Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i get white screen for up to 4 seconds when i try to dial a phone number and my 5 way doesnt work at all in teh call log mode. overall i see that white screen a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Graffiti?! Are you guys talking about the same thing?

Jazzkids: can you post more details on the typing delay? What application does that occur in?
    Sorry - We T5 users call it "Graffiti Input Lag/Delay" but I guess considering Treo users it should be called "Character Input Lag/Delay". This is when there is a delay between inputing a character (via Graffiti or Keyboard) and actually having it show up on the screen. Very similiar to "latency".
  3.    #63  
    Hey Silver,

The typing delay is using VersaMail (CrapperMail as I am now calling it) but it doesn't always happen. It is noticeable at some times. The WHITE screen happens after checking email with CrapperMail (VersaMail) and then going to the phone.

Other nice white screens:

1. Select a contact and press center button to dial. This is also the six-banana wait as documented earlier
    2. Click on calendar event on phone window. Wait for 2-3 secs
    3. Click back to phone after a contact. Wait 1-2 secs

Aww hell, the white screen is all over the place. Maybe there are hidden messages behind that white screen?
    I watched your video and tried to recreate your problems. I never get that white screen for anywhere near that long. I will get it for 1 - 1.5 seconds at most going from Versamail to the phone, but even that is a stretch.

I would definitely swap that puppy out.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    An addendum:

Regarding the "issues" people are having with backup apps on the Treo 650, DateBk 5's author, CES Dewar previously posted on his site that:

"If you use ANY backup program, be aware that none of them were compatible with the proprietary databases on these devices and specifically cause the DmWrite Errors that you were seeing when attempting to restore the databases. Even if the errors do not occur, the clash between the proprietary and regular databases can result in lost data, etc. So be SURE to update to the very latest version of any such backup program (Backupman, BackupBuddy, etc.)."

Interesting, considering Palm STILL hasn't provided users with a built-in backup program with its latest OS update. After years of failing to advance the OS by claiming that they didn't want to make changes that would cause compatibility issues or disrupt the Zen of Palm, Palm now is showing they could not care less about maintaining backward compatibility or simplicity. The stench of Microsoft is upon Palm.

DateBk 5 is - in my opinion - the best Palm app available and CES Dewar is the best Palm OS coder I've ever come across. Many people have remained with the Palm platform only because of this application. The fact that CESD has become exasperated with dealing with working around buggy software from Palm is very concerning. This is someone that has been a cornerstone of the Palm community from the beginning and Palm seems to be doing its best to alienate him and scores of other developers with the company's sloppy code and arrogance.

It takes a lot to pi$$ off people like CESD that have been major Palm boosters for the past 7 or 8 years, but Palm is managing to do this quite well. Amazing.

-------------------------------------------------------------

CESD's quote re: the DataMangler patch

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5faq.htm

Tungsten T5 and Treo650

T5 has serious problems with the "DataManager patch" (see note below on T3). With the non-volatile memory on the T5 (and Tre650), the DataManager patch is now unacceptably slow. It is also buggy and will randomly crash underneath any earlier version of Datebk5 (and many other third party apps too), so using V-5.4 or later is important. This release talks directly to the proprietary Calendar and Memo databases, thereby bypassing the patch code and provides good performance and stability. It is, however, also essential that you go to PalmOne's website and download their latest set of fixes for bugs in the ROM and check back on a regular basis for other fixes for that device.

The VFSDBCache.c error is a bogus error that occurs due to a bug in the PalmOne DataManager patch. The P5 release now sidesteps almost all of these problems. One remaining bug in the DM Patch is that archived records in the ToDo database hang up the Tasks Conduit. As a temporary workaround, set the Tasks conduit to DO NOTHING, run dbScan and use the REMOVE ALL DELETED RECORDS option to remove all deleted records in the ToDO databse, then reset the conduit back to synchronize and sync again. I expect to post a p6 release to sidestep this bug in the DM Patch before the end of this November, 2004.

If you are upgrading from a prior device, do *NOT* under any conditions follow the upgrade procedure in PalmOne's documentation as it is completely *WRONG* (Treo650 is wrong- and I think the Tungsten T5 includes the same error) and will very likely result in a hung device that requires a hard reset to recover from. It is IMPERATIVE that you rename the Backup Folder before attempting to synchronize with an existing profile (why this information was omitted from PalmOne's directions is a mystery - clearly no one ever tried following their directions while they were doing any testing!!).
    Last edited by The Zen of Palm; 11/27/2004 at 05:31 PM.
    I'm willing to reload my 650 from scratch if there's any hope of speeding it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GADzilla
    I watched your video and tried to recreate your problems. I never get that white screen for anywhere near that long. I will get it for 1 - 1.5 seconds at most going from Versamail to the phone, but even that is a stretch.

I would definitely swap that puppy out.
    Video? Where is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    Hey Silver,

The typing delay is using VersaMail (CrapperMail as I am now calling it) but it doesn't always happen. It is noticeable at some times. The WHITE screen happens after checking email with CrapperMail (VersaMail) and then going to the phone.

Other nice white screens:

1. Select a contact and press center button to dial. This is also the six-banana wait as documented earlier
    2. Click on calendar event on phone window. Wait for 2-3 secs
    3. Click back to phone after a contact. Wait 1-2 secs

Aww hell, the white screen is all over the place. Maybe there are hidden messages behind that white screen?
    Can you list what apps you have installed? Do you have background fetching enabled in VersaMail? What frequency? How many accounts and what type?
    But why should we have to live with it? I'm mean, I don't want to overstate this, but it's 600 bucks! That is a lot of dough to "live with."

I got off the phone with tech support and they said (I repeated it twice to make sure I heard it right) that a 5-10 second delay is within "normal" operating parameters. Sometimes they would get a 15sec delay.

Honestly, you remember the TV's that needed to warm up? Would you pay $600 for a TV that took 5-22 seconds to "boot?" A $200 unit, fine. But $600, forget it.

Palm, this is totally UNACCEPATABLE. Now in this thread at least 3 people are talking about long lags. I wish Apple made this. They would get it right and make it look cooler too! Apple, please enter this market.
    I should have phrased that a little different.

I'm not going to be sending my unit back because of this. If they fix it in a rom upgrade, great.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    so it sounds like everyone needs to delete the backup folder and do a clean install of everything eh?
    Well I installed from scratch. Brand new computer that had never been synch'ed with any PDA and I still see the delay that been seen by others.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Video? Where is that?

Post #21 in this thread. It's on the top of Page 2 for me here.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Meridian, I have not installed ANYTHING on the unit. It is a "clean" phone with no 3rd party apps. I have 20.4 megs available. Contacts=336 records, Datebook=588 records. I took off the wallpaper and only showing the dial pad. It still takes several seconds. I think that Amazon route is the way to go. Do you have a URL?

Thanks!
    Yikes. I think there is something wrong with your unit.

As for an Amazon link, just go to www.Amazon.com and copy /paste " PCS Phone palmOne Treo 650 (Sprint) " into search all products and it'll come up. There's also a deal for the Jabra BT headset at essentially $49 after mail in rebates.

My buddy who ordered from Amazon says he is being quoted Dec 27 as a probable ship date though.

Best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by GADzilla
    Post #21 in this thread. It's on the top of Page 2 for me here.
    Thanks. Yes, that unit is clearly busted. Needs to be swapped out.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Oh gosh, then it would be pastel and cost $1600 !!!!
    ...and only sync with Firewire and iPalm Desktop...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    After years of failing to advance the OS by claiming that they didn't want to make changes that would cause compatibility issues or disrupt the Zen of Palm, Palm now is showing they could not care less about maintaining backward compatibility or simplicity. The stench of Microsoft is upon Palm.

It takes a lot to pi$$ off people like CESD that have been major Palm boosters for the past 7 or 8 years, but Palm is managing to do this quite well. Amazing.
    I believe Palm OS 6 ("Cobalt") could alleviate many of Palm's current problems. But it now appears that we won't be seeing Cobalt on a shipping smartphone any time soon, since it's still under development (no matter what PalmSource claims to the contrary). I get the feeling that Cobalt will be poorly supported by developers, which will in turn further limit its adoption when/if it's ever released.

Since we will be using Palm OS 5 smartphones for the next year or two, Palm needs to devote a LOT more thought to fine tuning the overall architecture. My suggestions for a quick fix:

1) Dump NAND Flash. Or if Palm wants to be lazy, switch to the 256 MB chips.

2) Take a look at using a backup battery to retain power so that no data is lost when changing batteries if NAND Flash is dumped. Also, look at using an automatic backup feature similar to the one used in the Sony CLIE UX50.

3) Licence a good backup app and include it in the ROM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234