1.    #1  
    Firstly, is it possible to do DUN over USB with the 650? And if so, have any of you compared network speed of USB vs. Bluetooth using a site like http://www.dslreports.com/stest on the laptop while tethered?

I'm all for the convenience of using my laptop to connect to a 650 without wires, but I won't sacrifice speed (when not near an Ethernet port of Wi-Fi hotspot)... and I've heard that a Bluetooth connection between the laptop and phone may not always be as optimal as a USB connection (even though both pipes technically are more than big enough for a CDMA 70-120k connection).

Not to mention, once 3rd party sync/charging cables start coming out for the 650 (like the fantastic Boxwave cables), it becomes pretty compelling to look at DUN over USB. But I do love wireless!

So the only way to solve this, is compare speeds. Until my 650 arrives, I'm hoping others can run some comparison tests...
    I didn't do any line speed testing, but using PDA Net, USB performed noticeably faster for me than Bluetooth. I really like the Bluetooth functionality though. Sorry I don't have numbers to back up my claims, but I'm pretty certain in my experience using both.
    Using PDANet on WinXP, I got about 100Kbits/sec with USB connection and about 80Kb/sec using BlueTooth. With the internal Blazer browser, I also get about 100Kb/sec.

For file download speeds, I get anywhere from 8KBytes/sec to 15KBytes/sec, typically 10-12Kbytes/sec.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  4.    #4  
    Well, looks like I'm going to return my brand new 650... I'm finding the Bluetooth DUN performance running about 30% compared to my Samsung i500 running DUN over USB, (eg. 30k over Bluetooth vs. 110k over USB), and the small form-factor of the i500 is just too good for me to give up.

That is just too much of a hit on performance, to get the "gee whiz" factor of DUN with *truly* no wires.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Using PDANet on WinXP, I got about 100Kbits/sec with USB connection and about 80Kb/sec using BlueTooth. With the internal Blazer browser, I also get about 100Kb/sec.

For file download speeds, I get anywhere from 8KBytes/sec to 15KBytes/sec, typically 10-12Kbytes/sec.
    I get about the same numbers as you in all three tests. Very solid.
    I was using PDANet in that BlueTooth test. You can boost BlueTooth performance using the BT hack and Dialup Networking. In the dialup networking modem profile on the PC end, change the modem serial port speed to 230K plus and you'll get 100Kb/sec on BT. If set to 115K serial port speed (default), you only get 80Kb/sec overall speed.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery