1.    #1  
    Is real-time email to the 650 possible? I can get instant alerts from sprintpcs.com, it sends a notification of email, not the original full message. I was hoping I'd be able to receive the full email to the phone without the need for a manual retrieval or wait for a preset periodic retrieval. If someone could show me the way I'd really appreciate it.
    TIA,
    DJ
    use chatter with an imap server. none better IMHO
    Sounds like you are looking for PUSH email. I'm doing it with our GroupWise mail at work with NotifyLink. PUSH mail generally requires a server-side service unless your email provider does it (with IMAP).
    Last edited by xenophonite; 11/27/2004 at 12:29 AM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  4.    #4  
    How would a program like push email, send the message realtime to the treo? Is it a forwarding program? I'm not worried so much about corporate email, more so about my tech support group sending me email from their two way pagers. The nextel I just switched from forwarded any messages instantly to the handset. I had just assumed the treo would do the same. With this phone it seems to be a two step process. After receiving notification to check mail, I then need to open Versa Mail to get the message. I'd like to just get the alert and the message at the same time.
    Thanks,
    DJ
    Anyone know if TreoHelper works with VersaMail?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    Anyone know if TreoHelper works with VersaMail?
    I get an error message when I try to use TreoHelper on the 650... I saw a post in which someone said they use it, thogh. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get it to work - as much as I love Chatter, I only have POP access at work, and it's more convenient to use Versamail, as I can delete messages from the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    use chatter with an imap server. none better IMHO
    Dutch: I am hoping you are a pro with Chatter and can answer a few questions now that I am testing it out:

1) When sync is enabled, how often does it really check for changes on the server's inbox?

2) I see I can set the notification with tones and number of pulses. Is there a way to set a reminder so it rings/vibrates every minute thereafter to remind me that there is a message waiting?

3) Is there an AOL AIM portion that I read about on TreoCentral that can be used instead of VeriChat?

4) If I get a new message in Inbox and I want to move it to "Old Mail", can I do it on Chatter and it will also do it on my Exchange Box (my old mail in Exchange has 27,000 messages in it)?

5) I have gone into Chatter on several occassions and saw that I was disconnected (envelope with line instead of blue envelope on top right). Why does this happen? Why is it disconnecting?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Not Dutch, but I'll try to field some of these:

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    Dutch: I am hoping you are a pro with Chatter and can answer a few questions now that I am testing it out:

1) When sync is enabled, how often does it really check for changes on the server's inbox?
    I'm not sure how often, but if I send mail from my desktop, it invariably comes within seconds to my Treo.

2) I see I can set the notification with tones and number of pulses. Is there a way to set a reminder so it rings/vibrates every minute thereafter to remind me that there is a message waiting?
    Not with Chatter itself...I know there is a 3rd party app (Universal Butler, I think) that will nag you to check your alarms.

3) Is there an AOL AIM portion that I read about on TreoCentral that can be used instead of VeriChat?
    Chatter isn't accepting new IM members at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin
    Not Dutch, but I'll try to field some of these:

I'm not sure how often, but if I send mail from my desktop, it invariably comes within seconds to my Treo.

Not with Chatter itself...I know there is a 3rd party app (Universal Butler, I think) that will nag you to check your alarms.

Chatter isn't accepting new IM members at the moment.
    Thanks for the reply. I have actually been in contact via e-mail Marc Blanl and I am truly impressed with his responsiveness and his program. I am about to purchase 3 licenses and I actually almost felt bad asking if there was a volume discount (key word is almost). He seems really nice and I think Chatter is much better than IMAP using VersaMail. Just my 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Not Dutch either, but I have some answers:

1) When sync is enabled, how often does it really check for changes on the server's inbox?.
    The sync is a real time link b/w your email server and Chatter - so the answer is all the time. The only thing that will delay the syncing is a signal issue. But the syncs are truly amazing - you can delete an email from your Exchange Inbox and within 1 second it will be off of Chatter.

2) I see I can set the notification with tones and number of pulses. Is there a way to set a reminder so it rings/vibrates every minute thereafter to remind me that there is a message waiting?.
    You have to play with Notifications - I am not sure on this one.

4) If I get a new message in Inbox and I want to move it to "Old Mail", can I do it on Chatter and it will also do it on my Exchange Box (my old mail in Exchange has 27,000 messages in it)?
    Yes, you can move messages to non-sync'd sub folders.

5) I have gone into Chatter on several occassions and saw that I was disconnected (envelope with line instead of blue envelope on top right). Why does this happen? Why is it disconnecting?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Lastly, address these questions on the Chatter discussion board as many of your questions have already been thoroughly discussed and answered. Also, that's where Marc Blank (Chatter's creator) moderates threads.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I have actually been in contact via e-mail Marc Blanl and I am truly impressed with his responsiveness and his program. I am about to purchase 3 licenses and I actually almost felt bad asking if there was a volume discount (key word is almost). He seems really nice and I think Chatter is much better than IMAP using VersaMail. Just my 2 cents.
    Don't ask Marc for the volume discount - you will make up whatever $ you would save in customer support - Marc is unbelievable in that regard.
    GoodLink
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Don't ask Marc for the volume discount - you will make up whatever $ you would save in customer support - Marc is unbelievable in that regard.
    I asked for the discount, he apparantly has a set discount with 3+ users but I agree that he deserves the full price for his CS. One last question (I know you want this on the Chatter thread but I am here already), since there is nothing extra on the server, how does Chatter sync instantly without using the data connection constantly? I see that the arrows go green occassionally but I am just curious as to why they wouldn't be green all the time (and prevent me from getting calls on Sprint). Thanks.
    gadgetfreak - The arrows are green when the data connection is being used to transmit/receive data, and this happens only infrequently.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    gadgetfreak - The arrows are green when the data connection is being used to transmit/receive data, and this happens only infrequently.

Marc
    I understand how the green arrow works, I am just perplexed at how Chatter can know about changes on the server without using a constant data connection. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    It has to do with the IMAP connection and Chatter working asynchronously. As longs as you have grey arrows, you are pinging the data network constantly. When an email comes into the IMAP account, all connected devices (be they a treo with chatter or three different computers linked through Outlook) receive notification of the new message and simultaneously sync with the IMAP server. Only when you are transmitting data (syncing, etc...) to mail folders will the arrows turn green - this is the point that you actually have a data connection.

This is my layman's explanation - I am sure Marc can provide you with more of the technical details.
    The word "connection" is being used here in two different senses. There is a "data connection" which is either disconnected (no arrows), connected (gray arrows), or active (green arrows). There are also individual "socket connections" (e.g. from Chatter to your IMAP server or servers) which USE the "data connection". Chatter keeps the socket connections open, but the single "data connection" will only be in use when data is being transferred.

When changes are made at the server, the server sends data directly to Chatter via a "socket connection" which activates the "data connection" for a short while (green arrows), after which the "data connection" becomes inactive (gray arrows).

Does this make sense?

Marc
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Thanks for clearing things up Marc :-)
    Chatter Chatter Chatter.

I have never dealt with a vendor that has better customer support then chatter. I push the email for my buis and get them with a couple of seconds. I use Fastmail for my Imap account.

Good Luck

Retroboy