1. zdl
    I used to post back on the 600 thread when I had one. I ended up going through 3 of them before selling it on ebay and giving up on treo. I went back to the T3 with a motorola v600. I now have a blackberry. I really enjoy the sms but miss the camera phone features.

I was really excited about the 650 because it sounded like a small T3 with phone. Perfect on paper. However after returning to this board and reading about everyone's experience, I don't think I will change. I'm not too concerned with the price but for it I expect perfection. Short of the Sony P910 it is the most expensive phone I've considered.

I will expect flawless sound on both ends.
    ideal web browsing
    perfect sms
    all 1000 contacts and a few apps like docs to go, a game or two.
    ability to use it as a bluetooth modem with my powerbook

I would expect there to be some program incompatibilites in 3rd party apps during the rollout as that seems to alway happen with palm. As long as they are fixed.

I will not be able to live with anything short of the best phone quality and reception as I seem to always be at two bars.

Can anyone weigh in on whether it is worth the price of a small laptop or have a comparison with the sony p910 series? Should I just suck it up and get the sony?
    Quote Originally Posted by zdl
    I used to post back on the 600 thread when I had one. I ended up going through 3 of them before selling it on ebay and giving up on treo. I went back to the T3 with a motorola v600. I now have a blackberry. I really enjoy the sms but miss the camera phone features.

I was really excited about the 650 because it sounded like a small T3 with phone. Perfect on paper. However after returning to this board and reading about everyone's experience, I don't think I will change. I'm not too concerned with the price but for it I expect perfection. Short of the Sony P910 it is the most expensive phone I've considered.

ideal web browsing
    perfect sms

I would expect there to be some program incompatibilites in 3rd party apps during the rollout as that seems to alway happen with palm. As long as they are fixed.

I will not be able to live with anything short of the best phone quality and reception as I seem to always be at two bars.

Can anyone weigh in on whether it is worth the price of a small laptop or have a comparison with the sony p910 series? Should I just suck it up and get the sony?

Go with the ppc660x
    It is just like windows xp. And no memory conflict. It is way faster than the 650 and the screen is a lot bigger.
  3. zdl
    I am a little scared of ppc. I used to have a ipaq and it would occasionally do odd things like duplicate all of my contacts or delete them. Sometimes it would duplicate files or suddenly have some active sync problem. Every day I cradled it, it would do something odd and I got tired of messing with it.

Being an apple type, I just want something that works and I don't have to worry about. I'm not much of a tinkerer. Maybe they have gotten better but I was burned once and would prefer to stay away.
    I think it was worth the money. But if you want to be a little more bug free, perhaps you should wait till hardware revision B and at least one software upgrade. I think for the most part people are satisfied, but satisfied people generally dont post on a forum.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    If you want something that "just works"...the ppc6601 is probably your best bet. palm OS has fallen behind. I'm sticking with the 650 because of the form factor....but, I'm well prepared for tinkering, updates, etc. Overall, I'd recommend you try the 650 and LEARN to tinker...just stick around TreoCentral, and tons of people will be MORE than willing to help you. Peace out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Go with the ppc660x
    It is just like windows xp. And no memory conflict. It is way faster than the 650 and the screen is a lot bigger.
    As I mentioned in another thread, don't forget that the ppc6601 is larger and heavier than the Treo 650. According to my calculations based on publised specs, the PPC6601 is:

- 127 mm longer (+11%)
    - 114 mm wider (+20%)
    - 41 mm thinner (-22%)
    - 30 g heavier (+17%)

than the 650. It would definitely bring you just a bit closer to the laptop experience
    Quote Originally Posted by zdl
    ideal web browsing
    perfect sms
    I think the Treo 650 is (or can be, with the tinkering that you don't like) all of these today.

I have flawless sound on both ends, no issues there.

The web browsing experience is incredible compared to a Treo 600. I haven't tried many other wireless web solutions, but the screen can fit more and the way it downloads text and links first really makes everything usable right away. In 10 seconds you get the gyst of most pages and can start navigating to the exact page you need. It's simply night and day compared with the Treo 600.

I thought the SMS on the Treo 600 was great -- especially the chat threading. I haven't looked much at the SMS on the Treo 650 yet. I haven't really had a need to as I don't SMS that often. However, if it's like the Treo 600 it will be considered the best of it's kind.

The 1000 contacts and such may be stretching the memory, but it doesn't sound like you need a lot of applications. Coming from a Blackberry that would make sense. I would think that it's possible to fit all you need in the memory available without too much if any tinkering to move the apps to the card. However, I don't have nearly that many contacts and I can't say I've tested it.

Using it as a bluetooth modem has been done with the hack provided in a sticky thread around here. This is the only part requiring a little tinkering.

I don't see how you are going to get ideal web browsing or perfect SMS on a phone without a built-in keyboard. Wouldn't that eliminate any of the Sony phones? I'm not entirely super knowledgeable about the compeition.
    If I could just find the right holster for my laptop, I'd carry that instead

Seriously though, I have both a laptop and a 650, and you really can't substitute one for the other, but the 650 keeps me organized better than any other thing I've tried, and I don't have to carry my heavy laptop and or PDA, plus a phone. I would carry a phone anyways so this works for me.

I guess what I'm saying is that the 650 is an invaluable tool for me, however your needs may differ.. I can't live without it! If you're on a budget, stick with the 600 and a laptop...
  9. zdl
    well the newest sony has what looks to be a poor mans keyboard. I'm not really sold on it. I really liked the 600 except for the screen and that it kept breaking. It didn't have a problem with my programs or contacts but then again, you couldn't put the cool apps on it because the screen was so bad. The 650 seems like a good upgrade but the memory issue worries me. I don't want to work around a design flaw by moving apps to a memory card. I don't think I should have to. I also don't want to face the ridicule of the geek squad at work for buying a fancy phone with only 20mb of user memory. I think it has a bit of a negative stigma based on all the bad press in the main stream media.
    I agree you shouldn't have to work with workarounds for the memory, but it doesn't sound like you have enough apps to cause a major issue. I know that the problem is largely with the huge number of contacts you have, but it's worth getting or perhaps starting a thread on this board to challenge people to report back how many contacts they have and how much memory they have with no other applications. Perhaps a few people will respond to it and you'll realize that you can fit them in.

I personally have like 80 contacts, so I'm not going to be helpful. I do have a 1MB Java installed along with Docs to Go, some games (Bejeweled, for instance), and some utilities (TuSSH and Filez) and have 13.6MBs left of free space. I have nothing on the card yet. I don't think 920 more contacts will take up 13.6MBs of space.

Any geek squad at work will realize that the Treo 650 has the best screen (pixels per inch) of any phone. It also has the best keyboard of anything with a phone form factor. It also has an open OS with the most applications. These are points than any geek will appreciate (I know I am in that squad at work - hence the TuSSH).

I haven't heard much in the main steam media mention anything about the memory issue. USAToday had a glowing article. I think the CNET review was pretty good, though they haven't had a full review yet. I think it comes down to giving it a shot for 14 days to see if the memory issue is a problem for you.
    I have 860 contacts and 12.3MB free space, just FYI.

Other than what came with, I have installed Adobe Reader, Missing Sync so far.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I have had my 650 for a week and I think the biggest advantage the 650 has over its ppc counterparts is the form factor. Like another poster stated earlier, the screen is incredible, with Documents 2 Go you can realistically update your work on excel spreadsheets as well as word and powerpoint docs. The screen resolution also improves the web-browsing experience.

In short, you should consider what you want to use it for. I came from using a Palm V and cell phone, and I love the integration of devices and the option to surf the web from anywhere without having to bring my laptop with me. The 650 is obviously not meant for long periods of surfing, but the browser works great and is orders of magnitude better than the 600 due to its better software and screen.

I haven't tried using bluetooth or as as dial-up modem, but as a convergence device of phone and PDA the 650 is best in class. The stability of the Palm platform over Miscrosoft's PocketPC is a big reason for this.