Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    (have also posted this on T650 forum)

In preparation to when I eventually get my T650 (or anything after it)-- whenever that is--is it possible to install a version of Versamail on the Treo 600? I'm sick of using Yahoo Mobile e-mail and am looking for something more robust! If that doesn't work, are there any third-party solutions alternatives that are close to beeing free that would work on the T600?

I do have the T650 CD-ROM (a friend loaned it to me), which I think has Versamail on it, but am not sure.

Cheers,
    Kevin
  2.    #2  
    Has anybody used Versamil 2.7 on their T600 (only version that works)? That said, is there a better alternative for the $29.99 price...or how about any free e-mail programs? See link below for the 2.7 version:
    http://software.palmone.com/Platform...Id=0&catalog=1

Best,
    Kevin
    Look in the developers forum for Chatter Mail. www.imchatter.com. It is in agressive development but it is only $25 for life. If you need POP3 it is not for you, but if you have an IMAP server it is the best out there. Supports tons of folders and up to 8 of them can be equipped for PUSH email. I have used this and versamail (2.5) on my treo and this is by far the most superior imap client.
    I tried to purchase it today on the PalmOne website... It accepted my credit card info and payment no problem....but, when I hit the "Download Now" button, I got a message saying that the file doesn't exist. I logged a support email to Palm/Handango for this.

I'll post an update later about the functionality when/if I get a copy of the gizmo.
    I'm looking for a Treo 600 email client with powerful filtering capabilities such as are found in Eudora. E.g., it should automatically sift all the messages from the mailing lists to which I subscribe into their respective folders. Can Versamail do this? It doesn't look as though Chatter Mail can, although at least the latter provides a complete online manual.
    jae63,

I am doing server based rules on my exchange server. I know that versamail does filtering but I do not know about chatter. you should post an inquiry on the chatter forum. the developer monitors it daily and he is very courteous.

sam
    Does this version of VersaMail include the Active Sync fucitonality for Exchange?
    If anyone buys VersaMail 2.7 for their treo 600 and has a gmail account -- will it send GMail messages properly? (using smtp.gmail.com)

The old built-in handspring POP email client seems like it SHOULD work (there's a checkbox for using SSL for SMTP), but it doesn't.

SnapperMail, by contrast, works fine for sending via GMail, but I do NOT want to pay $60 for it. The $30 for VersaMail might be a nice compromise.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if Versamail 2.7 for the T600 will allow background operation? SnapperMail doesn't, which is annoying. Whenever it's transfering mail, it totally takes over the Treo. I'm using Chatter right now, and push IMAP is great, but I like the idea of one app for my POP3 and IMAP mail. Thanks.
    I really wish there was a VersaMail demo for the 600. I'm VERY particular about my email client, and while VersaMail looks good - I'm not going to spend $30 to find out how good.

I'm using the built in Mail client and there seems to be a problem about deleting messages with attachments not actually deleting (unless you delete your account). I don't like SnapperMail or any other solution. I really like the built in Mail, I just wish it would really delete the old messages off the phone.
  11.    #11  
    Uncanny! Someone must have been reading my mind! In the front page of the TC news section...
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/495-1.htm

And from Palm Infocenter:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7351

The app itself:
    http://www.palmone.com/us/software/versamail27/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm gonna wait 'till it goes on sale from some of the third-party sites.

Heck, maybe palmOne will be kind enough to inclide it on its next T600 updater, if they ever do another updater. On one level, it would make sense from a continuity standpoint, as P1 is offering it free (v 3.0) on the T650. Especially considering that the newsest version of Palm Desktop (v. 4.1.4) has a place for Versamail. Why should we early adopters have to pay more for basic smartphone features?!

If the above request goes unfilled, I would like to have a demo of the software before I shell out another $30. (Like the other posters on this thread have suggested.)
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Why should we early adopters have to pay more for basic smartphone features?!
    Simple: because that's how companies in technology, espcially IT, make money in this market. I sell IT infrastructure, and I can tell you that there is no such thing as sustainable margin when it comes to technology. The only way a company can get more margin for a product is to attract US, early adopters, to their products and WOW them with the latest and greatest. Once the product becomes more mainstream, companies must begin lowering their margins to attract everyday buyers who wouldn't be interested in paying full price for something that's not as interesting to them as to US. As unfortunate as this is, I must say that it's the only way it can be. PalmOne, and every other IT manufacturer, is in business to make money, and at as high a margin as possible.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam
    Does anyone know if Versamail 2.7 for the T600 will allow background operation? SnapperMail doesn't, which is annoying. Whenever it's transfering mail, it totally takes over the Treo. I'm using Chatter right now, and push IMAP is great, but I like the idea of one app for my POP3 and IMAP mail. Thanks.
    JoeSam -

You can very easily forward your POP3 email to an IMAP provider called fastmail. They will give you a free account that will work, but for $20/year you get 600mb storage and 3gb monthly bandwith. See the attached thread for further instructions. I use this set up for my personal POP3 account with Chatter, and I have real time pushes as follows: POP3 acct--->Fastmail--->Chatter. The great news is that they occur with in seconds :-)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=61575
    Update -

I called Handango/PalmOne customer support, and she said that they are fixing the broken link (the file wasn't there). She said that they're going to send me an email with the software in the interim (but it might take up to an hour to track down the file).

I'll post another update when I (or again, if I ) ever get the software.
    Just found out from Handango Customer Service that there was an error in the install pack file, so it was taken down. According to them, it will be back up by the end of the day today, or Monday morning.

I'll try it again on Monday.
    i paid, and could not download, i am waiting
    This just sucks............... download shld be immediate......
    Any word on when the file will be up yet?
    I have heard nothing from them - was thinking about calling over the lunch hour today. If I learn anything new I will post the information.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    The customer rep. I talked with a bit ago said they hope to have it available by the end of today. He did not sound confident, so I am not holding my breath. That's all I know.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast