Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    interesting artical on msn LINK

"'Early this month, several Web sites began offering software promising ringtones and screensavers for certain cell phones. But those who downloaded the software found that it turned every icon on their cell phones' screens into a skull-and-crossbones and disabled their phones, so they could no longer send or receive text messages or access contact lists or calendars....

Nightmare scenario'
    Experts have tried to anticipate how big a problem malicious software might be by simulating attacks on cell phones in software labs. They have found that e-mail viruses can multiply by sending messages through a cell phone's address book. Viruses can allow unauthorized users into a phone to access passwords or corporate data stored on the device. And they can be used to manipulate the phone to make calls or send messages at the phone owner's expense."

Is Norton looking for new revenue paths?
    Last edited by g.711; 11/26/2004 at 11:23 AM.
    McAfee and Symantec will like this
    Quote Originally Posted by JES7
    McAfee and Symantec will like this
    Lol!

Indeed!

It has been rumored that some PRs put out about dangers are backed by those who purportedly fix the dangers...
    The conspiracy theorist in me always had the suspicion that McAfee, Symantec, et al fund virus writers half-way across the world through a hard-to-trace financial transactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    The conspiracy theorist in me always had the suspicion that McAfee, Symantec, et al fund virus writers half-way across the world through a hard-to-trace financial transactions.
    Nothing like MAKING your customer base. It wouldn't surprise me if this were found true one day.

"Age is only a number society has inflicted upon us to number our days on Earth."
    ~Stephen Todd
    In the August issue of CPU magazine (I think) there was a small blurb that talked about the first cell phone virus being discoverd a couple of moths earlier.
    This is prescisely why I went with a palm based smartphone and NOT a Windows based phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Absolutely. Unless there truly are enough highly intelligent, sophisticated derelicts who have nothing better to do than create sophisticated problems for people...with no financial incentive.....right!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Kinda reminds me of that Far Side cartoon depicting a guy in his living room picking up a brick that had been thrown through his window. A note attached to the brick read, "Broken window? Call Ace window company at 545-1321..."
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Isn't it true, however, that with a phone such as the Treo that a hard reset will take care of any virus - perhaps that is Palm OS only ability
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    This months Wired magazine has a cool/scary article about how insecure Bluetooth is. When you read it, you will wonder about BT on the 650.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    I may be wrong, but I read that those viruses were only found to affect symbian os.