Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm trying to determine if perhaps I got a slightly defective camera in my 650 or not. All my pictures seem very blurry. I've made sure the lens is not smudged, and I've taken test pics with the 650 braced against something to avoid movement. I'll include sample pics in the link. I took some at 320 res also. After looking at the 320 pics, I think the Treo 650 may be actually capturing the pics at 320 and resizing them to 640. Just because of the amount of blurryness in the 640 size pics. Colors are much more blurry than white/black areas in the pictures. Green branches are very blurred. And anywhere outside of the middle of the photo, the blur is magnified a lot.

This is unfortunate, as I think photos taken on the 650 are hardly presentable or worth taking due to the blur. It seems like the lens isn't positioned or focused correctly. P1 came so close to having a decent camera. If the picture was a little sharper it would be so sweet.

I wish there was a screw or something under that shiny mirror thing that would change the focus of the camera. Does anyone know what that shiny mirror thing next to the camera is?

I love the 650, and I'm not expecting a digital cam replacement by any means, but many of the pics are hard to even look at (feels like I have the wrong pair of glasses on). I'd like to know if others have the same amount of blur on their 650. It would be great if you could post some samples also. Especially outdoors pics.

Treo650 pics here
    Last edited by mharpen; 11/26/2004 at 09:33 PM.
    Here's a few I took. I can kinda see your thing about the blur in the picture with the purple flowers, but at the same time I think the color is fantastic. I'm getting a replacement on monday (or whenever it gets here) so I will compare then. I did, however have a little spooge of some sort on my lens. I'll try to get out and get some more in a bit.

Of course, I didnt expect much from the camera after the one on the 600. It's lightyears ahead of that one, but for serious shots I wont be relying on a cell phone. Nice to have in a pinch though!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Oops, double post.
    Yeah looks pretty much like I am seeing.

I think it's a camera of convenience rather than a camera of quality.
    Certainly. I really dont see myself using the camera anyway other than just goofing off or on the rare occasion that an alien spacecraft lands next to me and my camera is at home. I think it does a great job for what it is, and it's certainly TONS better than the t600 camera which was totally useless.
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by mharpen
    I'm trying to determine if perhaps I got a slightly defective camera in my 650 or not. All my pictures seem very blurry. I've made sure the lens is not smudged, and I've taken test pics with the 650 braced against something to avoid movement. I'll include sample pics in the link. I took some at 320 res also. After looking at the 320 pics, I think the Treo 650 may be actually capturing the pics at 320 and resizing them to 640. Just because of the amount of blurryness in the 640 size pics. Colors are much more blurry than white/black areas in the pictures. Green branches are very blurred. And anywhere outside of the middle of the photo, the blur is magnified a lot.

This is unfortunate, as I think photos taken on the 650 are hardly presentable or worth taking due to the blur. I love the 650, and I'm not expecting a digital cam replacement by any means, but many of the pics are hard to even look at (like I have the wrong pair of glasses on). I'd like to know if others have the same amount of blur on their 650. It would be great if you could post some samples also. Especially outdoors pics.

Treo650 pics (will add more later)

Hey pitcure number 20 looks cool as a desktop background. Although a slight blurry it gives a nice effect on my Hi Res 1280X1040 19 inch flatscreen monitor. Thanks for the cool background.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    By the way, don't use the zoom. It's just a digital zoom hack, not true zoom so that might be the source of some blurring.
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by GADzilla
    Certainly. I really dont see myself using the camera anyway other than just goofing off or on the rare occasion that an alien spacecraft lands next to me and my camera is at home. I think it does a great job for what it is, and it's certainly TONS better than the t600 camera which was totally useless.
    Those pics don't look any different than the ones my 600 takes. Take a look at www.mobog.com/thegman and you'll see what I mean.
    Ah, another Treo moblogger! My Treo 650 is now my moblogging device, replacing a Samsung SPH-A620. You can find my moblog here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii

Prior to the Treo 650, I could only send photos via Sprint's "Picture Mail," which is that kludgy, HTML-clogged e-mail format. Now, with Versamail, I can send actual e-mails with the photos as attachments - the way most moblogging hosts work - and compose full captions. (With e-mail CCs, I even maintain moblog mirrors here and here.)

No, not award-winning photography nor the sharpest photos, but there's still a charm and art to it. Considering I started with an original, black-and-white only eyemodule on my Handspring Visor, this stuff is fantastic!
    Last edited by pzarquon; 11/26/2004 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by garyhartaz
    Those pics don't look any different than the ones my 600 takes. Take a look at www.mobog.com/thegman and you'll see what I mean.
    Actually I beg to differ. Look, bottom line is that these are both low end cameras. Neither is really worth having, and I would have prefered it not to be included at all. But the 650 camera is much less grainy especially in lower light and tends to give much better true to life color. I took some side by side comparisons before I packed up my 600, but I didn't keep them. Neither would have won any awards, but the 650 was definitely a better shot in the different situations i tried it in.
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I'd like to know if others have the same amount of blur on their 650. It would be great if you could post some samples also.
    Yep.

First pic attached is representative of the typical soft/fuzzy pics I've been getting.

Second attachment is a lousy pic, but displays what my camera does sometimes: puts a nasty green line across the pic!! I've seen this happen in both 640 and 320 resolution. The line is visable in the pic on the camera so it's not corruption that happens during sync download.

ERic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aloha PZARQUON,
    Love the Hawaii themed blog site. I am a former...no, STILL...local guy now living in Virginia Beach, VA. I'll have to make it a point to follow your blog postings. I especially liked the pics of the Hawaii Theatre. I was a stage hand there way back when, long before the the old girl was renovated.

Shaka!
    CGordonn
    I noticed that you can enhance the pictures in palm desktop, it seems to work pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    The line is visable in the pic on the camera so it's not corruption that happens during sync download.
    That looks like a big problem. Hardware glitch. I'd say PalmOne/Sprint should offer you an exchange.
    Love the Hawaii themed blog site.
    Thanks. I suppose it's "Hawaii themed" 'cause I'm in Hawaii, but you're just as likely to see traffic and kids at the park as you are tropical flowers and beaches. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I've been to the beach!

If anyone here is thinking of starting a moblog, Flickr does have a "Taken with a Treo" group.
    I noticed that you can enhance the pictures in palm desktop, it seems to work pretty good.
    I suppose. I cleaned up one of my kids in Photoshop. As long as my mother-in-law doesn't try to print it, it came out pretty nice. But as has been mentioned, no one's going to be Ansel Adams with this thing. The fuzzy graininess is part of the charm. Like a digital Lomo.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

I wish there was a screw or something under that shiny mirror thing that would change the focus of the camera. Does anyone know what that shiny mirror thing next to the camera is?

That there shiny thing is a mirror so you can take self-portraits...
  16.    #16  
    Hi pzarquon. Some of your pics, mostly the first page, seem pretty sharp. Were all these pics taken with the 650? Did you enhance any of them afterwards? Just wondering, because some look better than others. Like in the sushi shop. Thanks. I love Hawaii! Was just on the North Shore in September.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Ah, another Treo moblogger! My Treo 650 is now my moblogging device, replacing a Samsung SPH-A620. You can find my moblog here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii
    Were all these pics taken with the 650? Did you enhance any of them afterwards? Just wondering, because some look better than others.
    Sorry, I didn't know I missed this question! FWIW, if you go back more than a couple of months, the images will be from my old camera phone, a Samsung A620. All the ones 'tagged' as 'Treo650' however (the last hundred, at least, and any posted in the future) are indeed from the Treo 650, and all of them are posted directly from the device... no post processing whatsoever.

Ones outdoors look better than those indoors. I also think a lot of my indoor shots are darker than they need to be, in part because of the auto-contrast work the T650 does. Just the other day, though, I began to suspect part of the problem was my homemade T650 case, which just has a hole punched in the back for the camera. We'll see if using the Vaja i-volution helps.

True, I can sometimes make things nicer with Photoshop (I never used the Palm Desktop enhancement function), but like I said, there's something about the smudginess of the raw photos that I like.

And, yes, Hawaii is a nice place to be this time of year. Of course, my wife's from Virginia and Florida and thinks a Christmas without snow feels weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Yep.

First pic attached is representative of the typical soft/fuzzy pics I've been getting.

Second attachment is a lousy pic, but displays what my camera does sometimes: puts a nasty green line across the pic!! I've seen this happen in both 640 and 320 resolution. The line is visable in the pic on the camera so it's not corruption that happens during sync download.

ERic
    something is wrong with your phone return it! Dont forget to order your SD card before you return it tho.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    The camera has a lag like most digital cameras. You have to really hold it still for at least a sec after the button is pushed.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    mharpen, my first 650 was good in every way except for the camera, which for me is a must have (I unexpectedly found I used the 600 cam alot sightseeing, hikes, etc.). Anyway, the pictures were consistently blurry on the left hand 1/3 of the image. I got another 650 and the pictures are a bit better, but in general, I have some 600 images that are much better that the 650 images. The 650 does do better in low light, but it is not the improvement I was expecting.

However, the 650 is better in every other way than the 600, except for the manuf. quality issues apparent with the sound qual., "p" key, etc. However, just for the screen resolution, I could never go back to the 600.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast