1.    #1  
    It seems that the T650 can send contacts, images, files, etc via OBEX and Bluetooth. Has anybody made this work with a desktop? If I try to push a file (like a picture from the camera) to my computer, the Treo says it "can't connect." Do most WinXP bluetooth stacks even support OBEX? I have an IBM Thinkpad T42 with the IBM BT adapter and stack.

Thanks,
    Chris
  2.    #2  
    I finally figured it out. This works on my computer, but I'm not sure how much difference there is in Bluetooth stacks across various vendors. Your mileage may vary.

1) On the PC, Launch the Bluetooth File Transfer Wizard (found under Accessories, Communications)
    2) Select "receive"
    3) Find something to send on the T650. For example, when looking at a picture, push the menu button, select 'Send', and select Bluetooth.
    4) As long as your computer is discoverable, you should be able to select your computer by name on the Treo.

That should do it!
    This information relates to the Windows XP sp2 default BT drivers.
    I'm not even getting to where it says it can't connect. I take a picture, SEND, then Bluetooth, and nada. Is there something I missed?
    I know that for PIMs, on my machine, you go into the Bluetooth Configuration control panel, and under the "local services" tab you need to enable "Pim Item Transfer" which is actually OBEX. You can configure it to beam into a folder (vcard, vcal, txt etc...), or straight into Outlook which is somewhat cool, although you'll probably just HS anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotChris
    I finally figured it out. This works on my computer, but I'm not sure how much difference there is in Bluetooth stacks across various vendors. Your mileage may vary.

1) On the PC, Launch the Bluetooth File Transfer Wizard (found under Accessories, Communications)
    2) Select "receive"
    3) Find something to send on the T650. For example, when looking at a picture, push the menu button, select 'Send', and select Bluetooth.
    4) As long as your computer is discoverable, you should be able to select your computer by name on the Treo.

That should do it!
    A little late in responding, but in case anyone else has this same question -

You should also have the Bluetooth blue icon with a white symbol inside sitting in your sys tray on the Windows taskbar. If you right-click, the menu should include Send File and Receive File.

Send works well because you don't need to do anything else on your Treo, assuming Bluetooth is on and the screen is on (or if it is off, it will wake it up if you have that checked on your 650 in the Bluetooth app under Options-Allow Wakeup).

Sending from the 650 to your PC is more cumbersome because you have to choose to receive a file. If anyone knows if there is a way to have the PC set to always receive files, let us know, but I don't think this is possible, at least with the SP2 BT stack.

I had a lot of problems getting my Belkin USB adapter to work after setup. After finding out that SP2 users can use either the driver from Microsoft or from Belkin, I decided just to stick with the SP2 driver, since I can get BT hotsync, DUN (with shadowmite's patch), and File Transfer to work fairly consistently, and I was still having problems getting the Belkin BT software to recognize any of the services of the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird
    You should also have the Bluetooth blue icon with a white symbol inside sitting in your sys tray on the Windows taskbar. If you right-click, the menu should include Send File and Receive File.
    My Bluetooth icon has a red symbol inside and I cannot figure out why. It says I have no bluetooth devices or something similar. I too am using the Belkin usb adapter and can still hotsync via bluetooth. Any ideas why I have the red icon and how to fix it?
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere... Write that down."
    -Van Wilder
    Quote Originally Posted by bobva6
    My Bluetooth icon has a red symbol inside and I cannot figure out why. It says I have no bluetooth devices or something similar. I too am using the Belkin usb adapter and can still hotsync via bluetooth. Any ideas why I have the red icon and how to fix it?
    If you are using Windows XP SP2, you must have loaded the Belkin software from the install CD. The blue icon with the red symbol is Belkin's icon, meaning it can't find your adapter. This is because Windows XP SP2 tells your card to use the default Microsoft BT driver and ignore anyone else's software.

You have two choices:
    1) Continue to use Microsoft's BT driver. You will want to uninstall the Belkin software to get rid of the blue icon with the red symbol inside.
    or
    2) Tell Windows to use the Belkin software. You will want to go to Device Manager from the Control Panel, select the BT radio and manually update the driver to read Belkin Bluetooth device.

That is the upshot. There are more details in other posts, so do a search for Windows XP SP2 and Bluetooth if you run into any problems, or give Belkin support a call. If you are still stuck, you can post back here and I will try to help more.
    I have had success transmitting files from Treo to PC, but get an error when transmitting file from PC to Treo using all methods discussed.
    I do note that my Treo does not show up in the "My Bluetooth Neighborhood area" but the treo is recognized. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Jason
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I use the 3Com USB Bluetooth adapter on my Windows 2003 Server. It will receive items from the Treo 650 into it's bluetooth inbox.. very handy! Memos become little text files. However, images don't seem to transfer all the time. I have to look into this some more.
    For the Mac you don't have to do anything, as long as bluetooth is enabled. You send the file or vcard or whatever, and the Mac will pop up a window to confirm what you want to do with it. Nice!
    this is a great fix that should have originally been part of the treos profiles.....
    install softick blue files
    it makes the file transfer service available....you can then move files to and from the treo easily..
    just found it today!
    I've searched quite a lot in the past few hours, and haven't found a lot more than this thread for discussion or help regarding sending files to and from a Treo 650 via Bluetooth. If anyone has any other locations that I should check out for help, please post them here!

I think I've got sending files from laptop to my Treo 650 via BT down, but sending them from the Treo 650 to the laptop via BT is nearly impossible! I have integrated BT on an IBM T42p laptop and I cannot get a picture to go from the Treo to that laptop via BT at all. I have an older Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop that I went out and bought a Belkin BT adapter for, and I got a picture file to go from the Treo to the Dell Inspiron 8200 via BT ONCE! Now, whenever I try to send a picture from the Treo to the Dell Inspiron 8200, it fails, just like with the IBM T42p. This is driving me INSANE! Both the Dell Inspiron 8200 with the Belkin BT adapter and the IBM T42p with the built-in BT are using the manufacturer's drivers for BT and not the default windows ones. I guess perhaps I'll try uninstalling the manufacturer's drivers for the Belkin BT adapter and see if I can get a picture file to go from the Treo to the Dell Inspiron 8200 using just the default Windows XP BT drivers. The thing is, I know it can be done using the manufacturer's drivers, because it worked once before. It seems to work over PIM File Transfer...or at least thats how it worked the last time. If anyone has any advice or suggestions or can offer any help, it would be greatly appreciated! This is driving me NUTS!

Thanks!

P.S. When attempting to send a picture file via BT from the Treo to the IBM T42p, I can see the BT icon in the system tray change color so I know there is some communication going on there, but almost immediately it changes back to its default color and I get a failure on the Treo 650. I'm guessing that somewhere along the line the BT drivers/software on the laptop are rejecting the communication attempt or otherwise not enabled to allow the PIM File Transfer...but as far as I can tell, I've done everything I can to enable them....
    Yes! I figured it out...

If you go into the advanced configuration for the Bluetooth (this is for non-WinXP bluetooth drivers - I've tried it with both IBM T42p BT drivers and Belkin USB BT drivers) and then choose local services, and then select PIM File Transfer and click properties. There's a section labeled Received items there. You have to change the different choices there from Do Not Accept to accept. For all other types, choose save to folder and specify the folder. This should do the trick and allow you to send files from the Treo 650 to the computer via Bluetooth. I swear I checked this like twenty times and it was set-up properly, but maybe I'm just losing my mind. Anyway, after going back and checking it again, I saw that it wasn't set up properly, and when I made the above modifications, it now works. Additionally, the benefit here is that you can send files to the computer via BT without having to first specify on the computer that it is going to be receiving files (as you would have to do with the native WinXP BT drivers). Anyway, hope this helps someone else out there...I spent 5 hours pulling my hair out before I finally got it working!
    Here's a fix for the Belkin Bluetooth problem from Belkin's home page. Worked great for me.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I know this post is a few years old... But I just wanted to thank mbressman for taking the time to post his solution, which after many other futile efforts worked perfectly for me too on a T40.

So, thank you!
    Jesse