Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    TreoAlarm is an alarm clock with weather forecast for Treo 600.

Among the most interesting features of TreoAlarm:

- manual or automatic weather update using internet connection (very efficient, uses about 2 Kb per weather forecast)
    - color weather icons
    - multiple alarms
    - gently ascending ring tone volume
    - and more...

For more information and to download the latest version, please visit:

http://www.treoalarm.com/download.html

TreoAlarm is currently in public beta, no registration is required to download and use it.
    Hey roustk, I was starting to love this app of yours when I had my Treo 600. Any chance in supporting the Treo 650? A reset occurs everytime the alarm goes off and I select one of the three options.
    Last edited by TR30; 11/29/2004 at 01:21 PM.
    roustk,

I downloaded and installed TreoAlarm and I have to say, it's a pretty nice app. I've been looking for a BogClock replacement, so this might fit my needs.

Things I'd like to see:
    - Multiple saved city support (via a dropdown, perhaps?)
    - ability to remove the weather graphic and substitute a mini-calendar and date (Tues. Nov 30th) instead of locating that information in the titlebar where it's tougher to pick out.
    - Louder alarms - when my alarm went off this morning, it was a great deal quieter than the default max setting I have set for my calendar and phone ringer. Is there a simple way to tie this to the calendar alarm setting perhaps?

Otherwise, a great app! I'd pay to register with some of the above features implemented

-adi
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
  4.    #4  
    adi, this is great! Thank you for your ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by adimiron
    roustk,
    - Multiple saved city support (via a dropdown, perhaps?)
    There is a history of last 5 downloaded cities (available, if you tap on the forecast header or click Select button).

- ability to remove the weather graphic and substitute a mini-calendar and date (Tues. Nov 30th) instead of locating that information in the titlebar where it's tougher to pick out.
    This is very nice, I like it. I'll try to add it in one of future versions.

- Louder alarms - when my alarm went off this morning, it was a great deal quieter than the default max setting I have set for my calendar and phone ringer. Is there a simple way to tie this to the calendar alarm setting perhaps?
    This is in fact a feature It starts playing at the lowest volume level and gradually increases it to the maximum you set in Alarms...|Edit...|Sound...|Max Volume.

Otherwise, a great app! I'd pay to register with some of the above features implemented

-adi
    Quote Originally Posted by roustk
    There is a history of last 5 downloaded cities (available, if you tap on the forecast header or click Select button).
    Hah! perfect! Just what I was looking for! So I can preload 5 cities (Home, Work, Corporate HQ, Ski House, etc) and check the weather to load them into the program, and voila, I've got my functionality. Excellent!

This is in fact a feature It starts playing at the lowest volume level and gradually increases it to the maximum you set (Alarms...|Edit...|Sound...|Max Volume) .
    Ok, I'm retarded. I even went into that dialogue to preset the midi file I wake to. This is clearly an ID 10 T error on my part. Thanks for reminding me

Another feature that would be nice would be an auto-disconnect preference instead of having me manually disco the connection. I know that the Treo has a passive connection mode where calls can come through, but I'd like to have it fully disconnect so as to save battery power.

Again, a great app, and my new alarm clock. Big Clock is finally getting a suitable replacement
  6.    #6  
    TR30,

Please try version 0.94d:

I got it working on the simulator and hope it'll work fine on real device.
  7.    #7  
    adi,

Thanks for the comment about auto-disconnect. I've added it to version 0.94d. (Alarms...|Edit...|Disconnect after download)
    TR30,

Please try version 0.94d:

I got it working on the simulator and hope it'll work fine on real device.
    Thanks, roustk!! Works great now on the 650! The only issue I found so far is that the center button of the 5-way does not work. When the Alarm screen comes up, I cannot select any of the 3 on-screen buttons using the center button. I have to use the stylus. Other than that, it's lookin' good. If anything else comes up, I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the update!
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Great application!!!!!

Any chance of using some "hi res" icons for the weather Reports?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Great application!!!!!

Any chance of using some "hi res" icons for the weather Reports?
    The only thing I am concerned about is the size of hi res images (right now the images take about 50k -- i.e. hi res images will add extra 200k).
    Thanks for this app roustk. It is great! I have the side button set to launch it and it's the perfect alarm in the morning or whenever. The weather function was a very nice touch.
  12.    #12  
    mortgageguy, Thank you for using TreoAlarm! I am happy you like it.
    roustk,

Are you using the NWSNOAA XML service to pull down information? I was just reading today about how they are releasing weather info in XML to allow easier access.

FYI: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/forecasts/xml/

UPDATE: I just looked at the specific feed for Central Park in NYC... WOW. The XML looks pretty explicit and should allow for some wonderful extracted and re-formatted weather data. Here's an example RSS/XML feed:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/data/current_obs/KNYC.xml

Also, I'd like to see a little reformatting of the weather information if at all possible. When I look for that info, my first instinct is to find out the temperature.

"As an example, my current NYC Forecast through TreoAlarm is:
    Partly cloudy and windy. Lows around 40. West winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph. Decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight."

That's great, but I have to read the whole thing to get all of the information.

Here's a reformatted version:
    "Low 40s. Partly Cloudy and windy. West winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph. Decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight."

I know that the information is probably not presented in a consistent format, but being able to parse the temperature and main conditions (clouds/wind/precipitation) would make things a lot easier in terms of user experience.

I also want to thank you for writing a great app and I look forward to continued excellence!

-adi
    Last edited by adimiron; 12/06/2004 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Additional Info: Example XML Page
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30
    The only issue I found so far is that the center button of the 5-way does not work. When the Alarm screen comes up, I cannot select any of the 3 on-screen buttons using the center button.

Any word on this. Are you going to add support for the center button, as taking out the stylus is a pain.
    I can't get this program to work even since 0.92. I can go every where in the program and download the weather fine (which is all I use it for right now). Anyway the alarm never goes off. I will wake up and turn my phone on, and boom all of a sudden the alarm will go off, with no way to turn it off. I have to do a soft reset to stop the noise everytime. And I am on my 2nd Treo 600 and this happens with both...

The alarm never sounds until I turn the phone on, and then it will come on instantly even if its 2-3 hours past the original alarm time. Any suggestions?

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    I just dl'ed this program and noticed that it doesn't do mp3's. This is just the app I need to get rid of Butler. Can you please include mp3 in thur (there for those that don't get it)?
    I like the idea of this app as well and had considered developing my own to use the noaa xml feeds as adimiron had mentioned. I currently use palmaryClock for my alarms, and it includes other great features and skins, but it's lacking the weather aspect. if this alarm can incorporate some of the clock features that the palmaryClock has, I'd definitely consider switching over. I'm surprised it's taken this long to get this idea out!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    The alarm never sounds until I turn the phone on, and then it will come on instantly even if its 2-3 hours past the original alarm time. Any suggestions?
    techprincesse,

Do you turn off the wireless connection at night? If you do and you have "download weather forecast" checked in alarm properties then TreoAlarm will try to download weather forecast before alarm. Unfortunately, current version is a bit dumb it will get stuck until you turn the wireless connection back on.

I'll have to do this better, for now please look at "Alarms...|Edit...|Download weather forecast" field and if it checked -- turn it off for the alarm that goes on in the morning.
  19.    #19  
    LordPhong,

Thanks for the feedback. I am working on mp3 playback.
  20.    #20  
    [QUOTE=adimiron]Are you using the NWSNOAA XML service to pull down information? I was just reading today about how they are releasing weather info in XML to allow easier access.[/QUITE]

Wow, that's quite a research you did -- thanks. I have to admit I didn't explore all the alternatives and somehow missed this url which is very useful and would have saved me a lot of time. Instead of using XML, TreoAlarm server parses the html feed from www.crh.noaa.gov or www.srh.noaa.gov (a few times a day one of these servers goes down, so I have to switch to another one on the fly). I managed to get quite an experience in using python and regular expressions to process html -- xml would be so much better.

I can probably add another weather source based on this XML feed and have some formatting done the way you described it. Thank you very much for the feedback.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast