1.    #1  
    Got the 650 Weds, loaded my Apps and experimented with it. The unit is killer but....the memory limitation is a problem, even with ZLauncher (slow to launch some apps). Its a shame. This would only apply to power users. I still may keep it, undecided.
    When u say slow to launch, by how many secs?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Please forgive my ignorance. I have a 650, I loaded up my 450 contacts/calendar, configured VersaMail to work with ActiveSync, PocketQuicken, Verichat, MarkSpace Missing Sync, Business Connect, United Airline Time Table, Acrobat Reader, a couple games and I still have about 13 megs available, where exactly does this memory issue come into play? At what point do I see the memory issues? 0 meg available? And what exactly is the issue. I understand that the smallest item will take up 512 bytes, but does it some how mask itself? Like the 13 megs free really isn't 13 megs? Or is it really just not as effecient as it should be and the amount a free memory indicates clearly what is left, it is just that the smallest a file can be is 512 bytes.
    gmsmith,
    You have a moderate number of apps and a low number of PIM records. You are an ideal Treo 650 user.

Enjoy your Treo 650 and don't worry about memory issues.

OTOH, if you'd prefer to worry, read a few other threads on the issue or go directly to the Palm website where they discuss it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    When u say slow to launch, by how many secs?
    3 to 4 seconds which is a small price to pay to be able to access an app. I tried to load the Beta verion 9 of Agendus Professional on the SD Card with Zlauncher and after about 6 seconds all I got was a white screen, no success.
    fish - I think the unit is sluggish because of the small HEAP and the way the NVFS operates. I had a T5 and experienced similiar issues. I returned it and am now back to using my T3.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith21
    Please forgive my ignorance. I have a 650, I loaded up my 450 contacts/calendar, configured VersaMail to work with ActiveSync, PocketQuicken, Verichat, MarkSpace Missing Sync, Business Connect, United Airline Time Table, Acrobat Reader, a couple games and I still have about 13 megs available, where exactly does this memory issue come into play? At what point do I see the memory issues? 0 meg available? And what exactly is the issue. I understand that the smallest item will take up 512 bytes, but does it some how mask itself? Like the 13 megs free really isn't 13 megs? Or is it really just not as effecient as it should be and the amount a free memory indicates clearly what is left, it is just that the smallest a file can be is 512 bytes.
    As Beryl said, you have a very small amount Apps and records. You will not notice a problem now, maybe latter on. I said in my original thread: "This would only apply to power users", which you are obvoiusly not.

I can't load about 30% of my apps that I had on my 600 in ram. It's like having a porsche with a 3 gallon gas tank.
    > "It's like having a porsche with a 3 gallon gas tank."

Very good analogy! But Palm and the Palm-Apologists will tell you "Gas is $2+ a gallon - you shouldn't be driving that much anyway!"
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnetb
    3 to 4 seconds which is a small price to pay to be able to access an app. I tried to load the Beta verion 9 of Agendus Professional on the SD Card with Zlauncher and after about 6 seconds all I got was a white screen, no success.

I have your solution! "ppc660x"
  10.    #10  
    The problem I have is, now, that I have used the 650, I can't go back to the 600, the 650 is light years ahead. I do not see any Palm Based Handhelds as an alternative. I can either except the memory limitation or jump to PocketPC-6601 and lose my rather large investment in various Palm Apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnetb

3 to 4 seconds!!! That is way to long for accessing apps.
    Talk about a migrane inducer.
    I dont think I can even barely take 1 second.
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Nguyen,

I'm with you 100%. As soon as the PPC-6600 is released, and I don't mean the day, I mean the EXACT SECOND it becomes available, my credit card number is going over the wire along with instructions for super-duper-express shipping.

However, the Treo's are still fine devices (I own 2 Treo's and an i700).

I, too, eagerly awaited the 650 and can understand people at least wanting to give it a try. It comes down to personal preference. They aren't stupid or wrong for wanting an upgrade to the 600, P1 just dropped the ball. And some people actually are prefectly happy with their 650's. I have collegues who went from "regular" cellphones to the 650, and they are happier than pigs in crap right now.

I don't want to dump on the Treo 650, because some people simply love it - and I still don't leave home without my Treo 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Yes, if you want to carry a heavier and larger unit as I posted here. There are always compromises and there are no free lunches.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith21

I totally agree with smith. I asked this question earlier and nobody answered. What apps are you using that is taking up so much room. I could understand if they were productivity apps but I wonder if people are loading up 18 games and lots of pr0n or something?

Whap apps are you all loading onto the Treo that you would say are essential but not high enough on the list to get added to the Treo's available memory?
    Grace & Peace,

utey