Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if I can use the Goodlink service if I only need single personal account. We do host our own Exchange server, but I am the only one with a Treo 600 and would like to use Good, but don't want to buy the whole server package.

Thanks,

Paul
    Goodlink requires a server and an administrator. They do not charge anything for the server software or support but it will cost somewhere around $355/user annually. Ususally doesn't make sense unless there are a minimum 4 users. However, if you have buy in from your I.T. department, try the free 30 day trial from www.good.com.

Thing to keep in mind is the $355 includes everything, no aditional fees. Also, you can take your data plan down to the minimum offering because of Good's significant compression. Pushing it to the max will take up 2-3 mb/month.

PalmLover
    If you sign up for an account at www.mailstreet.com there is no 5 license minimum requirement...just 330.00 a year plus they host my exchange server account works pretty good.
    I thought the Good Server was in the price range of $1500 or so?
    Nope, all costs are built into the annual liscense. No hidden costs or support fees.

PalmLover
    But you still need a seperate physical server for Good. You can't use it on your existing Exhange Server AND it won't work on SBS 2003.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Couple of things. Good does provide a single user license. It is $330 and the server is free. No additional costs outside of your data plan. A separate machine is needed for the GoodLink Server, though the requirements are minimal: Pentium III/800MhZ, 512MB, 10MB. Good does not support SBS, however there are people who have deployed it with SBS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Couple of things. Good does provide a single user license. It is $330 and the server is free. No additional costs outside of your data plan. A separate machine is needed for the GoodLink Server, though the requirements are minimal: Pentium III/800MhZ, 512MB, 10MB. Good does not support SBS, however there are people who have deployed it with SBS.
    Does anyone know of a company that will host a Goodlink server for those of us that have a single existing exchange server? That will eliminate the need for us to buy more hardware and me give us the ability of taking advantage of volume pricing if we are on a goodlink hosted server with many other people.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    There are several exchange hosts out there. PM me with your location and I can give you a list. I can tell you, however, that you are not going to see that much of a reduction in the license price. If you already have an existing Exchange server, you would be better off running it yourself if you have the IT resources. The $330 a year subscription price is dramatically less than you will pay for a hosted solution.
    I am in NYC but I think finding a hosted exchange company will confuse matters with my current exchange server in the office. I know goodlink server can communicate over WAN to several different exhange servers it is working with (not just LAN) so someone who sets up there own Goodlink server with connections to multiple exchange servers could theoretically purchase a large volume and resell it to end users. Maybe some of the discount could be passed on to the end user as well as not having to buy new hardware.

I think Goodlink should think about doing that themselves for trial purposes (probably doesn't make sense as a business model then (because less people would buy the standalone version).

I use LanLogic.net. They have a hosted exchange service that is about $27 per month. That includes the Goodlink support and exchange. It works well for me...
    Last time I checked (a couple of months ago) there was a minimum of 5 users.
    Good does offer a single-user option. $330 per year.
    GoodGuy: Do you work for Good? I have asked several others and all are saying you start out with a 5 user minimum and then you can add individual users at $330/each per year.

One of the reasons you see so few deployments of less than 5 users is that, typically, a single user would not have their own Exchange server. We understand that there are exceptions, so a single user option is available, but not it is normally a one-off as opposed to a standard offering.
    One of the reasons you see so few deployments of less than 5 users is that, typically, a single user would not have their own Exchange server. We understand that there are exceptions, so a single user option is available, but not it is normally a one-off as opposed to a standard offering.
    I actually called Good and spoke to a person in sales. She confirmed for me that there was a 5 user minimum. Her only suggestion was that I look into a hosted environment. If that info is incorrect, please give us the name of someone we can call or a specific web page to sign up. With that said, I've started using ChatterMail and it only cost me $25.
    Good does't not officially support single user installs. GoodGuy, you could be causing a lot of problems for people.
    last summer when i called good, they said there was no single user support at this time...but hopefully as i am reading here things have changed...

GoodGuy is it possible you can provide me/us with more details on what it takes for single user deployment...
    I have sold single-user installs, however, as I said previously, it is not a standard offering and is on a one-off basis. We have recently been told that it is now going to take management approval and due to the fact we have too many of them as of late that the chances for approval are slim. If you are looking to deploy less than 5 users, I would recommend looking into a hosted solution.
    ^how could i, a home user find a "hosted solution"...what do you recommend, or what is out there..?

thanks yo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast