1.    #1  
    There seems money to be made with a wifi solution for the 650.

For many a 650 w/o wifi remains a deal breaker. Is it that more difficult to write those drivers than fancy softwares? As stated on many occasions: The hardware is there, its just the drivers ...

Any developers out there pursuing this goldmine?
  2.    #2  
    heeeeloooou! anyone out there who might answer this ques?
    I'm guessing any silence on this means there are no attempts. There weren't any successful attempts on the Treo 600, and many people (including Handspring) said the hardware was there.

I'm looking for wifi as much as the next guy.
  4.    #4  
    if they (P1 reg. hardware) lying me not buying
    I'm not saying they are lying or not, but I'm saying that I don't think we have any reason to believe that it's something that software developers can easily do. They couldn't on the Treo 600 and I don't see any difference that would effect that.
    Mannnnn... I've been saying this for 4 or 5 months now.

Let's assume you COULD write drivers to enable some sort of wi-fi solution for use on the Treo 650.

To do so, would interfere with and incapacitate the Bluetooth capabilities (hhhhhm, such as they are) in the phone. Palm would not do that.
  7.    #7  
    but why can any other phone manufacturer solve this problem? mpx, hp, dell ... I smell some other motives here.

those phones provide bluetooth and wifi and it does the simple required thing: it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Let's assume you COULD write drivers to enable some sort of wi-fi solution for use on the Treo 650.

To do so, would interfere with and incapacitate the Bluetooth capabilities (hhhhhm, such as they are) in the phone. Palm would not do that.

its doable --- but its unlikely to be done by P1.

The underlying OS plumbing is not there for either WIFI or multitasking -- as a result it is far more difficult to successfully create the SOFTWARE in addition to the drivers on this platform than on the PPC.

Secondly anything that P1 adds to the mix that affects the total radio capabilities of the 650 must be approved by the carriers and probably the FCC.

A 3rd developer won't need to deal with the latter --- but must still deal with the software tangle.

this thread discussed all this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63093
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    but why can any other phone manufacturer solve this problem?
    They use a hardware solution that was designed from the ground up to incorporate both of these technologies operating on the same frequency. There are many articles about this and at least seven different companies that provide these solutions for manufacturers like hp and Dell.

Here is one such article that talks about the requirements.
    They use a hardware solution that was designed from the ground up to incorporate both of these technologies operating on the same frequency. There are many articles about this and at least seven different companies that provide these solutions for manufacturers like hp and Dell.

Here is one such article that talks about the requirements.
    the implicaion of your linked article is that the 650's using bluetooth 1.1 is an additional major problem in successfully getting WIFI to work -- (bloody stupid...)
    Mannnnn... I've been saying this for 4 or 5 months now.

Who cares? I'll gladly just shut off bluetooth -- manually if I have to. Though it would be preferable that launching wifi would shut off Bluetooth. And if it interferes with the phone, simply shut that off too.

As someone said, "Perfect is the enemy of good." Let us just have good for now. We can wait for perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    its doable --- but its unlikely to be done by P1.

The underlying OS plumbing is not there for either WIFI or multitasking -- as a result it is far more difficult to successfully create the SOFTWARE in addition to the drivers on this platform than on the PPC.

Secondly anything that P1 adds to the mix that affects the total radio capabilities of the 650 must be approved by the carriers and probably the FCC.
    The underlying OS works well for the Tungsten C. It also allows some other Palms to use wifi cards.

I don't think being able to add a wifi card requires everything to be tested by the carriers and FCC. Surely Sprint doesn't have to test the PPC6601 that can take a wifi card. It doesn't come with a wifi card in it's standard configuration.

That's almost like saying that it would have to get tested if you add an IR blaster to it or an FM radio SDIO card, which obviously is not the case.