Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5faq.htm

"If you are upgrading from a prior device, do *NOT* under any conditions follow the upgrade procedure in PalmOne's documentation as it is completely *WRONG* (Treo650 is wrong- and I think the Tungsten T5 includes the same error) and will very likely result in a hung device that requires a hard reset to recover from. It is IMPERATIVE that you rename the Backup Folder before attempting to synchronize with an existing profile (why this information was omitted from PalmOne's directions is a mystery - clearly no one ever tried following their directions while they were doing any testing!!)."

- From CES Dewar, the legendary author of the app, DateBk 5
    I renamed the backup folder and then installed the software and then added the outlook conduits. Everthing worked fine, until I unplug the phone and used it for a day. When I tried to hotsync again it wouldn't hotsync. One hour and 45 minutes later Palm one tech support had me up and running again. I had to uninstall all my root drivers and reinstall my palm software twice. It was a total nightmare. The palm tech lady in India (who was very smart and knew what she was doing- honestly) told me that they are having the sync problem with some of the 650s. I was using a samsung i500 before and she seemed to be very interested in what palm device I was upgrading from. Everyone be patient as we beta test the phone and software.
    The online documentation says to rename the backup folder. But you have to follow the link in their instructions (about halfway down). Here's the text to the link on upgrading from a previous palm device:

Upgrading from another palmOne handheld? Stop here, then follow the steps in our guide to upgrading to a Treo 650.
    Which is on this page:
    Start here: Setting up your Treo 650
    Last edited by mharpen; 11/27/2004 at 06:11 PM.
    Here is a step-by-step process of how to upgrade. This is what palmOne should have put in their printed document but did not:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=14403
    I guess you could call me "lucky" that my hotsync stopped working ages ago. Therefore I am going to install everything for the first time when my 650 gets here. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I guess you could call me "lucky" that my hotsync stopped working ages ago. Therefore I am going to install everything for the first time when my 650 gets here. :-)
    Kurt,

Any way you could post this info more prominently?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Kurt,

Any way you could post this info more prominently?

Um...why?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Um...why?
    Because p1 has distributed wrong printed upgrade information which, if you followed, will result in screwed up Treo 650's. Would be nice if people are referred to the real upgrade info that p1 now has published:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=14403

This site should be interested in informing members upgrading to the Treo 650 on how to avoid huge hassels.
    Oh! That information. :-) I'll stick this thread and see what I can about getting a story on TC's front page (though I'll be using the same link everyone else has access to (http://www.treocentral.com/content/Submit/news.htm).
    here is a FOOLPROOF WAY to upgrade

1) Make a copy of your BACKUP folder and copy any Program files>Program info from ay palm program that contains data.

2) Delete all palm related items from your PC with add remove programs, then the palm software itself.

3) Reinmstall everything from scratch.

4) Take data as needed from palm folder and move it into program files in your computer.

There you go.
    I found it helpful to install only a couple of files at a time. That way, if there was a problem, I could figure out which files were to blame.
    I went to the extreme: I cloned my laptop hard drive to a different drive and tried to hotsync from there. If anything went wrong, I could always hard reset my T650 and go back to my original hard drive. Good thing I did that, as the T650 never actually recovered from my first attempt at hotsyncing, it entered an endless Hotsync loop from which the only exit, after waiting for 2 hours, was to soft reset. When it booted, it told me something to the effect of "Your Treo650 has no memory to continue, please free some memory" or something like that. Tried it again and same thing.
    The only way was by actually starting from scratch and go a couple of apps at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    here is a FOOLPROOF WAY to upgrade

1) Make a copy of your BACKUP folder and copy any Program files>Program info from ay palm program that contains data.

2) Delete all palm related items from your PC with add remove programs, then the palm software itself.

3) Reinmstall everything from scratch.

4) Take data as needed from palm folder and move it into program files in your computer.

There you go.
    These were the steps I took -- then I reinstalled all my apps one or two at a time but i still had major crash loop errors. I think that most of these were due to applications but they were applications on the "green" list. I'm using PowerRun to keep as many apps as possible on my SD card. I found that it was helpful to do a soft reset after every install to ensure that the application was okay. Not sure if the soft reset itself was helpful but ever since I started doing this (after numerous hard resets) I have not had any problems.

BTW - I had a crash loop problem once while in Blazer so now I clear my cache on exit. Not sure this is necessary either but, again, no crash loop problems for two days now.
    Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum/Visor Phone/Treo 180/Treo 270/Treo 300/Treo 650
    w/ the "Quick Install" (Upgrade?), I can't upload my Videos to my 1 GB SD Card (as easy as my Treo 600) through the new Synch...gives me an Error "Unable to add ... external volume" and shows the file w/ an Exclamation Mark...
    Can anyone help me? I completely uninstalled my old stuff (for Treo 600) and installed anew. During install when I hit the HotSync button it detected the device and installed the drivers but didn't HotSync. And I still can't get it to HotSync. Nothing happens at all. BTW, I have XP Pro.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Can anyone help me? I completely uninstalled my old stuff (for Treo 600) and installed anew. During install when I hit the HotSync button it detected the device and installed the drivers but didn't HotSync. And I still can't get it to HotSync. Nothing happens at all. BTW, I have XP Pro.

Scott
    Shut down the computer, restart, uninstall + reinstall again.
    I took the safe route and did not do a sync to my old T600 . Simply started from the ground up and installed latest versions of all the software that i used.

Beamed over my contacts (luckily only had about 30).
    Beamed over my web bookmarks

And of course everything on the SD card moved over hassle free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R

Scott
    Scott, as someone else said: First and foremost, ake a backup copy of your Palm folder somewhere safe, and proceed to uninstall absolutely everything you can find that is related to Palm. I would also hard-reset the 650 . Then, reinstall again, replace the contents of your username folder in the fresh palm folder with the old one, and hotsync. That should help.
    This has got to be easy...I hope.
    I have Palm software for my Clie installed on my pc. User name is same as the Treo 650, but it won't sync, because of the same name. I changed the name of the backup folder to backupold..and it still gives me the same message......cannot have 2 devices with the same name. So any ideas. I am really just trying to get the contact list into the Treo.
    HELP!
    and thanks.
    I have always had problems trying to upgrade Palm Devices when I use the same hotsync name, so I don't.

My key to device upgrades is to use Outlook as my PIM that is the store for all of my contacts and calendar information.

Do not HotSync or assign a HotSync name to the new Treo until you have Outlook and PocketMirror set up with your current Palm or Treo.

Start by using PocketMirror to hotsync all of your Palm Data. Go to Outlook and note the PocktMirror folder. In it you will find a note with your HotSync name. Make a new note there with a new Hotsync name for your new Palm device (Treo650).

If necessary, install the new Palm Desktop that came with the Treo. Now, reinstall Pocket Mirror.

Now, Plug in the new Treo/Palm and when prompted, assign the new HotSync name to the Treo. Now Hotsync and it should have all of your data and you can still HotSync your old device.

Now install you other applications and you are done.

This will method will work for many devices and allow you to HotSync your PIM data with any device that will sync with Outlook including PocketPCs.

The only downside to this method is with Palm applications that copy protect based upon HotSync name. You will need a new unlock code for the new name

Again, the key is to use a new HotSync name.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast