Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Mine is slow slow slow!!! Hit the power button and you notice a definite delay before it even turns on. Just got it yesterday and it is noticeably slower than the 600. I think I might hold out for the next model. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Also, is anyone else experiencing this problem as well? I tested it again and noticed that sometimes when I hit the power button you need to give the treo another 2 secs before trying to power back on.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jazzkids; 11/27/2004 at 11:09 AM. Reason: add to post
    I notice short delays like that too. It's the result of having non-volatile memory. There are always tradeoffs. It's still much more responsive than some other modern cell phones (e.g., the Motorola V600 I recently tried).

Bottom line, if those delays (usually less than a second) are so important to you, return the phone.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/27/2004 at 11:59 AM.
  3.    #3  
    any chance this might be fixed in an upgrade?
    That can't be the only reason that you want to return the phone. Overall, this phone still has many more advantages than the 600
    I've had no trouble at all with the speed of the 650, after upgrading from the Sony TH-55. Did you try to port too many programs over? I've been very pleased.
  6.    #6  
    I guess I'll have to hold on to it for a few days and try. But, after spending $600, I AM looking for something that is fast and not having memory probs out of the box.

Thanks for your posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    any chance this might be fixed in an upgrade?
    Yes, be a smart consumer, and please return it. All bets are off on upgrades... there is no timeframe, nor any promise it will "fix" anything except the NVFS issue.
    Alee

Using your logic, there's no timeframe nor any promise that it won't "fix" everything either..
  9.    #9  
    OK, here is a great example of what is getting em down on this phone.

I just checked my email with VersaMail then went back to the phone and it took almost 10 full secs before I could see the phone screen. I got nothing but a blank white screen in between.

This happening to anyone else?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    Using your logic, there's no timeframe nor any promise that it won't "fix" everything either..
    Right, but you've got a lot riding on that bet... given the short period that you can return a product, you can really only be assured of the memory issue being addressed.

If it fixes everything else, that's a great bonus; however, no promises have been made in that direction. If I were in his position, I would return it, and maybe try the 650 again when patches are released.
    I guess I'll have to hold on to it for a few days and try. But, after spending $600, I AM looking for something that is fast and not having memory probs out of the box.

Thanks for your posts

Good choice! Upgrade to the ppc660x, I am sure you will be completly satisfied.
  12.    #12  
    Now, I just checked email with Versa, tried to shut off the unit with the power button and it would not let me. I had to push the button several times before it would actually go off.

Now I don't want people thinking that I am just whining. I spent big bucks on this and I think that it should work as fast or faster then the 600. IMHO it does not!

All thoughts are greatly appreciated!
    Jazzkids,

I have seen nothing like the 10 second delay or not turning off. All I was talking about was a fraction of a second delay in turning on which you described in your first post.

I would look for other reasons why this is the case. I would find a repeatable case and post a seperate thread with a title like "10 second delay in starting phone app anyone?" I would think you and other readers with the same issue could find out what's going on and if it's fixable.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Maybe hard reset the device and see if the delay is gone. Then add applications one by one?
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Now, I just checked email with Versa, tried to shut off the unit with the power button and it would not let me. I had to push the button several times before it would actually go off.

Now I don't want people thinking that I am just whining. I spent big bucks on this and I think that it should work as fast or faster then the 600. IMHO it does not!

All thoughts are greatly appreciated!
    I dont have the 650 yet but from what I am reading on other threads it could be a third party app that you have installed that is not playing well with your 650.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    That can't be the only reason that you want to return the phone. Overall, this phone still has many more advantages than the 600
    That is the key reason I may return my 650. I find it very annoying.
    I'd do some experimenting first and see if it is a program acing goofy. I have seen what you are talking about, but never for 10 seconds. Usually just a second or two, and it is not even repeatable. Sometimes it does it, usually it doesn't.

Actually I find it switches tasks faster than the 600 most of the time. Perhaps you should try a unit swap before you do a full return. The benefits of this model far outweigh the little quirks. I'd hate to see someone return it for something like this and go back to that pathetic old mess.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
  18.    #18  
    I have not installed any third party apps. I did do a hard reset so we'll see. Even after the hard reset I still find it "sluggish" out of the box. I was hoping to see a speed improvement, not a slow down.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks GADzilla, that's good advice. I'll call Palm on Monday. I also notice an indentation in the rubber 'o' covering to the right of the camera. I know that this covers a srew, so I think that this unit might have been reopened. I do love the TREO. Had the 600 once it came out, but I am concerned about resale if the 650 bombs and then they come out with a replacement. I am also concerned about holding on to the 1st gen. only to find out that the next gen. is better. And, at that point, they would probably not take mine back.

Anyway, I'll keep trying!
    I have not installed any third party apps. I did do a hard reset so we'll see. Even after the hard reset I still find it "sluggish" out of the box. I was hoping to see a speed improvement, not a slow down.
    Well if you have nothing else installed it definitely sounds like a bum unit. Try the swap first. Wishing you good luck!
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast