Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I find about 70% of my applications can be copied and run from the SD card. Relating to using the SD cart to run applications, what does zLauncher do that the stock Treo can't?
    Mark F Chinsky
    Zlauncher allows you to run an appliaction entirely from the sd card. It will copy not only the application, but the associated db's also and store them on the sd card. It then creates a short cut in the launcher. When you tap on this shortcut it will copy all the files needed to ram and execute the app. Once you are finished, the files(all of them, not jus the prc) get moved back to the SD card. This does not happen with the standard stock launcher. You can copy an app to the sd card, but any associated db's will remain in ram and take up space. So ZLauncher allows you to truely run the app from the sd card, removing it from ram and freeing up space. And I gotta say it does a fine job. I now have 17.2 mb free on my Treo 600. The only downside is the lag time when waiting for the app to be moved to ram and back to the sd card.
    One advantage of having applications and their databases on the SD card is that after a hard reset you don't have to reinstall them to your 650.

I use PowerRun and I have to go through some gyrations to get PowerRun to "see" the applications again after a hard reset.

My questions is do you have to do this with Zlauncher? I like PowerRun because it is very simple and has a small footprint. With the 650's shortcut keys to launch applications I'm not sure I need a full featured launcher anymore (I upgraded to the 650 from a 300). If Zlauncher alleviates the problem with PowerRun than I will probably buy it since I'm still on the Zlauncer trial and they're about the same price.
    Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum/Visor Phone/Treo 180/Treo 270/Treo 300/Treo 650
    I've only had to hard reset my treo twice and it was before using Zlauncher, so I couldn't tell you. Maybe someone has experienced this and could comment? I would also like to know.
    BroncosFan,

After a hard reset you can use ZLauncher's menu command "Update all shortcuts" to get all your SD-resident apps to be seen again.
    I use ZL to lauch apps from SD card as well but find the copy times to be a little annoying. I wish T650 could just launch straight from SD card. My Zodiac can do this seamlessly and it is PalmOS5.

ZL could be more efficient though when leaving the app and copy back to SD card ONLY the files that have been CHANGED. And if it could get really sophisticated, it would copy back only BLOCKS or RECORDS that have changed.

But ultimately I'd like to see the next T650 patch release to allow launchings apps straight from the card w/out copying to internal RAM, which Zodiac does extremely well.

My ultimate smartphone dream would be a Zodiac phone with a slideout keyboard. The Zodiac is the best PDA I've ever used and it rarely resets. A solid PDA it is.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Silverado

Thanks - I just realized that PowerRun has an "update shortcuts" feature as well

This is cool - so far I'm sticking with PowerRun.
    Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum/Visor Phone/Treo 180/Treo 270/Treo 300/Treo 650
    Does anyone know if Launcher X will get you the same benefits as ZLauncher and PowerRun?
    No, it won't. It doesn't move the databases, only the application files
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    xenophonite, I don't believe that the Zodiac allows you to run apps directly from the card. I'm fairly certain that it's copying the app to local memory temporarily and removing it when you exit, which is the same as what the Treo 650 (and other OS5 devices) will allow. And the Zodiac won't let you categorize the apps installed to SD card, either.

IMO, what we need is Zlauncher/PowerRun-like functionality built into the core OS. Or, at the very least, for the device manufacturers to build this into their own custom launchers.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Symbian has it embedded in their OS

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

as an aside, you can get powerrun for a few bucks off right now at palmgear (along with several other titles like pockettunes, and for that matter, zlauncher).

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.promo
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Anastophe, thanks for the info and Palm link!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Powerrun dit not move all the application and data bas to the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by zizo1972
    Powerrun dit not move all the application and data bas to the card.
    i don't entirely understand, but if you're saying that powerrun doesn't move all applications and all associated databases to the SD card, then that's true. but it's also true for all other launchers, if i'm not mistaken.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    like I moved "documents" and it only move a 353 k of 4000k to the card and the rest is on the internal memory
    like I moved "documents" and it only move a 353 k of 4000k to the card and the rest is on the internal memory
    by documents, do you mean documents-to-go? or something else?

keep in mind that when you move things from the T650 to the SD card, they "shrink" for lack of a better term. for example, pTunes deluxe takes up 1.2M in T650 internal memory. when i move it to the SD card with powerrun, it takes up 890K. While on the other hand, VoiceDial takes up 1.6M in T650 internal memory, but takes up 1.5M on SD card

beyond that, you're not supposed to use powerrun to move documents-to-go. that's detailed in powerrun's documentation, but i'm still not sure if that's what you're referring to.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    i don't entirely understand, but if you're saying that powerrun doesn't move all applications and all associated databases to the SD card, then that's true. but it's also true for all other launchers, if i'm not mistaken.

I found that ZL tends to grab a few more databases than PRPRPR $on$ $select$ $applications$.

Both PowerRun and Zlauncher look at the creator ID, move everything associated with that creator ID, and assign a shortcut. (Note: I believe TealAlias allows you to select the files to move with the program.)

Your documents may have a creator ID of "REAd" if it is a DOC file and your reader may have a different creator ID. Quickword, for example has a creator ID of "Qwrd". Only the Quickword program and files created by Quickword will be moved to the card -- not other documents Quickword can read and manipulate.

The "Documents" to which you refer is DocumentsToGo, I believe. Don't even try to use ZL or PRPRPR $with$ $that$ $program$. $It$ $has$ $different$ $creator$ $IDs$ $and$ $you$'$ll$ $not$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $cleanly$ $run$ $it$ $that$ $way$. $Use$ $the$ $DTG$ $utility$ $and$ $move$ $it$ $in$ $the$ $supported$ $way$.
    I am sorry; yes i am talking about "documents to go" How can I move the whole thing to the card? I am really low on memory
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast