1.    #1  
    Received my T650 from PalmOne on 11/24.

Charged it until charging indicator went green.

Installed a couple of things from the CD -- Tetris, RealPlayer on my laptop. End of the day everything works great. No problems -- nothing even slow... but I come from a Treo 300 so perhaps relative speed isn't something I should comment on.

11/25 -- unplug my Treo from charger, turn it on, and can't unlock Keyguard. The unit isn't responding to depressing the center button. Tried it a couple of times, same problem. Waited a few minutes, tried again, and it worked for the rest of the day. Hmm, strange -- oh well.

11/26 -- same routine from previous day but this time the behavior doesn't clear up for hours. I try soft/hard resets. Still won't unlock from Keyguard. Though interesting to note that during hard reset, it does seem to respond to my up arrow depress. So it's just the center button on the thumb board? I call PalmOne tech support -- they give up quickly and issue a SR# which I give to a PalmOne Store rep. They're gonna ship me a new unit and return slip for free return of my defective unit(thanks!).

No kidding, shortly after that conversation the behavior ends. I can unlock Keyguard again. Strange!? Typing a few test memos reveals additional strangeness around the keyboard though as shift is being randomly engaged and my tExT lOOks LIke ThIS. Making sure my thumb is nowhere near the shift key, it continues to exhibit this behavior for a bit. But a bit later, this clears up too and ALL returns to normal. Keyguard unlocks and typing is fine.

11/27 -- Able to unlock Keyguard upon first try today. So far, keyboard operation appears just fine.

Forgive me for the long setup and any info you don't find relevant. Just wanted to try and give a full picture. I've got a couple of questions from this experience -- what caused it? and as a side note, does anyone else's right-hand shift(RHS) key button not depress? My RHS seems to "work" but the key just doesn't depress and give the same mechanical feedback as the other keys. I do see some indication that the latter (RHS) may be the source of the problem for the former (unable to disengage Keyguard).

I've got another unit coming from PalmOne and will be able to answer the second question myself. I leave this thread only for anyone else that may have the same/similar problem one day. If my keyboard isn't defective, then I've got stranger theories. One of them being temperature -- it got pretty cold in my place the previous two nights. Not cold enough to see my own breath, but my 650 does sit on a metal table that feels very cold after such evenings. Perhaps... oh nevermind!
    --
    jt
    I've probably made a half dozen posts on this topic in the last week.

The first Treo I got had the same problem: I couldn't get the keyguard deactivated. The Treo's response to my key presses was inconsistent at best. I thought it was the Treo in general, but it was the keyboard in particular. The screen responded fine to the stylus.

So I concluded that the membrane underneath the keyboard and buttons was either loose or misaligned. Sprint sent me a replacement unit, and I've had no complaints since.
    I was able to temporarily duplicate this behavior today by squeezing my 650 into a Verizon case made for the 600. The Verizon case has a small sleeve that you slide the bottom of the unit into and the keyboard is covered by plastic. When I pressed the center button it did not respond to deactivate keyguard. I took the 650 out of the case, tried again and it worked fine. I put it back in the case and it again would not respond to the center button press. I then discovered that the plastic was putting too much pressure/squeezing down on the keys. I think that since the keys were being depressed by the case, it somehow was reading those keystrokes and not allowing the center button to respond. One of your keys may be misaligned and depressed creating a similar effect.
    This should be watched closely - though the "memory issue" is interesting and certainly has the attention of everyone, actual hardware problems such as this and the sound issues are what will drive actual returns, IMHO.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JES7
    I was able to temporarily duplicate this behavior today by squeezing my 650 into a Verizon case made for the 600. The Verizon case has a small sleeve that you slide the bottom of the unit into and the keyboard is covered by plastic. When I pressed the center button it did not respond to deactivate keyguard. I took the 650 out of the case, tried again and it worked fine. I put it back in the case and it again would not respond to the center button press. I then discovered that the plastic was putting too much pressure/squeezing down on the keys. I think that since the keys were being depressed by the case, it somehow was reading those keystrokes and not allowing the center button to respond. One of your keys may be misaligned and depressed creating a similar effect.
    JES,

That's exactly what I think was happening in my case too. That RHS button has been randomly engaging and blocking the center button event under Keyguard. I'll be sure to check every key carefully on my replacement unit...
    --
    jt
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I just called sprintpcs and they said they will send me a "return kit"...after being passed around sprintpcs and locklines...and local store...but anyways...i did an experiment hitting "green" and rapidly hit "red" to turn on ...or hold both...might be able to solve it temporarily ? the buttons are working for me now...sometimes it still goes wacko ..and i just repeat the steps....
    Quote Originally Posted by senor_jt
    Forgive me for the long setup and any info you don't find relevant. Just wanted to try and give a full picture. I've got a couple of questions from this experience -- what caused it? and as a side note, does anyone else's right-hand shift(RHS) key button not depress? My RHS seems to "work" but the key just doesn't depress and give the same mechanical feedback as the other keys. I do see some indication that the latter (RHS) may be the source of the problem for the former (unable to disengage Keyguard).
    My shift key also does not depress, is this how everybody's shift key is?