction button with no noticeable advantage in usability, and actually making it slower, cumbersome, slightly confusing and well, less convenient.

1- It is not instantaneous: the red button actually takes about a second to turn the phone on, and up to half a second to turn it off. This might not sonund like a lot, but it's certainly not instaneous and adds to the overall feel of slowness and sluggishness of the 650 - this used to be instant with the 600's power button. It's impossible to quickly flick the Treo650 on and off in case you forgot to check some information, for example.

2- Using the green button to turn on the phone is even slower, up to 3 seconds sometimes, with an ugly white screen before the phone app catches up with you, and pressing it twice by mistake will cause the call the recent calls list, but not always - it depends on how fast since it lags as well. Pressing it again initiates a call. It's more than ambiguous, it's confusing, and not very reliable.

3- We lose the 4th hard button, which means one less way of launching apps quickly and having to resort to the favorites launcher in lieu of a full app launcher - a sluggish, unrewarding procedure. Also kills compatibility with certain apps that need this button to operate.

4- The side button (widely assumed to be push-to-talk related) does nothing as of today, except launch an application after a couple of seconds of holding. Not very convenient and inexplicable at this point in time.

In short, it seems we lost the ability to quickly (I mean QUICKLY) navigate our Treos without intently looking at the screen and making sure every button press is counting and doing what you think it should. I used to be able to operate my 600 while merely glancing at the screen every few clicks.

What I would like to suggest is a new app that gives us our 4th hard button and our power buttons back, by doing the following:

A- Making the red button end a call *only* when held down for a couple of seconds, for example. The rest of the time it should behave like a regular 4th hard button.

B- Turning the side button to instant on-off switch/wireless switch exactly like our old 600's. It does very little today, and it does it badly. This would be a much better use of this button, imho.

This is a very simple request. Anybody agree this would be a good idea?

Cheers,
    Last edited by NSiNSiNSi; 11/28/2004 at 02:23 AM.
    I don't miss the top botton. I do miss the 4th launcher though and agree that they could make the red button an app launcher + hang up/turn on. I am using the side button for my demo voice dialer app - seems like a logical use.
    My problem with the side button is that you have to do a press and hold. I can't imagine why P1 did that? I hope a "fix" will come out to make it just press. Right now I just have it programmed for the camera. But hope to start doing BT hotsyncing and plan to use it to start hotsync.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    My problem with the side button is that you have to do a press and hold. I can't imagine why P1 did that? I hope a "fix" will come out to make it just press. Right now I just have it programmed for the camera. But hope to start doing BT hotsyncing and plan to use it to start hotsync.
    It was probably Sprint that had them do that, and I bet because the instant press will be PTT (Push to Talk) some time soon?
    How about where the GREEN SEND and RED END only work when a CALL COMES IN. Other wise, they function like normal.

For example
    Button#1 (far left)
    Have both a normal and +opt setting(it has the +opt now) and onll act as a SEND button durring a call.

Button #2-fine
    Button #3-Fine

Button #4 -
    At best, have both a normal press option and +opt and keep the hold for Radio On/Off.Then allow the 'power' to be sent to the side button for an instant push. Also, only have that button act as an END durrring a call.

At the very least, just add the ability to change the +opt from Keyguard to what ever.

We could get a think tank with Shimon, Rob and Geoff, it seems up their alley (Takephone, Butler, TreoGuard (respectively))
    I don't mind the press and hold for the side button, but I wish that pressing it would turn the Palm on. I use the Voicedial software on the side button and first you must turn on the power button, then hit the side button - two steps instead of one. The only buttons that seem to turn on the Palm are the four primary buttons, green phone, red phone, calendar and mail. I'd like to see the side button added to that list.
  7.    #7  
    In terms of design, I don't really see an alternative to having the green button be anything but the phone app button. It makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is effectively eliminating the 4th hard button in favor of the nearly useless red button. It's especially bad because it seems to have two behaviors attached to it. Sometimes it will execute whatever function is assigned to that button and then inmediately turn the phone off, which is frustrating to say the least.
    My problem with the side button is that you have to do a press and hold. I can't imagine why P1 did that? I hope a "fix" will come out to make it just press
    I hope and pray that someone will adapt a one touch memo application to it like it used to have on the Tungsten T...either that or, as mentioned, a PTT application would be logical there
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    In terms of design, I don't really see an alternative to having the green button be anything but the phone app button. It makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is effectively eliminating the 4th hard button in favor of the nearly useless red button. It's especially bad because it seems to have two behaviors attached to it. Sometimes it will execute whatever function is assigned to that button and then inmediately turn the phone off, which is frustrating to say the least.
    I would like to make the first button (Green Phone) either Takephone or a 2Phone type app, so if it was configureable, that would fix that. I bet getting to that would not be too hard (just guessing), but I bet the last button, woul dbe very embedded, exspecialy the radio on/off. However the off/on of that button may not be as hard? Just thinking outloud..
  10.    #10  
    I just don't see why we should not have complete control over something like button assignment on our devices. These things are so personal, they should be completely customizable...

You may be right about the red button's functions possibly being embedded very deeply. I hope not though, it seems I am not the only one frustrated by this "usability misstep" as it was celverly put in another thread.
    how do I post a thread? i know this doesn't belong here, but i don't know where to go
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    I just don't see why we should not have complete control over something like button assignment on our devices. These things are so personal, they should be completely customizabl...
    I agree 100%, if the end users wants to make a feature not even avialable, that should be their choice, just give the "reset all" in the buttons app, so if they need to trouble shoot over the phone, they can restore it to the original state.
    An example for your point is the keyguard on both the 600 and 650, that should have been selectable IMHO, I never used it, so I lost a opt+button option. How hard could it be for them to include that? Have the option +4th button be keyguard or anyother app. It's just a matter of software, hell, even have a 'hidden' menu for avance users, like snappermail has. That will keep the average joe out of it, and give the diehards a way to configure..