Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have always been able to successfully upgrade with my user name, but it always requires I get my hands dirty moving things around inside the Palm folder...
    Changing the hotsync name would be a big problem for any programs you have registered to it.
    OK I got the Treo to hotsync with the same name by renaming the Backup Folder.
    Now for the dumbest question. How do I get my address book/contacts into the Treo. When I try to manually do a quick install of my address.dat from the backupfolder...it says incompatible file. Someone just be nice and don't yell.
    Thanks guys.
    just cut and paste the old files into the new folder! addressdb, ect...

I'm going to go the easy way, and just uninstall and delete, then reinstall what's compatible based on the boards from scratch, and use my old registration codes. Worked pretty well going from the visors to the treos and beyond! I've still got some contacts left over from 4 devices ago. Backup man also was a reliable way to get back old files, though the 650 is still having a few problems apparently.

I got an email from Teal, saying a new teallock was available, anyone willing to try it?
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    I just wanted to warn folks that one symptom of a bad install is the T650 not recognizing SD cards. That happened to me, moving from an m505 to the T650. I finally figured it out after buying two new SD cards and getting a replacement T650 from Sprint. I ended up creating a new account and moving stuff over manually. Eveyrthing works now. Whew!
    I have a Mac and can't get the T650 to sync to Mac's calendar and address book. I used to be able to do this with the T600. Can anyone help me?
    I followed what they said and mine worked perfectly.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I use Pocketmirror at home but Intellisync at work and I don't think I'll be able to do the total uninstall/delete method at work due to the less than cooperative IT folks.

Anyone have a similar set up that can offer insight?

Thanks.
  8. hls
    What kind of stuff have y'all had happen? I didn't see this until after I just installed. Everything seems to be working ok after day 2.
    help!!
    By: johnski1969 at Today 09:10 PM

just got 650 today..renamed backup folder..cannot do a 1st hotsynch...tried everything w/goldie from sprint...drivers installed..but 650 can't connect! I have removed/installed desktop 10 times, changed HS name etc...nothing works!
    HELP Please...i have virgin 650 & can't synch
    never had synch issue w/600.

HELP!!!!!
    Uninstall all desktop (current and previous). rename all directories and move them to another folder. Hard Rest your treo and start over by installing new desktop, hotsync when prompted... etc.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I messed up. I should know better. I installed my Treo 650 desktop palm over existing Palm for my Kyocera. The result was strange. I can synch the Treo, but I can't launch the Palm Desktop. It crashes.

I uninstalled everything, deleted all directories I know of, restarted and reinstalled the Teo 650 Palm, but the problem is still there. Quck Install launched only once and now it doesn't work. Palm Desktop displays the logo and freezez. But hotsyc works and synchronises outlook and existing apps.

Are there system files, or Win XP DLL files or registry editing I should be doing? I don't want to reformat my hard disk for this.
    For a device that sells for nearly $600, I'm a little surprised that P1 has not yet been tarred and feathered. Is there anyone but a diehard geek that could EVER get any use out of this device without hours and hours of technical help. These are the kinds of companies that wake up one morning to find all their customers have left. And ONLY THEN do they start wondering, "What went wrong?" No doubt the CEO is drawing down a million bucks a year and probably couldn't turn on a Treo if his life depended on it. Sounds like lots of others can't either. Sad!
    Quote Originally Posted by victrola
    For a device that sells for nearly $600, I'm a little surprised that P1 has not yet been tarred and feathered. Is there anyone but a diehard geek that could EVER get any use out of this device without hours and hours of technical help. These are the kinds of companies that wake up one morning to find all their customers have left. And ONLY THEN do they start wondering, "What went wrong?" No doubt the CEO is drawing down a million bucks a year and probably couldn't turn on a Treo if his life depended on it. Sounds like lots of others can't either. Sad!

See THIS THREAD.

PalmOne slaughtered the memory of the TREO 650 but said that only a few PowerUsers were gonna be affected. I think as it turns out, ONLY PowerUsers can even use the thing at all. They don't seem to really care too much how PalmOne goofed; they have ShadowMite to fix everything.

I'm still on the fence as to whether to wait for the GSM TREO 650 or go to a PPC.
    my gosh.. didn't realise it to be such a big (scary) hassle of just upgrading!!

i'm using a TungstenT and now have just ordered in the GSM_TREO650.

i'm really kinda sh**ing my pants now wondering how i'm going to get all my data across!!

- if i were to rename the back up folder, then install software piece by piece. that should work right ?
    - then what about all the data inside ? (eg. i'm using adarian money, what gives.. ? can i just install the .pdb files back into the treo, and all my old stuff will be back?)

sheesh.... would really appreciate any advice, as i have not upgraded before, this is my 2nd palm unit..

thanks.
    For some reason PalmOne changed the thread URL (see below). It took me an hour to find it, but as of 02-20-05 this is the current link:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(14403),ts=Palm_External2001

If you are using a Mac like me - the instructions take you to the user's folder:

(HomeName>Documents>Palm>User>YOURPALMDEVICEUSERID>Backups.

Just change "Backups" to "BackupsOLD". After I did the hard reset on the new 650 and started fresh with the Back-up folder renamed; it worked fine.
    pwat:

Maybe not the easiest way to do it, but I used the BackUpMan program from BitsnBolts.com. I backed up my Treo 600 info onto the SD Ram chip, then moved the chip to the 650 and Restored the data. Somethings didn't 'restore', but the addresses and most other things did.
    Us in the UK are behind all you lot. I will be upgrading froma Tungsten 1 to the Treo 650 and have tried to click on the links in the thread above but keep getting knowledge server error. Can anyone help?
    Maybe because you posted to a thread that's four months old?
    Here are the official Palm Upgrade instructions

You might find this thread useful, too:

BTW, I found these by doing a search here on TC using: Upgrade 600 650 :as my search terms.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  20. jgk
    Quote Originally Posted by becs
    Us in the UK are behind all you lot. I will be upgrading froma Tungsten 1 to the Treo 650 and have tried to click on the links in the thread above but keep getting knowledge server error. Can anyone help?
    I'm in the Uk and mine worked perfectly, but I didn't upgrade after warnings on here. What I did was :

- from old Palm Desktop exported my calendar and all other files I could.
    - deleted all Palm stuff from the PC
    - installed the new stuff as a new user and synced ok.
    - "beamed" notes and contacts from my old device onto the new one (using "all categories") and then imported my old calendar back into the new Palm desktop

This seems to work perfectly - I have everything, as a new user and no (apparent) problems.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12