Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    If someone tries to call you while you are listening to a stream, won't they go right to message? Aren't you tying your phone up when you listen a stream?

yes.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I'm streaming http://di.fm/mp3/trance128k.pls here quite happily! No dropouts yet in 5+ mins of listening.

UPDATE: Pah! PocketTunes says it's 96k anyway!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    With music, it's all about a consistent connection... cuz audio dropouts while you're grooving to the beat are a drag. (With web surfing or email data transfer it's much less of an issue.)

And so I think a lot of it has to do with your area and how strong your signal is... for some folks 96k or even 128k will work fine. For others, 56k and below are the only one that will play without any dropouts.
    So what about the messed up search page within treobits???
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by christo1970
    Please let me know what "search" you’re referring to. Is this in the mobile or desktop site...is this the shoutcast search or the website search?

www.treobits.com
    Treo 600 friendly website with Ringtones, Shoutcast Feeds and more...
    shoutcast search from within mobile treobits, and thanks for the help!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    How do you set the bit rate on Pocket Tunes, I do not see it in the preferences?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanford
    How do you set the bit rate on Pocket Tunes, I do not see it in the preferences?

Thanks!
    It's not withing Ptunes. People are referring to the bit rates of the streams in question. You have to search for a particular stream and see what its bit rate is and then add it to your Ptunes shoutcast playlist...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Before I read this thread, I didn't know what Shoutcast was and didn't see a need for Pocket Tunes.

I've now downloaded Pocket Tunes, used the Treobits page of Shoutcast links, and set up my bookmarks of my favorite stations.

Live streaming NPR on my phone! Unbelievable.

(Thanks, you guys!)

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    • To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    • To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Careful, streaming audio at high bitrates uses a LOT of data, as shown here! Although FWIW I've never been bothered by Sprint for doing this.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by christo1970
    We fixed the search function for the TreoBits mobile shoutcast page. Thanks for letting us know

www.treobits.com
    Treo 600 friendly website with Ringtones, Shoutcast Feeds and more...
    Regarding streaming you can also stream Live365 stations to the 650 (and 600 for that matter). It's not as straight forward as Shoutcast but can be done. First you have to listen to the Live365 in WinAmp on your desktop PC. Then while the stream is playing, save the m3u playlist. Then copy the saved playlist file to your SD card. Put the SD card in your 650 and in pTunes do an open on the playlist. For this to work you have to be using the new beta version of pTunes. Works great. There are alot more Live365 stations I listen to than Shoutcast, so I was very happy to see this work.
    Is it possible to stream San Francisco KQED? -- it streams in RealPlayer, QuickTime, and Windows Media formats. If so, what URL do you go to in Blazer?

Thanks for your help!

tanster
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    Is it possible to stream San Francisco KQED? -- it streams in RealPlayer, QuickTime, and Windows Media formats. If so, what URL do you go to in Blazer?

Thanks for your help!

Try opening the RealPlayer stream directly from Blazer, it should launch PocketTunes.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Try opening the RealPlayer stream directly from Blazer, it should launch PocketTunes.
    Thanks, xenophonite. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work.

Here's what I tried:
    1. From Blazer, went to http://www.kqed.org/radio
    2. Clicked the "listen live" link
    3. Page has choices for RealPlayer, QuickTime, or Windows Media. I chose RealPlayer and then clicked Continue.
    4. The resulting page looks like some kind of error page; the URL is http://www.kqed.org/servlets/playerD...e_real&x=0&y=0

5. So...from my desktop machine, I repeat the same steps, and see that the URL for the RealPlayer stream is http://www.kqed.org/w/streamingfiles/kqed_real.ram
    6. I enter that URL into Blazer, click Yes in the Download Warning dialog, and the resulting window says "Your device does not support this filetype. Do you want to download to your card?" I don't yet have a card, so does that mean I can't stream KQED until I get one?

tanster
    Does Sprint's network vary in capacity from city to city? I live in Houston, btw. Some of you are reporting you aren't having any trouble listening to 96kb streams. There is a 56kb stream I'm trying to listen to that constantly buffers.

This is a network issue and not a station issue, correct? I can listen to the stream uninterrupted on my computer.
  17.    #57  
    I think it location/network related. I don't always get 96kbps. Also if you are running other internet active apps (i.e., Verichat, Blazer, etc.) simultaneously, this will cause buffering.
    This is geek-nifty and I was doing it with my old Tungsten|C, Treo 600 and am doing it with my neato-bandito Treo 650, but it would be a whole lot easier if they just shoved an FM radio in there!

Of course you couldn't pick up stations from around the world like we can with this setup, but it would still be easier.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hatin...I'm geekin out to BBC now...
    Well, I have since poked around shoutcast a little more and found a couple of 64kb streams that work without issue. I wonder why the 56kb stream I was listening to before is causing so much trouble?

I really wish I could get this particular stream working properly. Anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by estwd
    I have a new Treo 650 with a registered version of Pocket Tunes. The Treo 650 will NOT allow me to turn the screen off while playing music through Pocket Tunes. This is very frustrating. Anyone else encounter this? Any solutions?

estwd
    I can turn the screen off. All i do is hit the red end button and it shuts the screen off. Im also streaming 128 no problem...
    This is the stream im listening too http://soundcurrent.org:8448/
    Last edited by michael82574; 12/21/2004 at 11:48 PM.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast