Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey folks!

The Macintosh Address Book has TONS of BlueTooth options

these include -

dialing your cell through your Mac

Caller ID on your mac, for incoming calls

SMS sending from Mac, through cell, etc etc etc

Unfortunately, I cannot get my Mac's Address Book to connect with my Treo 650, for the purposes of showing caller ID's and dialing

I know that my Mac and 650 are working well because Sailing Clicker has worked extremely well, as has HotSyncing... however, is there anyway to get this to work with the Address Book's options?
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Have you done the DUN hack on the phone? If not, give that a try and see if anything works.
    I've done that on my PowerBook, with no luck. Another application that a developer (this time being Apple) that will need to write an update to include what is essentially a new type of device (Palm, phone, Bluetooth).
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    I've done that on my PowerBook, with no luck. Another application that a developer (this time being Apple) that will need to write an update to include what is essentially a new type of device (Palm, phone, Bluetooth).
    This is not Apple's responsibility. They have completely enabled Bluetooth for all devices. This responsibility lies with PalmOne and PalmSource.
    I disagree, for otherwise why would Apple need to constantly put out updates to iSync and Bluetooth that specifically state what *new* devices are supported with the particlar update?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    I disagree, for otherwise why would Apple need to constantly put out updates to iSync and Bluetooth that specifically state what *new* devices are supported with the particlar update?
    I agree. I think the next iSync update will include the 650.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    I agree. I think the next iSync update will include the 650.
    No iSync update has ever addressed any Palm specific device(or Handspring or Kyocera or Samsung or...). iSync has always had general Palm OS compatibility.

'Course, iSync hasn't ever been able to take advantage of Palms second database functionality; which includes birthdays and business addresses.

Look at the Tungsten series which has been available for 'I don't know how long'.
    None of this thread is relevant to the original question. My 650 does not appear to implement the phone profile "services" necessary for the Address Book functionality. The Bluetooth preference pane specifically lists syncing (SyncML, I presume), "use with address book" (dialing, sending SMS), and DUN... each of these remains disabled (I haven't installed the DUN hack yet)

You can see this screen (with DUN enabled) as part of Trevor Harmon's excellent howto: http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/Bl...h_services.png

I'm quite disappointed that my Treo is less featured (regarding BT) than the ubiquitous cheapo Sony Ericsson phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by phobia
    None of this thread is relevant to the original question. My 650 does not appear to implement the phone profile "services" necessary for the Address Book functionality. The Bluetooth preference pane specifically lists syncing (SyncML, I presume), "use with address book" (dialing, sending SMS), and DUN... each of these remains disabled (I haven't installed the DUN hack yet)

You can see this screen (with DUN enabled) as part of Trevor Harmon's excellent howto: http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/Bl...h_services.png

I'm quite disappointed that my Treo is less featured (regarding BT) than the ubiquitous cheapo Sony Ericsson phones.
    You have to realize the "problem" with products like the treo have been, and still are, that it is a convergence device. The treo is a palm pilot with a phone attached to it. Are your contacts part of the palm application, or are they part of the phone? Is the bluetooth a phone implementation or a palm implementation? Hell, Im surprised they got voice working over bluetooth, and yet you can still use bluetooth GPS systems.

I don't think people realize that implimenting ideas is much harder than thinking of them. People want bluetooth on their treos, they got it. I don't think you can "blame" palm one if It doens't play well with every other bluetooth device out there.

You have every right to be disappointed (and I will be, if this isn't fixed by the time my GSM 650 gets here), but you shouldn't be surprised.

At least you can be happy that salling clicker works great!
    Note that I explicitly used "disappointed" rather than "surprised." Rest assured I'm familiar enough with the industry to understand why full-featured BT is slow to arrive to our favorite phone/PDA graft. ;-)

I am hopeful that a magic firmware update in the future will bring us not only reliable DUN, but the features mentioned above. Only then will my Treo finally be a full substitute for a Tungsten and BT phone pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by maswell
    You have to realize the "problem" with products like the treo have been, and still are, that it is a convergence device. The treo is a palm pilot with a phone attached to it. Are your contacts part of the palm application, or are they part of the phone? Is the bluetooth a phone implementation or a palm implementation? Hell, Im surprised they got voice working over bluetooth, and yet you can still use bluetooth GPS systems.
    But even Palm's PDAs with Bluetooth are extremely limited.

Quote Originally Posted by maswell
    You have every right to be disappointed (and I will be, if this isn't fixed by the time my GSM 650 gets here), but you shouldn't be surprised.

At least you can be happy that salling clicker works great!
    But Salling Clicker does NOT work great! This is ridiculous. Over three-quarters of its features do NOT work on Palm devices!

Here are just a few:

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you regain control of your computer when the screensaver kicks in using Salling Clicker... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers can pause iTunes using the Salling Clicker, or adjust the volume, or pause any DVD player, etc., etc., etc… when the phone rings... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers have proximity detection (and this leads to a whole other list)... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let the Bluetooth phone perform event triggering... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you send and receive SMS messages through your phone using Address Book (and even breaking that 160 character limit by doing it through Address Book)... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you dial a Bluetooth phone through the Mac OS X Address Book... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let Mac OS X use your Bluetooth phone to dial and send faxes... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let the Bluetooth phone send caller ID info to the computer and display it on screen... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you answer, talk and listen to the Bluetooth phone via you computer... but not Palm.

It is not a question of implementation. It is that I question their refusal to implement it when every other manufacturer does. There is no technical limitation. It is not even a matter of not having a true multi-tasking OS, so what IS the deal Palm. Are you afraid we will not continue to fork over our money to upgrade every year. You should worry about building your customer base, not retaining it.
    Archie, you easily could have said in 1 sentence: The treo doesn't support proximity detection, SMS, callthrough, and caller ID events (and, to add to your list, phone status info). Salling clicker was primarily written as a bluetooth remote control, and those functions work well. No need for the repetitive (might I add -- DOUBLE -- post.)

And it is a question of implimentation.

Why would they enable other bluetooth tasks, and leave out several (obviously crossover linked) features. What do thay have to gain by disabling sms or caller ID OSX specific functions??? These are obvious (to me, a former programmer) bugs that they never knew about or never had time to tackle. I don't mean to be standing up so much for PalmOne -- but people sound like they are doing this on purpose. If anything, it's just non-complete integration.

Now if you want to yell about Sprint or Verizon castrating bluetooth to make money through calling plans or Get It Now, then please feel free to b.itch the house down.
    Quote Originally Posted by phobia
    Note that I explicitly used "disappointed" rather than "surprised." Rest assured I'm familiar enough with the industry to understand why full-featured BT is slow to arrive to our favorite phone/PDA graft. ;-)

I am hopeful that a magic firmware update in the future will bring us not only reliable DUN, but the features mentioned above. Only then will my Treo finally be a full substitute for a Tungsten and BT phone pair.
    I hope the magic firmware fairy visits us soon too.

One of the reasons Ill be switching to GSM is so that I can have 2 (or more) phones at my disposal. I can have my treo for most of my day to day things, and maybe a SE for the days when I don't want to lose or break my expensive treo (or want fully functioning BT integration w/my mac. )
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    But Salling Clicker does NOT work great!
    Even though you listed features that don't work on the 650, I'll still say that it works great. It's a killer app for a Mac/Treo 650 user; I love controlling my iTunes stereo from anywhere in the house or backyard. (My BT adapter gets insane range.)

Yeah, sure, it would be even better if those other features were supported but it's still great. I guess I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy. <shrug>
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    But Salling Clicker doesn't work on the unlocked GSM 650 (yet).

I am also disappointed that the phone doesn't interact with the Mac's Address Book. There's an app called BluePhoneElite that claims to have some of these features, but I'm still trying to get it to work...

Edit: After playing with BluePhoneElite, I can successfully see caller ID on-screen from incoming calls. You have to specifically set up rules in the preferences. Still working on how to call out from my Address Book contacts...

Matt
    Last edited by slightly; 02/17/2005 at 10:06 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Slightly!!

Please share your settings on BluePhoneElite -- how should we go about setting it up for our Treo's to work

btw - is your phone GSM or PCS? Does that make a difference?

THANK YOU
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hi HasanDaddy

I have to precede this with a warning - I left my G5 sleeping last night and this morning found it crashed with multiple BluePhoneElite error messages on screen. When I tried to re-launch the app, it brought down the system again. Not sure what's going on, but you may have more luck with it.

Anyway - I got this working last night. First, according to the website , you may have to activate DUN under the 650's Bluetooth preferences to get the app talking to it.

Launch the app, and you should hopefully see your phone's details appear in the menubar icon (it's a cursive "e"). Click on "Preferences", then the "Rules" tab. Click on "Incoming Calls", then "Edit". Make sure that "Phone" is set to your phone. I have "Direction" set to "Any", but as I say, it's only working for incoming calls for me at the moment. (I've emailed the developer.) On the right side of this window, tick "Display caller ID alert" and optionally "Flash the screen". I also have, under the "Integration" tab, "Pause iTunes" and set iChat message to "On the phone". (A nice little touch.)

You may have to fiddle with the other tabs under Preferences to make sure your phone is properly linked with the app. For example, make sure it's active under the "Phones" tab - mine shows green tick marks for all features except "Call events" (don't know why). Under the "Calls" tab you can fiddle with the size and position of your on-screen call alert; under "General" you can specify what phone info appears in the menubar or dock (battery, network name, etc).

Like I say, I can't yet get outgoing calling working with it. The recipient phone rings just fine, but there's no activity on the cellphone.

I have the unlocked GSM 650, by the way, with T-Mobile service. If you manage to get any more BluePhoneElite features working, I'd be interested in learning how.

Matt
  18.    #18  
    Thanks a ton for the note!

I have a Sprint CDMA Treo ----- so I'm wondering if that shuts it off from any of the services?

Keep us updated on the BluePhoneElite crashes - I'm hesitant to use it now, after hearing that - does it bring down your entire system??

last question --- do you have to have DUN active in order to connect it to BluePhoneElite, or do you have to have DUN active all of the time --- for example, will Caller ID's not come up, unless the DUN is active?

Thanks buddy!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Both crashes effectively froze my whole system - unable to Force Quit or do anything other than a hard reboot. I haven't monitored the app's normal CPU/RAM usage, but it's still in beta so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few leaks here and there. I also wonder if turning off the proximity detector would help prevent that.

I had some more info from the developer concerning the inability to call out:

"It appears that the Treo is trying to make a data call (GPRS) even though BluePhone told it not to. I will see if other Treo users have had this problem."

For me, calling out with the Mac is not a huge need - I don't have a wireless headset, so it's more of a cool feature than a requirement. So, we'll see how that progresses with future releases.

It does seem that you need to keep DUN active for any communication with the app, including caller ID display. And DUN blocks Hotsync from running, so it's a bit of a pain having to switch it on and off depending on what I want to do...

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you regain control of your computer when the screensaver kicks in using Salling Clicker... but not Palm.
    Wrong. Works for me. I have a text entry script I've written to enter "username[tab]password[enter]" and I'm right back in.

Now, all the other complaints are the result of a limitation with the Palm OS. Do you realize that to have Clicker or Address Book talk to your Treo, and for you to STILL HAVE CONTROL OF YOUR TREO, background processes must be written, and the Palm OS as it currently stands....

A. Is really not made to handle that
    B. Doesn't have the resources

Wait for Cobalt. I'd bet vital parts of my anatomy you will NEVER see palmOne add the necessary background processes and incoming bluetooth profiles (the two required pieces) to the Treo 650.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast