Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am holding off on upgrading my 600 until I see what bugs are worked out of the first 650s being distributed now. So, if the 650 turns out to be a bust (doubt it) I'm curious what others would consider a viable alternative. What other phones out there have the screen, PIM/Phone combination and similar form factor or smaller than the 650 that would make it worthwhile considering? Palm or non-Palm.
    there is nothing even close. yet I haven't played with the new Sprint blackberry?
    that's easy. Treo 600
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I am starting to sound like a broken record but for a business oriented device,my 7100T kills my T600 from Sprint.the low price makes it a great bridge device until the bb software comes to the treo line and the memory issues are worked out.
    The 600 is now a mature device that is just as good as the 650 in most respects.

- Handles memory better
    - Third/Fourth Rev, most bugs worked out
    - Speedier interface, application launching, and what not...

Sure the screen isn't as nice and it doesn't have Bluetooth, but in general it does everything the 650 does just as well if not better.

If you don't have to be the first kid on the block with the latest and greatest toys, then the 600 is a very good choice. You can probably snag one for $200 (make sure you get the latest Rev).
    I am still enjoying my original HANDSPRING T600...
    Sony Ericsson p910
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    pda2k($$$$), hp6315($$$), or treo600($$)
    I vote Treo 600. I'm still enamored with mine, and the more problems I hear about with the 650 the more I'm considering flipping my VC order on ebay when I get it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Supposedly the MPx from Motorola is coming by next month. There is very little info from Motorola themselves regarding this product but it basically has all the bells and whistles, ie Qwerty keyboard, 1.3 megapixel cam, hi res screen, wifi, bluetooth, etc but runs windows. No idea on price as of yet. Also another product is the A630 (I think that is the Product number) from motorola. Similar product to the above except not as feature rich...I think Cingular is either selling it or will be in the next couple of weeks.

Mpx link: http://www.slashphone.com/71/1161.html

A630 Link: http://www.slashphone.com/74/1122.html

rob
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Supposedly the MPx from Motorola is coming by next month.
    I seriously considered the MPX. I thought the dual-hinged design was very innovative (and I don't hate PocketPC,) but then I found the achilles heal of the MPX and decided to pass. 32mb of RAM. 32mb of RAM on the Treo650 with the new NVFS is bad. 32mb of RAM on a PocketPC is absolutely horrible. (There's a reason why PocketPC devices all have a lot of memory. They need it because everything Microsoft is a resource pig.)

So I think the executives at Motorola making memory decisions beat out the executives at P1 making memory decisions for the twit of the year award.

Now it's possible things have changed since I last looked. The MPX should have been out by now and then was delayed and the delay may have been because of an effort on Motorola's part to upgrade the memory, I don't know. If they did upgrade the memory spec I may have to take a second look because otherwise it seemed very cool!
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    I seriously considered the MPX.
    Tri-band will not cut it in the US. It is missing the 850 band... This is the biggest thing I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    Tri-band will not cut it in the US. It is missing the 850 band... This is the biggest thing I think.
    Fair enough, although I'm in Canada and my current phone... (original n-gage, don't laugh, okay laugh it's laugable but I like it and side-talking is cool I don't care what you say, anyway I'm writing java games for mobile devices and this seemed like a good choice at the time)... where was I, oh ya my current phone is tri-band it works fine for me where I live and it worked great during my trip Poland and it worked fine in Las Vegas so not much of an issue for me, but I totally understand that people have to go with the technology that suits their area and if you need the 850 band well then you need the 850 band.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    Tri-band works just fine in the US, you just need to check the bands against your carrier. T-Mobile uses the 1900 band, so this phone would work fine on that carrier. The 850 band only becomes a requirement if you're using AT&T/Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayazo
    I'm curious what others would consider a viable alternative. What other phones out there have the screen, PIM/Phone combination and similar form factor or smaller than the 650 that would make it worthwhile considering? Palm or non-Palm.
    The answer to this will always be subjective. If you're looking for a true PDA platform supported by many software vendors for both mobile and non-mobile apps, then PalmOS and PPC are the best options, which narrows your option to the Treo, Samsung, Group Sense, etc. models on the Palm side, and the Motorola, i-mate, etc models on the PPC side. On the Palm side, I'd argue that the Treo line is the best design out there right now, on the PPC side, Motorola seems to be the most talked-about.

If you're primarily looking for a smart phone (e.g., a phone with some additional PIM functions), and aren't as concerned about platform support by software vendors, then you can also venture into the Symbian and Psion and Linux models out there. Nokia and Sony Ericsson are the top vendors in my opinion on the Symbian side, I've used both in the past and they're very good. In terms of new smart phone models, the Nokia 6630 looks nice but very expensive, and it's not available widely yet, and the SE S700 and P9xx tend to get good reviews, but the P900/910 is also very expensive, and the keyboard on the P910 tends to get panned heavily. You'll be much more limited in terms of third-party apps and desktop support on these platforms, but they're great phones.

My personal decision path to the Treo was a desire to merge my phone and PDA functions, bad personal reviews I've heard from colleagues with their PPC-powered phones (lots of crashes, annoyances with the PPC interface, slow response, etc., depending on the model and the person), the nice design work that went into the Handspring and palmOne Treos, and the very positive reviews I heard from owners of the Treo 600. If I was planning to keep my separate PDA, I'd likely look at the next-generation Nokia or Sony Ericsson phones. The Nokia 6630 and SE S700 look very nice indeed.
    What about this rig? Sounds about the same price... albeit it is only GSM. I like the option of not having a camera... it's not that important to me especially since I'm pretty fussy about my digical pics!

iPAQ h6315

Description: This iPAQ has a 3.5 inch transflective display with 65,000 colors, an integrated VGA camera, SDIO slot, a removable 1800mAH Lithium Ion battery, 64MB RAM/64MB ROM, Bluetooth, WLAN 802.11b, and Quad-band GSM/GPRS (class 10} built-in. An iPaq 6310 model will have the same specs, without the digital camera.

****just read the review and there does seem to be some drawbacks... namely CPU and carrier availability****
    Last edited by IAM_CDN; 12/01/2004 at 01:57 PM. Reason: (just read the review on it)
    If the h6315 is as big as other IPAQs, it's waaay to big to be considered a phone.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I debated hard about returning the 650 and keeping my 600. MOstly because of the memory issue. I ended up giving the 600 to my wife (got to keep my baby in the family). I miss it sometimes, I feel it is built more sturdy and a more stable OS than the 650. Over the last week I am glad I kept the 650. I had to leave off about 40% of my apps from the 600 (most I hardly ever used anyway). I have as many apps as I can on the card, but some don't run off the card or are accessed so often it is a pain to run from the card. PXA overclocker is working great it makes up for the sluggishness, much faster than the 600 now at opening apps, etc. Its a big plus with Gizmo and Nesem working for the 650 now. Everyday there are more and more apps that are compatible and there should be a fix available soon, yeah right. That is the price you pay for being an early adopter. No regrets on this purchase I just don't see a better smart phone now or even in the near future. With Motorola and Samsung vaporware and the new pocketpc phone from Sprint being too much of pda and not a phone in size and integration.
    Just click here ....http://www.nowicom.com/popup.php?akt...id=1007&bild=3

Any comments anyone ?

Also there are some photos here (could ignore the chinese).... http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=1535

and here....

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=1526

and a lot of info here.....

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/rev...ician-en.shtml
    Attached Images Attached Images
    While the form factor on that ppc phone is nice I could never go back to not having a keyboard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast