Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75
  1. #41  
    >"Just wondering how much free RAM you have on your unit and if that is causing the slowdown."

    That's a very good question. My guess is it's just like the T5 - the more data, the more sluggish the device because of the copying/flushing of the cache/heap.

    jazz - How much data (MB) do you have have on the device?
  2.    #42  
    LOL Gekko, thanks! That got me smiling.

    Meridian, I have not installed ANYTHING on the unit. It is a "clean" phone with no 3rd party apps. I have 20.4 megs available. Contacts=336 records, Datebook=588 records. I took off the wallpaper and only showing the dial pad. It still takes several seconds. I think that Amazon route is the way to go. Do you have a URL?

    Thanks!
  3. #43  
    jazz - I had a TERRIBLE experience with a T5 so I can empathize.

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...fbfe690ec24122
  4.    #44  
    Wow! I guess P1 has it's problems with devices. I know that it's not easy to make these, but we are also not talking about a $100 device. If you get a toaster and it breaks, you don't get too mad, but if your fridge leaks that's not cool.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    wow. that's an amazing delay. i've occassionally seen delays of shorter duration on mine, but not with consistency.

    i don't know *at all* the genesis of palmOS with regard to the various changing processors over the years - but i recall someone mentioning that there's an 'emulation mode' that current palms go into when running older apps - i guess stuff written for the dragonball?

    i've noticed sometimes when exiting an app and going to a 'new' app, like the dialer, the T650 lets out multiple little 'clicks' rather than a single one as it normally does.

    i wonder if something gets confused in the os when switching from older apps to newer apps. then again, versamail isn't exactly an old app.

    odd, odd, odd.

    The "emulation mode" is called PACE and allows 68k apps to run on ARM processors. It shouldn't be causing the delay.

    The clicking you're hearing may be due to the "DataManager" (a.k.a. "DataMangler") patch on the Treo 650 that Palm uses to try and fix the hatchet job they did changing the PIM databases.

    http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5faq.htm
    then choose: Compatibility Issues - Hardware & Devices ->
    Tungsten T5 and Treo650
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    Wow! I guess P1 has it's problems with devices. I know that it's not easy to make these, but we are also not talking about a $100 device. If you get a toaster and it breaks, you don't get too mad, but if your fridge leaks that's not cool.
    True, but no house was ever burned down by a defective refridgerator I imagine
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    OK, here is a great example of what is getting em down on this phone.


    I just checked my email with VersaMail then went back to the phone and it took almost 10 full secs before I could see the phone screen. I got nothing but a blank white screen in between.

    This happening to anyone else?

    Yes. This happens to mine as well. It will only happen if I send and email or receive an email using versamail. It's been doing this since day 1. Im just gonna live with it.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by vetie
    Yes. This happens to mine as well. It will only happen if I send and email or receive an email using versamail. It's been doing this since day 1. Im just gonna live with it.
    Wow... I don't use Versamail, but if that's always the case, then it's definitely a bug that should be fixed. I use Chatter and SnapperMail and have no delay switching to the phone app after sending a message.
  9.    #49  
    But why should we have to live with it? I'm mean, I don't want to overstate this, but it's 600 bucks! That is a lot of dough to "live with."

    I got off the phone with tech support and they said (I repeated it twice to make sure I heard it right) that a 5-10 second delay is within "normal" operating parameters. Sometimes they would get a 15sec delay.

    Honestly, you remember the TV's that needed to warm up? Would you pay $600 for a TV that took 5-22 seconds to "boot?" A $200 unit, fine. But $600, forget it.

    Palm, this is totally UNACCEPATABLE. Now in this thread at least 3 people are talking about long lags. I wish Apple made this. They would get it right and make it look cooler too! Apple, please enter this market.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    The "emulation mode" is called PACE and allows 68k apps to run on ARM processors. It shouldn't be causing the delay.

    The clicking you're hearing may be due to the "DataManager" (a.k.a. "DataMangler") patch on the Treo 650 that Palm uses to try and fix the hatchet job they did changing the PIM databases.

    http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5faq.htm
    then choose: Compatibility Issues - Hardware & Devices ->
    Tungsten T5 and Treo650
    interesting, thanks.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  11. #51  
    On/Off and Switching Applications Delay Explanation?

    "This flushing of changes is also done during events like changing applications or hitting the power button. All this copying of data to and from NAND flash takes time. Even when no copying is done, there's a slight overhead involved in checking to see if the data is already in the cache."
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    ...Palm, this is totally UNACCEPATABLE. Now in this thread at least 3 people are talking about long lags. I wish Apple made this. They would get it right and make it look cooler too! Apple, please enter this market.
    Just can't wait for Apple to buy PalmOne, huh? Put me down for the first iPodTreo1000!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Just can't wait for Apple to buy PalmOne, huh? Put me down for the first iPodTreo1000!
    Oh gosh, then it would be pastel and cost $1600 !!!!
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Oh gosh, then it would be pastel and cost $1600 !!!!

    but it would work!!

    Just got off the phgone with P1. Just FYI, no replacements. They refund your money and you can buy it again if you wish.

    The order to proceed if anyone wants to return it:

    1. Call 800-881-7256
    2. Hit Option 1 - Tech support (SE Asia) (and keep hitting 1 for Sprint)
    3. Get a case# from Tech Support
    4. Call back (transfer) and hit #3 Customer Service
    5. Hit Option 2
    6. Wait on hold

    You will also need to fill out the RMA form at: http://www.onlineregister.com/palm/rma/cgi/index.cgi

    YOU HAVE 30 DAYS TO FILL OUT THIS FORM. I asked and the unit does not need to be in their hands in 30 days. You just need to initiate the return process. The 30 days starts when the unit ships, not when it was purchased.

    I think that I'll fiddle with it for a few more days then send it back and wait for the next generation unit. I might even buy a Zire just for now. Sigh!!!!
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    I got off the phone with tech support and they said (I repeated it twice to make sure I heard it right) that a 5-10 second delay is within "normal" operating parameters. Sometimes they would get a 15sec delay..
    Is this the only time you see delays? I got 3-5 second delays in places the 600 never would. It feels like I down-graded to a slower phone. Some folks don't mind, it really bugs the hell out of me.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5faq.htm
    then choose: Compatibility Issues - Hardware & Devices ->
    Tungsten T5 and Treo650
    A very telling quote from the above link:

    If you are upgrading from a prior device, do *NOT* under any conditions follow the upgrade procedure in PalmOne's documentation as it is completely *WRONG* (Treo650 is wrong- and I think the Tungsten T5 includes the same error) and will very likely result in a hung device that requires a hard reset to recover from. It is IMPERATIVE that you rename the Backup Folder before attempting to synchronize with an existing profile (why this information was omitted from PalmOne's directions is a mystery - clearly no one ever tried following their directions while they were doing any testing!!).
    This explains why so many people have had problems upgrading from prior handhelds! I did rename my backup directory and had no problems. I know that there is a knowledge database item on palmOne's site that says the same thing. This should be made sticky on this site to prevent countless problems by others.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    Is this the only time you see delays? I got 3-5 second delays in places the 600 never would. It feels like I down-graded to a slower phone. Some folks don't mind, it really bugs the hell out of me.

    No, I feel the same way and it bugs the hell out of me too. I know that people will read this and think "So what that there's a 5 sec delay?" But, I have to tell you, when you are on the road and need info fast or want to dial a number quick, it really gets annoying.

    I used to use the Franklin/Covey Planner (actually Franklin planner before they merged) and it was so fast! :-) I moved to a Palm and noticed how much longer it would take to enter appts and numbers. I got used to it, but now with another 4-5 secs it is very frustrating.

    I am also seeing the speed when typing! I try typing an email and the characters are beind what I am typing. I don't know yet what to do. I'll be watching these boards very close for the next two weeks while I make my decision.

    Good luck!
  18. #58  
    >"I am also seeing the speed when typing! I try typing an email and the characters are beind what I am typing."

    Ah - the dreaded "Graffiti Input Lag Delay". We current/former T5 users know this one all too well.
  19. #59  
    so it sounds like everyone needs to delete the backup folder and do a clean install of everything eh?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    >"I am also seeing the speed when typing! I try typing an email and the characters are beind what I am typing."

    Ah - the dreaded "Graffiti Input Lag Delay". We current/former T5 users know this one all too well.
    Graffiti?! Are you guys talking about the same thing?

    Jazzkids: can you post more details on the typing delay? What application does that occur in?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions