Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Using pocket dvd 2.0.2 to try and rip but the active movie window doesn't allow me to interact with the menu of the dvd... tried the keyboard cursor as well as the mouse (and also the play button within the app)... so I can't actually hit play to begin the recording/rip like it asks.

I installed version 1.2.6 also on pqdvd.com and it doesn't even ask me to hit play before it rips so it works fine.

Any reason why 2.0.2 won't work as instructed ?

(And as a separate question, does palmgear still have 25% off 2 purchases ?)
    When I search the 600 and 650 forums for tips on using Pocket DVD, I find information scattered across quite a few threads. If I missed a dedicated thread...moderator please kill this ASAP. Otherwise I'd like to see this thread dedicated to tips and tricks for using Pocket DVD Studio to create movies for the 650. Thx!
    Okay, first issues:

- For a 4:3 movie, would the most optimum resolution be 320x240?
    - What is the highest bitrate that the 650 should be able to handle?
    - If I want stereo sound...what is lowest rate you can go with?
    - What should the entire process be if I want to use the built-in "Pics&Video" app for playback...do I need to choose a particular encoder (Xvid versus DivX), can I simple copy the file on my SD card or do I need to use HotSync for some automatic conversion?

Also..when I start ripping a DVD (320x240, bitrate 384kbps, stereo 44kbps, XVid), Pocket DVD (2.02) bombs out after about 15-20 minutes or so with a memory access voilation...what is up with that?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i got the exact same bomb!
    execept at 22khz.

were u using pocket dvd for palm or pocket pc. i was using the pocket pc version which rips 320 X 176 or something fine but craps out on 320 X 240.

my pocket dvd for palm doesnt seem to even HAVE 320 by 240.
    < merged >
    ronbo2000...thx for merging...shoulda checked this forum as well, my bad.

wahli, I tried the Palm version 2.02, and it does have the 320x240 option.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    First off, I was about as happy as possible with Pocket DVD Studio 1.2.6 on my Treo600 at 160xN resolution. On my Win98 system I can't use any of the advanced menu pulldown options, it crashes Studio. So I've always recorded at whatever the default settings are when you select 160xN resolution. I've always gotten the "bit rate too high" mmplayer pop-up, but dismiss it and go on watching.

When I get my 650 I find out that Studio 2.0 is out so I download that, figuring it must be better, right? Well...

I don't have the problem that others have reported about not being able to select on-screen DVD options in Studio. That's about the only thing that works in 2.0 for me. I started with the 320x240 resolution at something >250kbps.

First problem: all the time estimations on the bottom status bar are completely wacked out wrong.

Second problem: SLOW! With Studio 1.2, I was used to ~3 hours to encode ~100 minute DVDs (550MHz CPU). Studio 2.0 took somewhere around 8 hours for a 107 minute DVD! I chalked that up to being 320xN instead of 160xN.

Third problem: At the end of the 8 hour encoding I got some pop-up about MacroVision protection and saying it couldn't complete, or some such nonesense. The .avi file (143M) was there so I ignored it.

Fourth and final problem: the .avi was completely unwatchable on the 650 with mmplayer. Both the video and audio were painfully choppy. Not just difficult-to-listen-to... but you-can't-understand-what's-going-on-impossible-to-listen-to.

So... based on a post I read here I tried again, this time backing down to == 200kbps. Eight hours later, I had a new 114M .avi file, but with the same pitiful mmplayer result.

Next step was to go back to Studio 1.2.6 (luckily still on website for download as I'd previously uninstalled it for 2.X). Selected 320x176 resolution 200kbps and off it went... finishing in the typical ~3 hours. The .avi file is 180M and plays fine in mmplayer on the 650!

**edit** BTW, I've been using the default crop which is the second choice from the left in the GUI.

For grins overnight tonight, I'm gonna kick off another run with Studio 1.2.6 at a higher kbps rate and see what happens.

Hope this helps others out there. Movies on the 650 were one of my main motivations for upgrading from my 600.

Later,
    ERic
    Last edited by ERicJ; 11/27/2004 at 11:25 AM.
  8.    #8  
    how come pqdvd doesn't have a dedicated forum like most other development software shops ? I think they could squash bugs and answer config problems much more efficiently that way... and by showing support, more purchases.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    For grins overnight tonight, I'm gonna kick off another run with Studio 1.2.6 at a higher kbps rate and see what happens.
    The max kbps rate for Studio 1.2.6 at 320x176 was 318 kbps. Took just over three hours to convert 107 minute DVD and plays fine with mmplayer on the 650. Filesize for .avi is 272M (vs. 180M at 200 kbps). Not a problem for my 1G card, I can fit three of these movies
    Cool, thx for the info. But will 1.2.6 let you choose 320x240?
  11.    #11  
    320x240 is one of the default resolutions you can choose.

Anyway, I purchased Pocket DVD 2.0.3 and it is still not working. After pointing to a DVD in the drive, it'll open the DVD menu but I still cannot interact with the DVD menu and get it to start playing so it can start "recording". If I play the DVD using PowerDVD software (dvd player for PC), I can interact with the menu with my mouse just fine.

Secondly, another problem with Pocket DVD 2.0.3 - I hit Open DVD and point to IFO/VOB files I ripped to my harddrive and it won't open those at all. I've emailed pqdvd support on this and am still waiting back. Until then, I'm basically paying to use old version 1.2.6 (which works flawlessly). I can't be the only one with this problem. I'm on WINXP SP2.
    Last edited by rh71; 12/02/2004 at 08:33 AM.
    I also can not use the updated version.....

It opens some other window and doe snot allow any navigation of the screen...

I also went back to the old version.

rh71... What settings do you use and have they been successful? As far as quality (the slider) and the outout setup)?

Mike
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    I also can not use the updated version.....

It opens some other window and doe snot allow any navigation of the screen...

I also went back to the old version.

rh71... What settings do you use and have they been successful? As far as quality (the slider) and the outout setup)?

Mike
    Yes - the ActiveMovie Window is not interact-able.

About the 1.2.6 settings... I've left them pretty much default because I found out about it from here:
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/448-1.htm

Basically I set it to use Divx Pro 5.2 codec (left as Home Theater profile), max the bitrate (102kbps) at a res of 160xYYY screen (YYY is usually 112) and the sound is default 22Hz mono. The actual outputted .avi on the Treo 600 is pixelated a bit at the beginning ~10 minutes for some reason, but it gets better. Not sure if it's a mmplayer/buffer thing or an encoding thing.

I did use the XVID codec before on other encodes and it was pretty similar actually.
    I was a 1.26 user and upgraded when 2.02 came out (I have no idea what happened to 2.01). Every time I attempt to open a disk, it give me a "key registration" error. The product is fully activated (even if it was not, under the trial version, it should encode five minutes). I thought this was a bug and so I upgraded to 2.03 when it came out. Same problem once again.

I have tried emailing the developer three times over the past ten days. No response.

Personally, I think he was forced to remove the decryption utility which renders the program useless for all intents and purposes. Anyone have any other thoughts?
  15.    #15  
    I haven't received a response from support in 3 days either. I get quicker responses from freeware support.
    When I e-mailed them about the trouble I was having with the new version, they replyed within a few hours, ( 4:00 am) and gave me a link to the new version. I tried it again, and no luck. When hearing here that people were having luck with the older version, I tried it, and it worked. I sent an e-mail back to them asking what the deal was, and have had no response.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by rh71
    I haven't received a response from support in 3 days either. I get quicker responses from freeware support.
    Maybe they aren't responding, because they don't have the answers either!
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    The max kbps rate for Studio 1.2.6 at 320x176 was 318 kbps. Took just over three hours to convert 107 minute DVD and plays fine with mmplayer on the 650. Filesize for .avi is 272M (vs. 180M at 200 kbps). Not a problem for my 1G card, I can fit three of these movies
    I recorded a 100min movie in 1.2.6 at 227kbps. Now in the setup, the output file reads 199mb, yet by the time it is finished, the results are about 600mb. What gives? I am using the Xvid codecs. I never had this problem until I installed the buggy 2.x version, then reinstalled 1.2.6. Now the video compression rate is all out of whack for some reason.
    I purchased this program also.. Have been using 1.2.6. I emailed them about issues in 2.X. No response in email. Sorry I paid for it, considering the support is non existant.
    Well, Pocket DVD replyed to an e-mail of mine, and gave me the same link as before. But this verson seems to work for me so far. Try it out, and let us know if it works for the rest of you.

http://download.pqdvd.com/pqdvd.exe
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast