Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have the Splash application suite from my Treo 600. I just installed them on the Treo 650 and expected it to work. They ask me for a registration code? Do I really need to have a registration when I upgrade hardware? I plan on cleaning my Treo 600 completely and selling it on eBay.

I guess there are two issues. One is the legal issue of whether I'm able to simply use the same version on a new device. Two, if I am okay with doing that, where can I get a registration code for unlocking the applications. If I'm not legally able to, I suppose I'll go buy the suite or look into alternatives.
    If you bought it for the Treo 600 and are removing it from the old phone, you can (both leagally and technically) use the same reg code. You just have to re-enter it.

-Brian
    i think he is talking about the included apps that came witht the 600.

my thought is that, can you sell the 600 without the included apps? they are on the cd, but i guess you can just give the person who buys it the latesr desktop on a seperate cd.

i'm keeping my 600, even after the 650 arrives a couple of months from now. but, i dont use any of the included splash programs. i own splash id, i owen pocket pc delux. the only app that will tranfer, is klondike even though there is another klodike in the box.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I moved from my Treo 600 SplashPhoto, which came (I think) with Snappermail Enterprise, over to my Treo 650. It works great.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I'm talking about how the Splash suite was included on the Treo 600. Hence, I sort of bought it when I bought the Treo 600.

I guess I don't remember the Splash apps asking for a registration code before (it was over a year ago), but not it is asking for it. I guess I'm wondering if I just have to dig through a lot of documentation to get it. Anyone else have this with the Treo 650?
    Hmm. Did you try reinstalling them from the 600 CD? Or did you just copy them from your backup of your 600 unit? I had the suite before I had the 600, so I didn't use the included version. It really is an excellent set of products though.

Not sure about the legality of moving the bundled 600 version, if it's even possible to do...

-Brian
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I ended up buying SplashID to get the PC interface for it. So I have a registered version. But...

My guess would be that SplashData included a version on the 600 install CD that was hardcoded to run only on a Treo600. If you try to run on a different platform it will run only as a trial version. This is exactly what ElectronHut did with their 600 version of Klondike Solitaire and what NormSoft did with their 600 version of ptunes. That what e-mail responses from both companies told me.

ERic

P.S. The Handmark/650's free version of Klondike sucks compared to the ElectronHut/600's version.
    If you copy the apps to the 650 they will run as a trial ver. If they are installed via a user id restore they seemed to work as if they were on the 600. There wasn't a reg code they are just unlocked on a 600, this tells me the liscense is only good for the 600. I plan to pay for mine on the 650 when the trial runs out.
    As I recall, I beamed SpashPhoto from my 600 to my 650.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    If you copy the apps to the 650 they will run as a trial ver. If they are installed via a user id restore they seemed to work as if they were on the 600. There wasn't a reg code they are just unlocked on a 600, this tells me the liscense is only good for the 600. I plan to pay for mine on the 650 when the trial runs out.
    Hmm, it seems to me that if it runs from a user ID restore than it should work if moved via back-up. I don't know if it speaks to the legality though. I suspect if I e-mailed the same files I installed to a friends Treo 600 (without Splash) it wouldn't work.

If the license was for only the Treo 600, I would think it would start by detecting the device it's running on and then either denying you or not depending on whether you are using a Treo 600 or not.
    What does it say in Options | About SplashMoney? I bought my copy (don't have a 600) and it lists my registration code as the last line, right under the URL.
  12.    #12  
    It says: "Trial Mode: 29 days left" on my Treo 650.

I should probably check what it says on my Treo 600.
    That would be what I meant, yes.
    Last edited by GregV; 11/28/2004 at 02:15 AM.
    on the 600 it says something like "treo 600 bundd
    Bill Petro...

how did you move your actual photos over the the new Treo... i'm in the same boat... i have the app beamed over, but now need to get my images over there...

thanks for any help.
    Answers to two questions:

1) It says "Snappermail bundle" in "About"

2) How did I move the photos over? Turns out I just moved my SD card from my 600 to the 650, and I had kept all my photos on the card. However, the 650 Camera app does not see them, only SplashPhoto does. I don't know if it's a folder hierarchy issue or a photo format difference.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
  17.    #17  
    It turns out that I don't have it on my Treo 600 anymore. I guess I had to reset it at some point and didn't put it back on. I did find a new prc that doesn't look like it's an actual app. I hope it unlocks it when I sync it up next time.
    I was using SplashID to store all of my passwords on the 600 and now it won't run on the Treo 650. It will run as a trial but even then my passwords are gone. I tried resotring via backupman as well as putting those files on my pc from my Backup_Old folder in my backup Folder. Did I miss a file that has the data in it? I copied over all of the files that begin wtih SplashId.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    I was using SplashID to store all of my passwords on the 600 and now it won't run on the Treo 650. It will run as a trial but even then my passwords are gone. I tried resotring via backupman as well as putting those files on my pc from my Backup_Old folder in my backup Folder. Did I miss a file that has the data in it? I copied over all of the files that begin wtih SplashId.
    You can beam them over by selecting the "all" category, then go to file and select "beam category"
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    You can beam them over by selecting the "all" category, then go to file and select "beam category"
    Thank you.
    Does this mean I should load my old SplashID on someone's 600 and then beam all entries over to a version which is currently on my Treo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast