Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Well, it is now documented in video format. I uploaded a movie (6megs) to show what happens. You can find the movie here:

http://www.jazzkids.com/treo/problem.avi

Think the unit might be bum!

What I did prior to shooting this video:

1. Hard reset
    2. Sync and got back my settings. NO 3rd Party Apps installed
    3. Tried to send an email (no luck, but probably on my server's end)
    4. Switched to Phone
    5. Waited.....Waited some more....a bit more.....aaannnnnddddd........
    6. Got to phone app. :-)
    I wonder if it has anything to do with image processing (your photo when the screen comes back)
  3.    #23  
    Let's do a look see.

Well, after taking off the picture (wallpaper) and the calendar notification, it still takes about 3-5 secs to get back to the phone. It is more bearable, but geez for $600 and no rebate it is a hard pill to swallow.

Any other thoughts?

P1 says that it is sending out the specs to get the memory problem fixed. Would this constitute a memory problem or is this just what I have to live with?

tx
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    You might have a lemon. If you are using a "clean" phone out of the box and having long delays when no one else is, than you should return it if you like the phone and get a new one.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    Let's do a look see.

Well, after taking off the picture (wallpaper) and the calendar notification, it still takes about 3-5 secs to get back to the phone. It is more bearable, but geez for $600 and no rebate it is a hard pill to swallow.

Any other thoughts?

P1 says that it is sending out the specs to get the memory problem fixed. Would this constitute a memory problem or is this just what I have to live with?

tx
    I had a Palm T5 with the same NVFS and the GUI was sluggish. I believe it's a symptom of how the NVFS operates. I doubt there is a "fix".
    wow. that's an amazing delay. i've occassionally seen delays of shorter duration on mine, but not with consistency.

i don't know *at all* the genesis of palmOS with regard to the various changing processors over the years - but i recall someone mentioning that there's an 'emulation mode' that current palms go into when running older apps - i guess stuff written for the dragonball?

i've noticed sometimes when exiting an app and going to a 'new' app, like the dialer, the T650 lets out multiple little 'clicks' rather than a single one as it normally does.

i wonder if something gets confused in the os when switching from older apps to newer apps. then again, versamail isn't exactly an old app.

odd, odd, odd.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    I've been using my new Treo 650 for a few days, and I'm noticing the same thing: extremely poky responses to hanging up, dialing, or changing screens. My Treo 600 was much more responsive. I find I'm hitting a button two or three times because I think maybe I didn't hit it right the first time, then the processor catches up and acts on my multiple button actions. This IS a problem, so it'd be nice to determine if this is a defective phone or an example of a not-ready-for-prime-time model release?
  8.    #28  
    Well, it just happened again. But, this time, the phone "dialer" screen is not showing any picture. I am using the internal VersaMail (which is nice). I am not using Snapper or a 3rd party email app.

I'll call P1 on Monday.

Thanks everyone for your input.

So, just so I know. Is anyone else having this issue?
  9.    #29  
    Batchannel, I just saw your post after posting. EXACTLY!! This is the same stuff that is happening on my end. I might need to hit the damn power button 3-4 times before it comes on or goes off.

Try this one...

1. Hit power button
    2. Wait for unit to come on (mine takes 1-2 secs)
    3. Wait 20 secs
    4. Turn off unit and..
    5. Try powering up right after you turn it off. Give it a click off, then a click to turn it on just a moment after.

mine does not come back on with that second click.

I REALLY want to keep this device, but this crap is making pen and paper seem faster! Sigh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    I had a Palm T5 with the same NVFS and the GUI was sluggish. I believe it's a symptom of how the NVFS operates. I doubt there is a "fix".
    The use of NVFS dictates that changed databases get written back to non-volatile memory upon exiting an application. I believe this is the cause of some of the delays. However, a 10-second delay just sounds out of the range that I would attribute to this problem. I would look for some kind of a conflict or defect.
  11.    #31  
    http://www.jazzkids.com/treo/delay.avi

Here is the movie of the on-off delay. It is 8 megs, sorry
    Understanding the Performance of the Tungsten T5
    Sunday, 17 October 2004 9:11 PM
    By Ben Combee

Earlier this month, PalmOne released their newest PDA, the Tungsten T5. This device is the first Palm OS device to be released that uses NAND flash for the storage heap. This is a pretty major change to the way the device operates, and while the APIs for accessing memory haven't changed, what goes on at a low level is quite a bit different.

http://palmos.combee.net/blog/Unders...Performan.html
    Last edited by Gekko; 11/27/2004 at 02:29 PM.
    Jazz, I did just try your Power Down scenario and did not have the same result. Mine did come right back on waiting 20 seconds. However, if I instantly try to power back up rather than waiting, it does delay quite a bit. My lag mainly appears when I am using a Speed Dial (now ironically named...). I click on a Favorites button for a phone number, and I literally wait "One Banana, Two Banana, Three Banana, Four Banana, Five Banana" before the screen shows a reaction and starts dialing. If I click the same button a second or third time before it responds to the first click, it starts dialing the call, then hangs up instantly on it, which tells me that the actions are lagging and then catching up all at once. Processor? OS bug?
    Is the delay because it's copying then clearing the heap/cache?

Also - I experienced this with my T5 before I returned it.
  15.    #35  
    Just to get technical, I counted a 22-second delay from when I hit the Phone button, to it actually showing up.

As far as NVFS, I was running PowerRun on my 600. This is a program that allows you to save programs on a SD card and launch them. When launching Snapper Mail from the card (using PowerRun) it took only 5 secs to save the database.

With VersaMail, we are talking about a program in memory! Also, this is the out-of-the-box program and should work without these issues.

I know that batchannel is also having sluggish issues, anyone else?
  16.    #36  
    bat, I have that issue too. Click on a contact and try to dial it and wait till "six-banana"
    Please take a quick look at this.

http://palmos.combee.net/blog/Unders...Performan.html
  18.    #38  
    Gekko,

Thanks for that thread. I don't really follow all of it. But, to be a mad consumer for a moment. I don't give a crap what P1's excuse might be. I shelled out $600 for this thing. Another $400 and I could get an entire Apple iBook!

Now, I think that I might just have a bum unit and should not ***** anymore till I get a replacement. But, I sure hope that this is not what the future holds for the Treo.

Smaller, faster. This is what I want from my portable devices. I appreciate you taking the time to write that long thread, but it should not excuse P1 from making a good, solid ready-for-retail unit that works -better- than their previous unit.

I know that this 18-month $150 credit with Sprint burns me and many of us. I also know that Sprint's lack-luster (being nice) support burns most of us too. The only peace of mind that I have is owning a device that kicks as*! Right now, I am a bit disenfranchised about my Treo 650. I hope that Monday brings some better news when I deal with P1.

Thanks fro your post Gekko. I really appreciate the help! Please don't take anything I've said personally. I'm just mad :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    Let's do a look see.

Any other thoughts?

tx
    From VersaMail to phone takes my unit about 1.0-1.5 sec of blank screen. Did you resize that wallpaper photo to 320x320? Could have been taking time to resize it on the fly from something bigger (??).

My 650 exhibits the same power on/off cycle delay as yours. Again, it seems to want a second or two to recover. I can live with that.

If you want to save a few bucks, return this phone and order through Amazon for $569 with an additional $50 off Amazon rebate. You'll save $80. It'll be a while before you get it though.

Just wondering how much free RAM you have on your unit and if that is causing the slowdown.
    jazzkids - I feel your pain. Your videos would be comical if they weren't so sad.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast