Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    For an average POP user who checks mail frequently but seeks elegance over "pro" features:

Versamail's not bad actually. I am just upset that I can't hold down the mail button to immediately and manually check for new mail. That's how it worked on the Treo 600's mail app. I can get by with Versamail actually and like the integration with the addressbook (autocomplete works great.) It's basic and easy and exactly what I need without overkill. Also has filtering options. It seems fast and has been working reliably.

SnapperMail has some nice features too, but for the price I'm not sure that I'd personally get a lot of bang for the buck. I don't like the "look up" for email addresses; it's not as good as Versamail's autocomplete. But it does have the "one-button push" to get new mail. But it is also lacking some features I'd expect to see in a "top tier" app like such as this.

I have yet to experiment with IMAP -- my first test a few months back on SnapperMail was disappointingly slow. I know the newer version is faster, so perhaps I'll keep comparing with that in mind.
    does VersaMail allow storing to the SD card?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    does VersaMail allow storing to the SD card?
    No, I don't believe it does. If you need that functionality, I'd say Snappermail is the better choice.

Personally I use the Treo to check "current" mail only -- infrequently reply/forward messages from there as well -- but do all of my filing and more "intense" emailing from my laptop. So I'm always just purging the Treo's mail database to keep it lean and mean. In fact, I'd like to see a quicker way to clear out all mail (via deleting the db or purging all mail from within the app itself.) As it stands now it's a few button presses and I'd have loved to see an automatic "clean up" schedule.

If Snappermail had a few more customizable features like that I'd have no hesitation in shelling out the dough. But for now, it seems like a lot to pay for the few advantages it has (for me!) over Versamail. I know some folks love and swear by Snappermail, so these comments may reflect my own mindset only.

But damn, this lack of a one-button-press-to-check-mail in Versamail is really annoying. (especially since it worked fine in the Treo 600's email application. Just hold down the email button for 1-2 seconds and it checked mail.) If I enable autosync to compensate (once every 15 minutes? every 5 minutes?) then that would kill battery life.
    aye aye aye, P1...as much as we want to love you...she is killing us

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    aye aye aye, P1...as much as we want to love you...she is killing us
    Indeed, PalmOne giveth and PalmOne taketh away.

Yeah, I've got quibbles but overall I give the Treo 650 a thumbs up. Not quite worth $600, but I'll still keep it.
    good to know, I'm ready for the GSM version