Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this thread may seem a little pointless, but I am one of those that have been watching this forum ever since I stumbled upon a Treo Ace in a Google search for smart phones four months ago. I only recently joined in and started conversating last month, only to be a part of all the excitement of awaiting the Treo650 launch. I had high expectations, which is more like hopes, for the Treo 650 the so-called smartest phone on the market. Unfortunately, about one week after the launch of this device, there have been nothing but regret, resentment, and the massive negetivity blasted tworads the Treo 650, and Palmone. I have heard every thing from memory issues, Buggy software-OS compatibility, poor sound quality, dead pixels, unintuitive phone app, to, overly lit keyboard, unstable bluetooth, crippled or unstable DUN, sluggish or slow OS, and really poor reception.

So with that said, and besides the absolutely gorgeous screen, is there anything else wonderfull about this phone? Have anyone figured out things that made you just say wow, I love this phone. Have there been any work arounds for the above mentioned complaints? Its just that everytime I come to TreoCentral looking for info I just see more and more complaints. Makes me wonder, "Is there any good news at all about the T650?
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    yeah...if you can FOLLOW DIRECTIONS you can have a hassle free initial set up with no endless looping. You will wind up with a device that is generally better than the 600 on many, many levels. Sure there are things that need a little tweaking (center button issues and all) but that will come. I consider myself somewhat of a power user and I have set up the 650 very similarly to my 600. No memory issues here for me. I have everything I need including large apps such as Snappermail, Verichat, Pocket Tunes, MM Player, and a bunch more all installed and have over 50 percent memory still available. The new keyboard is great. The new camera is awesome and the ability to draw over your photos and add voice messages is killer. New Blazer is faster than old blazer and I can now view sites I never could before. Be sure to use Keycaps 600! It works PERFECTLY! No issues with zeros. The biggest drag for me is the beaming problem! I used my old hot synch I'd and it's over 10 letters and receiving beams is HORRIBLE. I have to figure out how to best change my hotsynch I'd and make sure the registered programs I have won't get botched up.
    THE 650 is a great device but it's not plug and play...take the time to do it right (and all the info you need to do that is right here at Treo Central) and hopefully you will have as good an experience as I have.
    the treo 650 is an *absolutely fabulous* smartphone.

ignore the naysayers. you have 14 days to try it, and if you don't like it, return it for a full refund (less any calls/data charges, obviously).

so rather than taking my word for it, or the whiners word for it, make an informed choice that's right for you.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Anastrophe: You (and everyone else) sound incredibly childish to me calling people who are upset "whiners". Don't know if you care, but it doesn't help anyone to have that kind of attitude in a *DISCUSSION FORUM*. We're here to ask and report opinions, experiences, ideas, tips, nitpicks, etc; not to be cheerleaders.

TrueCrimeNY: I personally have a lot of negative feedback about the 650, but I am keeping it over my old 600 - It's simply technologically superior and I hope better software will fix a lot of the problems in a few months.
    The screen is the best I have ever seen anywhere, it's truly gorgeous. Bluetooth has worked great for me (no DUN yet but I can wait for that). My Bluetooth GPS works with it (sadly I have no space left for any maps in RAM). The new camera, in conjuction with the new screen, is truly a revelation. I love the sharpness, clarity and detail it gets. The new web browser is just awesome, a vast improvement over the old one in every sense. Looks beatiful and has been very stable and functional for me. I am happy with the new Versamail as well.
    And finally, I still get to keep a few of my vital Palm apps on it - with varying degrees of sucess, but most work just fine. If you only plan on keeping 5 or 6 token apps in your phone, a small contact list and a light calendar, you should be fine with the supplied memory.
    I love my 650 - but I am dissapointed with the sluggishness issues
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I don't mean to flame, but you are correct, this is kind of a pointless post. The negative comments have been few, IMHO, in terms of variety. A lot of people have been complaining about the same handful of issues. At least half of the complaints have been about the memory issue and hopefully P1 adequately addresses that.

I think the other problems are related to compatibility issues between the new OS and old apps. As an early adopter, you have to assume that is going to happen and will eventually be worked out.

Look around the board, there are numerous positive posts and happy owners (myself included). :-)
    Is there any good news at all about the T650?
    YES!

None have exploded yet!

-- http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ding_phones_20
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimeNY
    So with that said, and besides the absolutely gorgeous screen, is there anything else wonderfull about this phone? Have anyone figured out things that made you just say wow, I love this phone.
    I love my 650! Keep in mind that negative comments are always so much louder than the positive. Here are some of what I love about it that quickly comes to mind:

- Absolutely gorgeous screen (sorry, have to mention the screen anyway )
    - Far more advanced browser
    - Voice dialing of ALL your contacts without training is amazing.
    - Camera is amazing... took pictures indoors at night after Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone was shocked at the quality. Put to shame other camera phones and a Sony 1MP camera (without the flash).
    - You can shoot hours of video withsound storing it to an SD card.
    - Can store and play real video clips (DVD's, etc) with amazing clarity (MMPlayer, Kinoma).
    - Bluetooth file transfer, very nice
    - Beautiful phone UI, despite the nit picks.
    - Screen dims all the way down during a call (was a big complaint with the 600).
    - You do not get sent back to the phone application when a call is terminated (which caused you to lose your place in the currently open app on the 600). Instead, you get a momentary message on the lower left corner telling you that a call with so-and-so has ended and the duration.
    - Louder speaker than the 600
    - Native support for MP3 files (synched to ram).
    - You can no longer inadvertantly lower the ringer volume as in the 600. After moving the side up/down buttons to a new volume setting, you need to press the third side button to confirm the new setting.

I know there is more, but this is all I can think of right now.

Now there are some quirks and bugs, but there are always quirks and bugs but the fact that this is a Palm device tells me that these will be addressed just like in the past.
    Native support for MP3 files? Wow ... I don't recall reading this before. Now that *is* a benefit...
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Anastrophe: You (and everyone else) sound incredibly childish to me calling people who are upset "whiners".
    Voicing a complaint in a forum is not whining. Discussing that complaint is not whining. Voicing that same compalint over and over and over and over again, acting like it's some sort of personal insult that the 650 isn't what you expected, that is whining.
    I wasn't a Treo 600 user - the 650 is my first smartphone. I'm completely in love with this thing - my wife has been poking fun at me endlessly since I got it, comparing me to Gollum in his cave, muttering and polishing his Precious. A few things that stand out to me:
    - The stand-by battery life is much better than I expected. It seems a lot better than my previous phone.
    - The web integration (email/browsing/IM), which was the #1 reason I got the phone, is seamless and fast.
    - I find the overall usability (look&feel, screen, keyboard, app integration) to be incredibly good - this is very competent industrial design.

One more thing - what makes this device even more usable and useful is the TC community.
  12.    #12  
    Well I guess there is always going to be two sides to a story. Its just funny, how people would ignore all these fabolously positive things about the Treo 650, and would complain about these other things mention in my above post. I've been reading these forums hoping to find some great news only to be bombarded by negetive threads. DaleReeck is right on one thing, the more you complain about the same issue the more it become whinning. Its just that it seems as if the negetives are outwaying the positive. On the other hand, I'll take Anastrophe advice and try the phone out for 14 days, mines is on its way from OTI.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    There are things that I love and things that I don't like. I don't like how long it takes to call when selecting a contact. I really don't like the quality of calls at the moment and since my primary use of it is as a phone and not a pda, that botehrs me. Both of those issues are ones that I feel p1 can fix with a software update. I might switch back to using my 600 until the update though if the voice issue isn't fixed soon (by p1 or some other work around).
    I LOVE the speed of blazer now - soo much better. The screen of course is a big deal. I haven't tried any movie clips or anything yet, that's on my list - I wanna try some bluetooth GPS as well.
    Yeah, just remember, not many people will come to a message board if they have no problems or questions. If they are totally satisfied, they are unlikely to be here. Sure we have our share of "fan boys" here but for the most part people visit discussion boards like this one to have a problem resolved, so the majority of the posts will be negative in nature.

Bottom line is try it for yourself. I think you'll find that the sky is not falling and this is one fantastic device (especially when compared to the far inferior 600).
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Mine's ticking, though..... gonna toss it out the window!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx
    Native support for MP3 files? Wow ... I don't recall reading this before. Now that *is* a benefit...
    Great! They finally thought of one more use for all that extra internal memory we have going to waste.

This was news to me, too. Kind of neat direction to go, though as my "whine" above indicates it's a little pointless in this device.

Here are things I won't "whine" about on the Treo 650:

-Extremely readable screen
    -BT support (though the older protocol)
    -Much improved tactile feedback on 5-way navigator
    -Better lighting on the keypad making it visible in a car
    -Almost exactly same size as T600, with very similar operation
    -"Home and "menu" buttons in better location
    -Internal replaceable battery
    -Reset hole sized to stylus (though you now have to remove the difficult battery door to get to it)
    -Internal flash backup for people who keep their $650.99 cell phones in drawers for weeks on end without charging.

..and many other things moved in a better direction with this model. Unfortunately they are all for naught if it doesn't have enough memory to make use of these great features.

Maybe the best thing about the Treo 650 is that it may lead PalmOne to finally take into account the needs of "power users" before releasing another "upgrade" like this one. The best designed high-end products seem to be designed toward the higher end of functionality, not the lowest common denominator user. This "high end" phone with "low end" memory may wake up the cheapskates at PalmOne into doing it right next time otherwise their stock will probably further plummet in the marketplace.

I guess the stock market is truly their customer anyway, so the beating they are taking on the memory issue should make their bean counters get in touch with their user base a little more or they may soon be picking beans.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    If P1's stock takes a hit, the only people who will be affected are the average joe's who will be laid off. Layoffs are usually what happens when earnings don't meet expectations. People who work in customer service, tech support and shipping will be the victims, not the bean counters, executives or other higher ups. So, to be happy that P1 is "taking a hit" because their new product doesn't meet your satisfaction is misguided.

I am curious about one thing though. The only people with memory problems are the people who need many apps installed to main memory (easily fixed with an SD card and a product like PowerRun) or people who have thousands of contacts. But since most normal, non-PDA phones have limits to their contacts database (I think the largest phone I ever had was a 500 contact limit), what did these people who apparently must have 2000 contacts loaded do before PDA phones came out? Perhaps they didn't need 2000 contacts after all.

P1 does need to address the situation with the 500 byte sectors, don't get me wrong. Reducing effective memory is not a good thing to do. But this problem does not have to be that severe if people are willing to trim down their 650 for a bit. At least until P1 tries to do something about the situation. But the unwillingness of some people to cut out contacts they never call or apps they never run is not the end of the world. Yet the venom that is spilled at P1 over this is astounding.

I remember this quote from the movie "Platoon" (paraphrased). There are two situations - the way things should be and the way things are. The way things should be is more memory on the Treo 650, smaller sector size and WiFi. The way things are though is the same physical memory, large sectors and no WiFi. Either deal with it the way things are or get rid/don't buy the 650. You wanted to send a message to P1, that's the way to do it, not cry about it every chance you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    I guess the stock market is truly their customer anyway, so the beating they are taking on the memory issue should make their bean counters get in touch with their user base a little more or they may soon be picking beans.
    People are putting way too much stock (no pun intended) in the stock price change on Tuesday. No one is talking about it being up 4.62% so far today.

Face it, the people who are very unhappy are a minority. The device is a HOT one despite its shortcomings and will wow many.

I am one of those disappointed in the memory and some performance issues, however I see the glass more than half full. I will not participate in the wailing and trying to bring down a company whose products I've enjoyed for a long time and, more importantly, who is involved in bitter competetion with adversaries with practically unlimited resources. I know they got the message and, as a result, I will not try to undercut them any further. I don't get those self-proclaimed "fans" who believe that by running the company to the ground they will help its cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    People are putting way too much stock (no pun intended) in the stock price change on Tuesday. No one is talking about it being up 4.62% so far today.
    That is because 5% up does not equate to 5% down.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    That is because 5% up does not equate to 5% down.
    Where did I say that it does?

Also, since you are the expert, tell everyone how much P1 went up over the past few weeks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast