Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV
    1MB = 2048 friends @ 512 bytes each

(not that the memory isn't a problem, but don't exaggerate)
    Think about it the other way. While contacts, even at 512 bytes per, may not take a lot of memory, videos do.
    Quote Originally Posted by StngStr
    The new Treo 650 has the same 32 megabytes of internal memory as its predecessor, the Treo 600. And about the same portion of that memory, roughly 23 megabytes, is available to users
    Roughly?
    I have ONE FULL MEGABYTE more than that "roughly 23MB" Treo. Not to mention I can delete any of the included apps, freeing up additional space.

The NEW & IMPROVED Treo 650 has roughly 1.5MBs less than the old Treo.

I can continue revealing & ripping on their lame-*** spin-doctoring tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Think about it the other way. While contacts, even at 512 bytes per, may not take a lot of memory, videos do.
    But videos aren't affected by the memory problem, only the general issue of having 23MB available, which was the case for the 600 too. Since it's one big chunk of data, there will be no more than 511 bytes wasted for the entire file, no matter how big it is.

The way he phrased it implied it was the memory waste that was preventing both videos and large contact DBs being on the same phone. I'm providing a realistic metric of what the waste really is.
    What I'm saying (or asking) is why would they include a feature (ie.video camera) that takes up so much memory but then include so little.

I don't know if you have a Treo 600 but I do and it had 23.9MBs free. Then I actually deleted some unused stuff and freed up even more.
  5.    #65  
    Can't the video clips be stored on a SD card? I know that is how I store video clips on my T600. If so, the video clips should not have any thing to do with this memory problem, right?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I wonder if the concern regarding video clips is not their storage after the fact (RAM vs SD card), but their storage during the capture? In other words, you may only be able to "record" to RAM. If you have little to no free RAM, your clips are going to be small.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbear
    I wonder if the concern regarding video clips is not their storage after the fact (RAM vs SD card), but their storage during the capture? In other words, you may only be able to "record" to RAM. If you have little to no free RAM, your clips are going to be small.
    With the T600, you capture directly to the SD. Should be the same with the T650.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Hello, after reading Palms technical explanation of how data is allocated into this memory, it doesn't sound like a bug to me. In fact, I'm starting to believe that its up to the 3rd party software developers to conform to the new memory mapping.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Quote Originally Posted by StngStr
    FYI...Internal Sprint Email I received today.

"Hey everyone. Some more information on the Treo 650 memory change. Please read through this. It's a very good comment on the thing that people see as the Treo memory "issue", when in reality it's just a change and people aren't fond of change. I think this does a great job of putting the change in perspective and addresses what is being done.

Q: I know you recommended the new Treo 650 smart phone. But I am reading on the Internet that it has much less memory than the older Treo 600. Is this true?

A: Yes and no. The new Treo 650 has the same 32 megabytes of internal memory as its predecessor, the Treo 600. And about the same portion of that memory, roughly 23 megabytes, is available to users to store programs and data, like contacts, calendar entries and e-mail. However, its manufacturer, palmOne, changed the way the new Treo manages that memory. And the result, for some users, is that the same set of programs and data that fit into memory on the older model no longer fit on the 650.

PalmOne made the memory change for a very good reason: to implement a welcome new feature that protects your data when the battery dies. But the unintended consequence was that very small data entries, like a name and phone number, now occupy more memory than they did in the past. As a result, address books, calendars and other things take up more room. This downside, which wasn't disclosed by the company when it introduced the 650, has touched off a wave of criticism from Treo power users, who discovered the problem only when they bought the new model and tried to copy over their programs and files.

The company believes most users won't be severely affected, and there may be some truth to that. On my new Treo 650, which I bought last week, I have been able to store about 1,200 contacts, a couple of months worth of calendar entries, and 200 or so e-mails at a time, and still have a few megabytes of free memory, even though I also have several add-on programs installed. This is partly because I keep large files, like photos, video clips and songs, on an optional memory expansion card -- a so-called SD card, like the ones in many digital cameras -- so they don't take up room in the device's internal memory.

However, users with data-hungry programs like travel, language and diet databases, popular on the Treo, may not be so lucky. Not all of these programs and their files can be stored on, or run from, memory cards. I believe palmOne should have informed users about the new memory scheme, and should have doubled the standard memory on the Treo 650 to compensate, especially since memory is cheap. The company should also have made it much easier to store common data on memory cards.

PalmOne has issued a statement promising to develop a patch for the Treo 650 that will compact data automatically so more of it can fit in memory, even under the new system. But that could take months, and might not restore all of the lost storage capacity. Meanwhile, the company is offering a free 128-megabyte memory card to users who request one. Details on how to get this free card will be posted on the company's Web site next month, palmOne says.
    I still believe the Treo 650 is a welcome improvement over the already very good Treo 600, and that it is the best combination phone, organizer and e-mail device on the market. But, if I had known about this memory issue when I reviewed the 650 in October, I'd have warned power users to hold off on upgrading until the company had a fix."
    This sounds a lot like Walter Mossberg's column about the TREO 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    With the T600, you capture directly to the SD. Should be the same with the T650.
    With what app on the T600?
  11.    #71  
    Let me clear that up, you can save directly to an SD card.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234