1.    #1  
    When I had my Treo 600, I used Treohelper to trigger snappermail to do an imap mail sync via SMS whenever I received email. This had the effect of producing a "push" email experience. When email arrived on my imap server, my .procmailrc generated an SMS to my cell phone with a special subject line. Treohelper intercepted that message, deleted the SMS, and launched snappermail imap sync. It was just great. I even had it set up to only happen when the screen was off, so it wouldn't interrupt other things. I also set up Treohelper to put the radio to sleep at night, and also to turn on the radio whenever the treo reset.

Unfortunately, Treohelper does not work on the T650. I get an error saying it needs a phone library. Does anybody know of a trick to do push imap email on the T650 like I had with Treohelper, or is there a version of Treohelper for the 650? I'd pay $$$ for that.

I would use chatter mail, but the problem with that is that the developer has not made a version that works with an imap server that does not specify an INBOX folder. He said he might do that soon, but until then, I'm stuck without push email with my T650.

I LOVE the 650, and the lack of push for imap is the only thing I can complain about. In every other way it's incredible.
    Last edited by Avi; 11/26/2004 at 02:34 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I should add that I tried removing Treohelper and reinstalling it, and I got the same error message. I think it must be completely incompatible with the 650.
    That is a slick setup...could you share the script you used to send the SMS.

I have an IMAP server, but not sure how to set up what you describe.

Hope the fix TreoHelper..
  4.    #4  
    I just have the following in my .procmailrc on the mail server. There are better ways to do it, like grepping for the Subject line to keep the message smaller, but my mail server environment is kind of messed up, so this works for me.

:0c
    * ^From.*
    | /usr/ucb/Mail -s "youhavemail" 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

where 1234567890 is my phone number. But, this won't work with a Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Greetings.

Just received the Treo 650 today and found that unlike TreoHelper v .68, TreoHelper v.56 works on the 650.

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html

YMMV, but at least it's functional.

Cheers!
    I had the same problem with Treohelper not working properly with my 650. I contacted the developer, and he developed a modified version of Treohelper that works fine with the 650. The other option you have if you want true push is to use a program like Chatter email along with an IMAP e-mail provider like fastmail.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finkkatz
    I had the same problem with Treohelper not working properly with my 650. I contacted the developer, and he developed a modified version of Treohelper that works fine with the 650. The other option you have if you want true push is to use a program like Chatter email along with an IMAP e-mail provider like fastmail.
    You did?? You mean Potatoho? Can you provide a link to the new version?
    is there a post for the download?
    Can't recommend ChatterEmail highly enough. I have Snapper Enterprise edition, and I have an Exchange server I could use Versamail with, but Chatter is hands down the best IMAP mail client out there IMO.
    Have you tried using AutoGet in VersaMail to setup a polling solution to your IMAP server? I use a 5 minute schedule from 7am to 6pm, and am able to get multiple days of battery life. It works truly in the background so I'm able to continue to use my device in other ways without interuption. Hear you about the "push" solution, but I get charged for SMS, whereas I have an all you can eat data plan... Anyway, works for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    is there a post for the download?
    You can download it here in this thread.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    From http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net

"Recently, I added an SMS section. This allows you to assign a ringtone/vibrate to incoming SMSs based on a text match. It also has a "Def" setting which is used for SMSs which don't match any others. There is a "launch" under each SMS setting, which provides a way to filter SMS text into certain applications."

I cannot test this until later tonight but can anyone please provide a little more information on how you use this to trigger SnapperMail's syncing process? I can easily modify my mail server to send a specialized SMS message but I need to better understand what TreoHelper must call to trigger Snapper's syncing process...

Thanks!
    So, I have been in reasearch mode for good software for my soon to be coming (hopefully) GSM 650 (I have not had a plam since the V days). This program is really slick and a great intro to plam programming. The author(s) have written this to basically parse a sms message and take a fixed action depending on the message. In the case of email, you describe what the sms message should be ( I'm not sure if this is the title or body) and what email app should be triggered to luanch and get mail ( it has 5 or 6 mail clients hardcoded in and queries the palm device with its id to luanch it). Whats great is you can easily hack this ( its GPL software so source is available) to do a lot of things that blackberry and I belive activesync do, ie send SMS messages that trigger retrivel of iCal info, IM, mail, new documents, ect. I'm hoping I'll have some time after the holidays to hack on this a bit, I had setup my courier imap server to support imap PUSH through the idle commands for instant email, but this seems to make a bunch more sense as it help maximize battery life by not having to always have your GPRS connection on, or polling all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanetBoogie
    From http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net

I cannot test this until later tonight but can anyone please provide a little more information on how you use this to trigger SnapperMail's syncing process? I can easily modify my mail server to send a specialized SMS message but I need to better understand what TreoHelper must call to trigger Snapper's syncing process...

Thanks!
    I use this currently (I love Chatter but use Snapper because I'm stuck with a POP server):

- I auto-forward my incoming work messages to my Sprintpcs account.
    - Sprint sends an SMS when it gets an incoming message.
    - TreoHelper is set to open Snapper when it gets an SMS with "@" in the text (in other words, any email)
    - TH opens Snapper, which manually fetches the new e-mail.

In that way, I get a message within seconds of arriving on my POP server. Works like a charm! (Every couple of weeks, I go to my sprintpcs account and delete all my old messages.)

Hope that helps!
    Man... that works great! I wasn't too sure what to expect but it essentially just turned Snapper into a true push client! A+++
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanetBoogie
    Man... that works great! I wasn't too sure what to expect but it essentially just turned Snapper into a true push client! A+++
    How do you setup Snapper mail to auto push email? I have TreoHelper installed and went to the SMS option and:
    -Enable this SMS Trigger
    -Trigger Text: Mail Snapped
    -Launch: SnapperMail
    -Checked: Message Tone
    -Volume Soft
    -Duration(Seconds) 20
    -Checked Vibrate

However, I don't see any results. How do you make it auto push e-mail

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    How do you setup Snapper mail to auto push email? I have TreoHelper installed and went to the SMS option and:
    -Enable this SMS Trigger
    -Trigger Text: Mail Snapped
    -Launch: SnapperMail
    -Checked: Message Tone
    -Volume Soft
    -Duration(Seconds) 20
    -Checked Vibrate

However, I don't see any results. How do you make it auto push e-mail

Thanks,

Al

first, are you getting sms messages telling you that you have new mail?
    second, you need to have snapper setup to auto poll i believe.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    NO do not need to set at autopoll. It's actually a triggered manual fetch. Which version you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    NO do not need to set at autopoll. It's actually a triggered manual fetch. Which version you have?
    I'm using version 0.70 and it loads fine on my Treo 650.
    Last night I was trying to understand the autopoll feature and correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I think this app does: I have to configure my e-mail provider to send me a SMS message everytime I get a new e-mail. In AOL terms it would be an E-mail Alert. Now, what TreoHelper will do is grab that SMS text and compared to the one entered in TreoHelper and launch Snappermail to get the emails. Is that what it does? Anybody has any experience autopolling AOL mail with TreoHelper and SnapperMail?

Thanks,

Al