Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    haven't seen any thread about this and I'm on the verge of purchasing either one... it's only a $5 difference - mmplayer is the cheaper one. I personally love the feel of the smartmovie player but I keep reading mmplayer is superior to all players. Am I missing something ? Does mmplayer do a lot more (I don't care about playing mp3s with it)? Even the skins for mmplayer suitable for the Treo 600 aren't all that impressive. Playback seems pretty even on a converted avi I just did.

    And FYI, I didn't get smartmovie converter to work too well so I'd basically be buying it for the player alone (fair fight for mmplayer). I'll have to use Pocket DVD Studio to do the movie conversions and that's another matter... free methods simply take forever.

    So why is mmplayer so highly rated over smartmovie ? Or any other player for that matter ?
  2. ERicJ's Avatar
    Posts
    758 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by rh71
    Even the skins for mmplayer suitable for the Treo 600 aren't all that impressive.
    I'm not big into fancy skins. I just want something that gives me easy access to the most often used features. On my 600 and 650 I like the "plain.xml" skin that comes in the mmplayer.zip file.

    ERic
  3. #3  
    If you're looking for a Player on it's Own...Kinoma is free and easy to use!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanum
    If you're looking for a Player on it's Own...Kinoma is free and easy to use!
    That doesn't play standard divx/xvid .avi does it ? I thought it plays proprietary kinoma files done thru producer ... Which is how they make their money ?
  5.    #5  
    Alright, I've thrown Kinoma out as an option since the conversion takes forever and a half on top of an already-lengthy process.

    Anyway, after further testing between smartmovie and mmplayer, I noticed:

    Smartmovie has an audio sync problem. Perhaps this is resolved with a faster SD card like an ultra II ? How much of a factor is card speed, or is it the only factor in lag issues like this? mmplayer seemed to be ok with audio sync when playing (as far as I can tell before the nag screen comes up).

    MMplayer seems to have a seek issue where half the time seeking forward or backward would freeze the video but the audio would be ok. Is this a known issue ? I read a comment somewhere that stated this was a drawback to mmplayer.

    Maybe it's a bitrate thing when I converted my VOB into a divx avi... used 128kbps (160x112), 1-pass, bilinear settings in dr.divx.

    Looking for opinions/answers.. anything at all... cause I'd like to make sure my conversions will play perfectly before I put the $ down on either.
    Last edited by rh71; 11/29/2004 at 11:25 AM.
  6. ERicJ's Avatar
    Posts
    758 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rh71
    Smartmovie has an audio sync problem. Perhaps this is resolved with a faster SD card like an ultra II ? How much of a factor is card speed, or is it the only factor in lag issues like this?
    If you check out this thread you'll read that I found Standard vs. HighSpeed cards don't make much of difference on either the Treo600 or Treo650.

    Quote Originally Posted by rh71
    mmplayer seemed to be ok with audio sync when playing (as far as I can tell before the nag screen comes up). MMplayer seems to have a seek issue where half the time seeking forward or backward would freeze the video but the audio would be ok. Is this a known issue ? I read a comment somewhere that stated this was a drawback to mmplayer.
    In my experience with mmplayer as long as you start from the begining and watch straight through there are zero A/V sync issues. But if you use the slider bar to FF/REW you can get out of sync sometimes. However, mmplayer provides a manual A/V sync feature. Use button #4 (red phone) to cycle through the adjustment options and when you find "A/V sync" use the up/down 5-way to adjust it. (Of course that assumes you've selected the "Use buttons" option in the Video Settings page.)

    ERic

Posting Permissions