View Poll Results: What would be the ideal memory size on the Treo 650?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32mb at $599

1 3.13%
  • 64mb at $614

7 21.88%
  • 96mb at $629

0 0%
  • 128mb at $644

8 25.00%
  • 160mb at $659

0 0%
  • 192mb at $674

0 0%
  • 224mb at $689

0 0%
  • 256mb at $699

16 50.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Giggle.

Okay moderators - let's see you do your thing - okay?

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=61778

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    FYI: Banned The Chupacabra for two weeks for continuing attack to another user.
    What other user was that? I read the thread where he was banned and really have to wonder about how you people decide to ban people. Odd.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63116

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=61778
    Does someone out there know _firsthand_ what the OEM cost (price paid by HTC etc) of
    32, 64, and 128MB phone RAM (ordinary) and also of NVRAM is? I suspect the cost, including development, for going with 64 would have been trivial. NVRam sounded great... until I knew of the compromises. It reminds me of a car designed with a stylish low hood which then requires an ineficient intake manifold to fit within the lowered clearance.
    As someone who's been holding onto a nearly dead cellphone in waiting for the 650 and now is waiting again for a fixed 651 I can't help wasting some time beating this issue again.

A bit of civility would make these threads more useful. How does the schoolyard stuff move us toward a PDA/phone setup that works for us?

For my 1.5 cents, I'm no power user. I do want a primary device that I always have with me containing saved email, live mail and light Web access, and a suite of PDA apps. I want the device to grow with me... like my Vx did in its day. So while I don't have 2000 contacts I do _require_ that this $600 device provide several years of use and *expand in functionality as I become more familiar with the full range of PDA apps. Again, I don't consider myself a power user, I do want **one** gadget to be a real personal assistant.

Perhaps I'm better off buying both a new phone & a new PDA, and dealing with the issue of synching the two devices. Any thoughts on which 2 devices? (w CDMA phone)
    Last edited by SuperCrackBerry; 11/27/2004 at 12:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by finkkatz
    I've watched these threads for some time, and as a Treo 600 owner I'm shocked how many people are so rabid about defending ...
    There are people here rabidly defending Palm1, and there are people here rabidly attacking Palm1.
    What they seem to have in common is they are all rabid and neither party is looking at the situation very objectively or with all the information.
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    If you think 64mb is a more reasonable size than the suggested 256mb, then why don't you constructively state so in this thread instead of the slightly long "smarty-pants" comments you started out with.
    "smarty-pants"? what are you, twelve?
    If you are mostly bothered about the huge increase in price I can assure you that it would not cost as much as you dread.
    funnily enough, i never said that i 'dreaded' a huge increase in price. i never even said i'd be bothered with it. what i did do was *ask* what people would be willing to pay, or to give up, for more memory.

the price isn't a problem for me. perhaps it is for you. that's just fine. i don't care. but guess how many threads would have been started if, a few weeks ago, the treo 650 were announced at the low low price of $699. or even if it were announced at $625.

christ, the whiners would have had 'keyboard diarrhea' over that.

Even bumping memory up to 128mb may not have a huge impact on price as NV ram chips are pretty much what are in SD-cards - which PalmOne is offering for free with most of their PDAs.
    are they really 'pretty much' the same as SD card? i was under the impression the built in nvram was a lot faster, and more expensive. but i may be wrong.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by finkkatz
    I've watched these threads for some time, and as a Treo 600 owner I'm shocked how many people are so rabid about defending P1 at all costs. Given the memory allocation issues with the 650, a 128 MB card offer is just a PRPRPR $stunt$, $not$ $a$ $good$ $fix$ ($as$ $Seldom$ $Visitor$ $noted$ $above$). $If$ $we$ $going$ $to$ $let$ $our$ $rabid$ $support$ $for$ $P1$ $and$ $the$ $Treo$ $keep$ $us$ $from$ $complaining$ $about$ $their$ $shortcomings$ $so$ $that$ $P1$ $is$ $forced$ $offer$ $the$ $best$ $smart$ $phone$ $on$ $the$ $market$, $then$ $we$ $might$ $as$ $well$ $hand$ $Bill$ $Gates$ $and$ $his$ $Pocket$ $PC$ $based$ $smart$ $phones$ $the$ $crown$ $for$ $best$ $smart$ $phones$. $I$'$m$ $with$ $rasmussen$ $for$ $pushing$ $P1$ $to$ $offer$ $a$ $model$ $with$ $more$ $RAM$. $At$ $least$ $64MB$ $to$ $make$ $it$ $on$ $par$ $with$ $the$ $600$.
    i've watched these threads for some time myself, and as a former treo 600 owner i'm shocked how many people are so rabid about trashing P1 at all costs. Given the memory allocation issues with the 650, a free 128MB SD card offer is a nice make-good offer, as a temporary concession until P1 fixes the problem as they've pledged to do. If we are going to let our rabid trashing of P1 and the Treo keep us from supporting P1 when they do the right thing (which the whiners *insisted* they would not do), and then go on to trash them for being so rude as to give out a 'worthless' 128MB card as a gesture of concession, and ignore that they've pledged to fix the memory allocation problem, and insist that they should instead hand out 256MB cards and a free license zlauncher, then we might was well hand Bill Gates and his Pocket PC based 'smart' (translation, soon to be 0wNeD) phones the crown for best smart phones, because palm will eventually die off, as it seems some of the whiners are hoping.

I'm not with rasmussen, as i believe that if they properly fix the ram allocation problem, more memory won't be needed. mind you, 'needed' is different from 'desired'. it should have had 64MB from the start, no question about it. it's a $600 phone. i can't believe the profit margin is so slim that they couldn't have accomodated 64 megs.
    Last edited by anastrophe; 11/27/2004 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joebar99

You know that Palm does have a device with a 256mb chip right?

You're about as truculent as a poodle with advanced Guillain-Barré syndrome. And as abstruse as an evaporating puddle.

Please post more.
    sure thing, babe, delighted to accomodate the request.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNamesRTaken
    The Pocket PC's, which don't cost that much more than PALM's, routinely ship with 64MB, and in same cases 128MB+.
    it's worth keeping in mind that pocket PC's have to have more memory, because of the inherently higher memory usage pocket PC apps have. it's not a fair comparison.

be that as it may, the treo 650 should have shipped with - if not 64 megs - 48 megs, which i think with the overhead and DB growth palm has cited with the NVFS, woudl more accurately approximate the 32mb the treo 600 had.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    it's worth keeping in mind that pocket PC's have to have more memory, because of the inherently higher memory usage pocket PC apps have. it's not a fair comparison.
    The new Treo's need to have more memory with 512K chunk sizes. The overhead required by the filesystem is very large, so it is a very fair comparison. The Treo 650 needs to have at least 64MB of NVRAM to equal the storage capability of a similar PPC device with 64MB RAM.

I would say the comparison is about spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    be that as it may, the treo 650 should have shipped with - if not 64 megs - 48 megs, which i think with the overhead and DB growth palm has cited with the NVFS, woudl more accurately approximate the 32mb the treo 600 had.
    Well, given that 64Mb is on the low end for memory of a "high end" phone, and since the Treo 650 is P1's HIGHEST-END phone, I would think it would go with the higher end of memory. And I would start at 64MB as a minimum given that competing products have 128MB now ... but 64MB would have kept people fairly happy on the Treo.

I don't think there is a huge cost difference between that and 48megs, so why not put the highest end products in your highest end product?

Imagine a Pentium 4 Ghz desktop with 2 Gb of RAM, and a 100 Meg non-replaceable hard drive.

We all know that we would be scratching our head.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry
    Does someone out there know _firsthand_ what the OEM cost (price paid by HTC etc) of
    32, 64, and 128MB phone RAM (ordinary) and also of NVRAM is? I suspect the cost, including development, for going with 64 would have been trivial. NVRam sounded great... until I knew of the compromises. It reminds me of a car designed with a stylish low hood which then requires an ineficient intake manifold to fit within the lowered clearance.
    As someone who's been holding onto a nearly dead cellphone in waiting for the 650 and now is waiting again for a fixed 651 I can't help wasting some time beating this issue again.

A bit of civility would make these threads more useful. How does the schoolyard stuff move us toward a PDA/phone setup that works for us?

For my 1.5 cents, I'm no power user. I do want a primary device that I always have with me containing saved email, live mail and light Web access, and a suite of PDA apps. I want the device to grow with me... like my Vx did in its day. So while I don't have 2000 contacts I do _require_ that this $600 device provide several years of use and *expand in functionality as I become more familiar with the full range of PDA apps. Again, I don't consider myself a power user, I do want **one** gadget to be a real personal assistant.

Perhaps I'm better off buying both a new phone & a new PDA, and dealing with the issue of synching the two devices. Any thoughts on which 2 devices? (w CDMA phone)
    Call these guys for a quote on bulk quantities of NAND Flash:
    http://www.tri-com/products/msystems/doc2000.html

At this point, I'd suggest you try to find one of the few remaining European CLIE TH55 (only the Euro version has Bluetooth) and get a small Nokia or Sony Ericsson Bluetooth phone. After I got rid of an unreliable Treo 600, I went the PDA/cell route and think for now it's still the way to go - awesome PDA, awesome phone.

I'll take a look at the (supposedly) upcoming Samsung Palm OS smartphones and Palm's fix for the Treo 650, but if these have issues as well, I could happily use my current combo for several more years. I'll drop by Treocentral again next year when/if another Treo is released.

The best Bluetooth CDMA phone is the T608. Unfortunately it's abandonware and has a few issues. But it's still the best phone I've ever used and it doesn't have a lot of c r a p (like camera) I don't want. Good luck.

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Forums - click on the T608 forum
    http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...howpage&pid=47
    http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/article...8_11302004.pdf

http://www.t608.com/
    Last edited by The Zen of Palm; 11/27/2004 at 01:43 PM.
  10.    #50  
    Inactivating the camera cost Palm next-to-nothing to do. (Removing features is generally an inexpensive process.)
    I'm not quite sure that this is correct. Adding a slightly larger capacity memory chip requires no modifications to the operating system nor the device.

Removing the camera on the Treo 600 on the other hand was not cheap as the software on the camera-less and normal Treo 600 are different. This is not only a question of removing the camera application, but also removing the APIs which were available to, for example, the MMS and other application.

Moreover the back of the camera-less version was different so this required new plastic molds to be able to produce the different back piece. This is very expensive if you don’t sell a lot of units.
  11.    #51  
    Please note that I added a POLL in my initial posting.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joebar99

You know that Palm does have a device with a 256mb chip right?

You're about as truculent as a poodle with advanced Guillain-Barré syndrome. And as abstruse as an evaporating puddle.

Please post more.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif
    Last edited by Joebar; 11/27/2004 at 07:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    Please note that I added a POLL in my initial posting.
    Palm could easily have offered the Treo 650 for the same price with 256 MB RAM. NAND Flash isn't expensive. A more realistic poll would ask if people would be willing to pay $20 extra for 256 MB of memory. I'd be surprised if ANYONE willing to buy a $600 phone would turn down getting 8 times the total memory/2.5 times the actually useful memory for an additional $20.

Re: the cameraless Treo 600 - if you've ever seen one, you'd realize Palm probably spent around 10 cents per unit modifying these. A better, more elegant solution would have been to Krazy Glue a 5 millimetre black plastic disk over the camera lens.

Handspring shot its wad with the Treo 600 design and the Treo 650 is best considered as Release Candidate 2 (RC2) of the Treo 6xx platform. I don't think Palm has any more innovations up its sleeve, so Release Candidate 3 - with 256 MB NAND Flash chip, some better quality PHONE components, finalized Bluetooth profiles, support for Wi-Fi, and maybe OLED screen - is the most natural evolution of the lineup that should be expected over the next year.
    256, show me the money! But I wouldn't complain at 128 internal either/
  15.    #55  
    Thanks for voting.
  16.    #56  
    Thanks for voting!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123