1.    #1  
    interesting rumour:

http://www.gigaom.com/2004/11/persistent_palm_.php

...After first losing Sony as a major licensee, now PalmSource could be facing the departure of its single-biggest licensee, PalmOne.

Nothing is certain yet, but the rumors of PalmOnes decision to make a Treo running Windows Mobile wont die. The latest rumors have Dell pressing PalmOne to make a Treo with a Microsoft engine so that Dell can turn around and sell it to their enterprise users. With wireless PDAs like Dells Axim largely a stagnant-or disappearing-market, Dell would like nothing more than to offer its customers the best smartphone on the market, without having to hassle with the FCC or waste time developing one on their own. It makes sense for PalmOne as well, a company that needs to start actively courting the enterprise market-or risk losing even more ground to RIM. Dell would be a great partner for PalmOne to use to get into the enterprise space...
    Last edited by BARYE; 11/27/2004 at 11:59 AM.
    P1 should probably give this serious consideration if Dell is indeed interested in liscensing the 650 form factor from P1 for a Dell PocketPC phone. Dell has deep pockets, and well established channels in the enterprise market, a market P1 clearly wants to go. (Wasn't that the reason P1 liscenced the RIM connect for the 650 which is due in few months.)

If nothing else, Dell's interest in the 650 form factor is proof that Handspring hit a homerun when they came up with the 600 in terms of design, and if P1 doesn't make a deal with Dell it won't be long before somone else just plain steals the design for their PocketPC phone. (That Benq device for example. Can't remember the model, and talk of it seems to have dissappeared recently.)

On the other hand I'm using an iPaq right now and I've had Palm devices in the past and I hope that PocketPC is NOT my only choice of portable OS in the future. Personlly hope that PalmSource and Symbian both continue to innovate and stay healthy and compete in this smartphone market.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    This article was on Brighthand yesterday;
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru..._Treo_for_Dell

I think this is potentially true! Of course no one can say for sure, (and this thread is speculative so no flaming please!)

Dell do sometimes buy & re-badge a competitor product to get their place in a new market niche, eg, they re-badged a Sharp laptop as their first "Dell Lattitude" (it was pretty crap, the 2nd release that was an authentic Dell was much improved).

And if you see any of the Gartner predictions, Smartphone is a space that is absolutely taking off!! I'm sure this has not escaped Dell, and they want their piece of pie!

There is already discussion elsewhere on TreoCentral that it would not be that too difficult for Palmone to do a PocketPC version, since it already has the same processor etc.
    And since PalmOne and PalmSource are separated, they are already set up for it politically.

True, there are already some very neat PocketPC Smartphones out there now, such as the HP6315, the PDA2K (aka XDA3, MDA3, Audiovox 6601 etc) -but none of them match the formfactor of the Treo650!!

After seeing the keen anticipation and subsequent disappointment in many quarters, it could be argued that PalmOne need the cash from Dell if they are going to keep at the front of the market - their lead has already been substantially eroded and although the Treo650 is pretty good, the discussions here point out that there is an element of 'too little, too late' in it too.. my guess is that PalmOne can't compete long term with the big guns funding a massive development cycle.

PalmOne have also licenced the Blackberry push email technology from RIM, so this would also be the ultimate BB device!

So it looks fantastic potentially, and would become my IDEAL device, but I expect it would be a year away, and the first version would be very buggy too!

So I'm still going to buy a T650 in the meantime!

Cheers,
    James.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Great touch!!! BSOD on 650 Win Treo...lol
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    that is hilarious, blue screen of death instead of white screen of death. Think of the Dell money, that would be a boost, and memory would never be a problem. (And I could get a better discount on it.) Lets think of some names: Hmmm,
    Dell Workstation 670
    Laugh all you want, but PPC on the Treo is the only way P1 will survive.

It's going to happen, or Dell may go with a competitor who makes a Treo lookalike.

This deal will be announced Q2 of next year, with devices by end og next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    If nothing else, Dell's interest in the 650 form factor is proof that Handspring hit a homerun when they came up with the 600 in terms of design, and if P1 doesn't make a deal with Dell it won't be long before somone else just plain steals the design for their PocketPC phone. (That Benq device for example. Can't remember the model, and talk of it seems to have dissappeared recently.)

It's called the Benq P50 fyi. IMO, if Dell wanted a Treo clone, then it should persue the P50 as it already exists. Benq is an ODM with no brand name and Dell is a big brand that's looking for a Treo clone...perfect match if they want each other imo...

Anyway, this whole Dell rumor is bunch of nonsense anyway imo...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Laugh all you want, but PPC on the Treo is the only way P1 will survive.

It's going to happen, or Dell may go with a competitor who makes a Treo lookalike.

This deal will be announced Q2 of next year, with devices by end og next year.
    Only way P1 will survive?!

Umm... if you haven't noticed, the Treo is a huge seller for PalmOne regardless of all the negativity found amongst the uber users on this forum... Don't worry, PalmOne won't have any problems surviving....