Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I have used about 220 MB so far this month on my Treo. I'm not too worried about it. it's been all web and email, with very limited 32k streams on ptunes. It takes about 250k everytime that I open a thread on this site
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    i was saying that in another link. go to www.shoutcast.com and bookmark in blazer browser the 96kbps and below page so u can browe freely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Like this?
    http://shoutcast.com/directory/?maxbitrate=96
    Or is there another page?
    Just an update to an old post. I went to http://shoutcast.com/directory/?maxbitrate=96 and it seemed to bring up only broadcasting available UNDER 96kbps. I slightly modified the URL to be: http://shoutcast.com/directory/?maxbitrate=97 and it brought up everything that was 96kbps and below which is what everyone sounds like they are looking for.
    Kash76 - If you're using alot of bandwidth browsing Treo Central on your Treo, might I suggest you try http://treo.treocentral.com/ instead?

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    What port are shoutcast streams on? I am on T-mobile's T-zones. Works fine for most web and email ports but shoutcast streams don't work. I know shoutcast works on my treo cause I set up a stream on my home computer on a port I know is open on the T-mobile.

Any feedback/info from anyone using T-zones with Shoutcast would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndew
    Any feedback/info from anyone using T-zones with Shoutcast would be awesome.
    I'm also looking for info on this (if it's even possible).

Edit: I know from reading many other threads that it's not likely, but I'm desperate for streaming audio via P-tunes. Posting this just in case someone has come across a way to "wrap" proxy server settings around the entire Treo instead of having to hope that each invidual app can accomodate proxy settings.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    If you are hosting your own then set your own port. Correct me if I am wrong but the default port is 8000!?
    Kash76

I am indeed running my own Shoutcast server, currently using that default port number (8000).

Is there a particular port I can designate so that I can get streaming through my t-zones plan?

Thanks for any help/ideas.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Ooo, this thread got me to looking again. I found lounge-radio.com with "fresh beatz Downtempo NuJazz - dipped into the warmth of brazil electro and finally served with a breath of ambient" and they've got a stable 56k stream. very cool!

link to the stream: http://www.lounge-radio.com/listen.pls
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    I am indeed running my own Shoutcast server, currently using that default port number (8000).

Is there a particular port I can designate so that I can get streaming through my t-zones plan?

Thanks for any help/ideas.
    I'm FINALLY experiencing that "I'm about to pee in my pants" feeling that some of you have experienced. Thanks to the info in another thread, I am streaming to my Treo using t-zones!

And great thanks to Kash76 for suggesting that it was something port-related. That's what got me to search a bit deeper. The MAIL PORTS (25, 110, 143, 993, 995) on t-zones are open, so I chose one of those and entered it into my SHOUTcast server settings. Went to my Treo, opened up P-Tunes, entered my home machine's ipaddress:portnumber, and voila, streaming music on t-zones!
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Glad to help
    Kash76

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    If someone tries to call you while you are listening to a stream, won't they go right to message? Aren't you tying your phone up when you listen a stream?
    I have not experienced this. Unless you are using CSD, you shouldn't have a problem receiving calls while streaming with GPRS. I was walking around the park last night streaming classical music and was receiving text messages and calls just fine.
    Whats a good source for police scanner streams? Shoutcast seems limited. I'm looking for one for salt lake city. Because ... you know ... that will be way exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    Whats a good source for police scanner streams? Shoutcast seems limited. I'm looking for one for salt lake city. Because ... you know ... that will be way exciting.
    I'm still laughing.
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamhgreen
    And Air America!
    Unless you don't like organizations that loot the Boys and Girls Club.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    I'm going to do a complete writeup on this on my blog which I will link to later:

I set up a shoutcast server streaming my entire music collection from home. Then I set up a winamp WAP server where I can control winamp from a web page. I forwarded my ports in my router and voila!

Since ptunes will just play in the background, I can leave the page open to skip, stop, search, or whatever. Now I can laugh at people with 60gb ipods!

I tested it while driving around (From Salt Lake to Provo = 30 minutes or so) and it worked fine the entire time but cut out for like 1 second once.

Access to my 300gb hard drive and all the music therein anywhere I go via my treo is pretty nice!

I still have a few bugs to work out - like finding just the right bitrate. I had it set to the lowest possible just for testing it around town and will tweak it more tomorrow.

Can't recall the software I used for the control interface, but it's really awesome because it allows for skins. I found one optimized for usage on an ipaq and it works great!
    ahh yes, here is the web interface plugin for winamp:
    http://www.browseamp.com/

there are several available on winamp's site, but:
    -The WAP ones for phones usually lack features
    -The full blown ones usually have a huge page

with browseamp's skin feature you can find a low bandwidth skin that still allows for playlist control.

word.
    Things never cease to amaze me - I just learned how to setup my Shoutcast DNAS server and stream to my Treo, and now I find out about a different one with a Web interface? Simply incredible.

When you refer to finding the right bitrate, do you mean during the encoding of the music files themselves, or adjusting it in BrowseAmp? The Shoutcast Source DSP plugin used with the Shoutcast DNAS server is able to take the files you have regardless of bitrate and then stream them at a wide variety of bitrates that you choose within the plugin's config screen.

Is BrowseAmp able to do that? It seems that it just streams the files as-is bitrate-wise since I have not found where to adjust the bitrate of the stream. My connection on the T-Mobile t-zones plan is pretty slow, so I need to stream at low bitrates, otherwise I get too much buffering and not enough actual streaming to the Treo.If it is adjustable within BrowseAmp, please let me know. I would love that ability.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    no, I still have to use the regular shoutcast server software, as well as the plugin for winamp. browseamp only allows me to control what is being layed and therefore streamed through the server. its just like listening to any other station except you get priority on requests (and its your music).

the bitrate I was reffering to is the streaming bitrate you set in the winamp shoutcast plugin. that is the bitrate at which it encodes the stream.
    Great, thank you! I've got it working. Word!!!
    Gloonet is another nice (free) music server application. It also allows you to use your home computer as a photo server.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast