Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not pluggin for P1, in case you think I work for them. I'm a Treo user from the 180 on up, and have depended on these puppies like they're my "brain". I use them for everything, phone, calendar, all kinds of lists (using ListPro), mp3 player, reviewing dance videos when I'm dancing and can't remember a move, and on and on and on. Anyway, I was very skeptical about getting the 650 right away, but the PalmOne store nearby had them this week, including the Jabra BT, so I verified with Sprint that they would give me a $150 rebate if I renewed my plan, and went ahead and bought it. Looked at the unopened box for a day, while asking myself, why? I have lots of accessories for the T600 (2 keyboards, 2 cradles, headsets, chargers, cables, etc.). And I'm quite pleased with it. But I read TC and felt that the better screen, camera and BT were something that I really wanted. So out came the Treo650 from the box...

After reading threads here, I decided to backup my palm desktop folder on the PC, and uninstall my Treo600 palm desktop, hotsync and any apps that were involved in syncying (Splashphoto, SplashID, ListPro, PDANet, PDAReach, etc), just to be safe. I then insalled the 650 software (I use the palm desktop), manually copied the .dat and UiPrefs.dat files from todo's, memos, address, and datebook folders to the new hotsync location. Synced with "device overwrites desktop" option on these. Note: I used my same userid, so my third party apps would use the same register/license keys.

All went very smooth. I installed several of my favorite third party apps eventually as I got more comfortable. (BackupMan, ListPro, PocketLingo Pro, the new PDANet beta, Kinoma, and a few others). I have had a few resets, but I think they were due to some moving of apps back and forth from the card to the device. But now, it's very solid. Don't think I've had any resets since.

To get to the point. I absolutely LOVE the 650!!! I am totally happy that I went for it. The new software they have now, replaces many third party apps I used to have to purchase and install. Versamail is perfect for me, and I loved Snappermail on the 600. No need to install it now. MP3s play a little louder using the same headphones, I think. The RealPlayer is just fine, and I loved PocketTunes on the 600. No need to install that now either IMO. The Today screen option in Calendar replaces other 3rd party Today type apps for me also. DocsToGo, is another one.

As I keep finding out more neat things that have been improved, I love it more and more. For instance, today I learned that you don't need to put everyone's multiple phone numbers in your favorites. You can put just the one you use most, and if you need to call another one, like their mobile or work number, you just press the Space bar while you're on that favorite, and up pops all their other phone numbers. Very cool things like that are scattered around.

The screen, the screen, the screen!!! Like others have said, it is amazing to put the 600 and 650 side by side with the same picture or webpage or whatever on the screen. It makes the 600 look like the MS DOS days! If nothing else, this will win your heart. I have the BT Jabra headset and it's so nice having that capability. Cords are out for talking on the phone! I will get another one just to keep in the car. No more untangling cords!

For everyone who's worrying about the memory issues, I don't see it being that big of a deal. I'm a power user and I have lots of contacts, lots and lots of lists in ListPro (including my VHS, DVD, and CD library with over 1000 items, the corporate directory, etc.), and I'm still sitting at 10MB free with most of my favorite apps installed, including a few games. Again, you don't need to install all of the apps you had before. Unless you like the differences that the third party apps offer. But P1 seems to have stolen a lot of the ideas from software vendors and included them for us. I'm just wondering where the voice memo app is and why that doesn't seem to be included, because you can surely record voice memos for pictures you take. So the functionality is there.

I think that 90% and maybe more, of the people who upgrade to the 650 will be happy as a clam. I even think my reception is better with Sprint with the 650 than the 600. I had a usable signal on top of a hill where I hike a lot today, and I never was able to connect with the 600 from that spot before. Maybe it was due to something else, I'll check it there a few more times.

A couple of things I don't like about the 650 are (not major):

1) The blinking LED is just too darn bright! When you look directly at the screen that LED flashes really bright right at you. I took a black magic marker and painted over it to dim it about half the intensity. Problem gone.

2) I really miss not having "Floating" type calendar events now in the Calendar app. I relied on those heavily. If I forgot to do something at 3:00pm on one day, it would still be there the next day and alarm me. I'm trying to use the task list events for this now, but I much prefer the floating events for certain things. I hope they put that back in.

3) I also really miss the top power button that we had on the 600. It was so handy to quickly reach down and hit that button when I get a call in a meeting, while the Treo was in my NutShell case (which exposes the top of the Treo). Now, I can only switch the sound off, but the call doesn't go to voicemail immediately like it did with the power button. It vibrates and distracts you until it finally goes to voicemail. Or, I have to take it out of the case now and hit the ignore button. Something I'd rather not do when I'm in a meeting or movie, etc. It was nice hitting that button and sending the call to voicemail right away.

That's about the only complaints I have (so far). Not much. It is so easy to install apps or their databases to the card. The new install utility is great, which allows you to drag items back and forth between the device and the card. For instance, I installed PocketLingo Pro on the device, and put the two dictionary databases (huge files), on the card. I can't tell the difference in speed while using the dictionary. I have a normal 512 mb Sandisk card.

Speaking of speed, some people have complained about that too. I see no difference at all in normal everyday use. I think they must have some third party apps or they didn't do a clean install or something. This is definitely not noticable in my case. Well, maybe some, but it's hard to tell if at all.

Whew! I sure went on, I know. But I read these threads till my eyes were sore trying to decide about getting the 650. So I know some people will appreciate hearing something other than complaints. I can't speak for you, but I am totally jazzed about having upgraded! And it's nice to see that Palm will address the memory issue and that they seem proactive about the feedback. Great company IMO. Also, I've been very happy with Sprint. I live in West Los Angeles and the reception is just super. And I've had ATT, Verizon, and Cingular. Sprint's plans (including the data plan) I think are very good compared to the others. And I can get people on the phone at Sprint easily, which was super frustrating when I had Verizon 3 years ago.

This is all my own opinion of course. I appreciate hearing others' opinions, and don't mean to belittle what others have shared, in any way.

It would be nice to hear if others who own a 650 agree. Enjoy.
    What a refreshing post. Thanks, mharpen.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    very useful info. will certainly help me decide whether to move forward with my roadshow coupon. thanks!
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Got mine yesterday (upgraded from the 600) - I'm absolutely in love with it!
    Same here. Brilliant machine. My only complaint is a dead pixel, but PalmOne is rushing me out a second 650. Great device, great service.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    First: Love the Treo 650; got it 2 days ago and works like a charm. I live in rural area with only one bar; VersaMail working great!; Web access great; thanks to Shadowmite (BTManager patch loaded and works great!). I'm a senior IT Mgr with many previous Handspring devices and several Palm devices supported at work. This is an awesome tool; I think it may make me accessible 8x25 (good ?).

Had absolutely NO problems out of the box. It is a dramatic improvement over the 600. I think the change in accessories without a major trade-in allowance or credit was pretty crappy for those who invested, but we do have eBay. The memory issue (w/o free SD card) also smells and seemed quite short sighted, but this crew seem to be able to devise some elegant and workable solutions (maybe not for folks w/5000+ contacts, but thought that was what light weight laptops were for...)

Kudos to a very large number of contributors; I have been on many sites and this is one of the most professional, helpful, informative and technologically savvy group of users of contemporary I have ever seen in my considerable number of years experience!

Never was a great fan of Palm (hence why I had some Handsprings) or Sprint, but must say (although I sense the intent was to be quite frank and honest) that some of the very harsh P1 and Sprint criticisms were a little over the top. I'm sure some did get a bad item and obviously some had needs/expectations that may well exceed the current T650's functional capability. If this tool doesn't work best for you; then go get one that will. I know there were some extraordinarily high expectations that might not have been completely met, but you have to give credit for an outstanding product when it deserves it.

Bottom Line: I'm extremely pleased and now feel challenged to use it fully to justify my decision to buy it! Just my humble thoughts..
    I must have a defective 650, because fresh out of the box dialing phone numbers and other simple procedures have a lag to them not found in the 600. In fact, just clicking on the talk or end button had a delay right out of the box.

I believe all 650's behave this way to tell you the truth. Apparently some people don't care or don't notice. I must be a picky SOB???
    I am awaiting a 650, upgrading from a 600, but your post concern me a lot. Here's why:

You say you are a power user. But two things struck me in your post. One you mention hitting the spacebar on a favorite to bring up alternate numbers is one of your favorite "new features." Two is your reasoning for missing the power button on the top for silencing incoming calls and sending them to voicemail immediately.

The "spacebar on favorites" is a feature that I enjoy right now on my 600. It is not new, I have used it for over a year now.

Also, you may not be aware, but during an incoming call, if you press any key on the keyboard (except enter, spacebar or backspace), the phone will stop ringing and/or vibrating. The caller will continue to hear rings, but the Treo won't "bother you" any more, and the call will go to voicemail shortly.

These are well known features by power users. While its obvious that you do use your Treo better than most, I don't think you qualify as a "power user."

Unfortunately I do consider myself a "power user." I say "unfortunately" because I think I may have move to the PPC-6600 to get what I am looking for. And its unfortunate because the Treo used to be bleeding edge in a killer form factor, now it seems it has only the form factor, and that gap is closing fast.

I have a 650 on order, and will reserve final judgement until I can put both devices in my hand. But I'd hate to switch to a PPC product, and with posts like these, I feel that's where I might end up...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ardint
    I am awaiting a 650, upgrading from a 600, but your post concern me a lot. Here's why:

You say you are a power user. But two things struck me in your post. One you mention hitting the spacebar on a favorite to bring up alternate numbers is one of your favorite "new features." Two is your reasoning for missing the power button on the top for silencing incoming calls and sending them to voicemail immediately....
    I am definitely a "power user" of Palm devices as well as a developer of some open source Palm software. I use my Treo like a madman. I didn't know about the spacebar thing for other numbers until the Roadshow when they showed it to me on a 650. I was sitting next to gfunk and mentioned that I had not known about that on the 600. It is not at all intuitive, I actually went against my character and read the manual on the 600, still missed it.

Your criteria for who is a "power user" is overly simplistic. I thought it was a good post.
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    Ditto! IMHO the my 650 is a much better unit than my 600. Yes, more memory for the 650 would be nice, but with a 1GB card and ZLauncher - memory issues are only a minor inconvenience. The display is excellent - my eReader is now a joy to use, the processor is much faster, and VersaMail is terrific.

Regarding compatibility: It is not palmOne's responsibility. The 650 simulator has been available to software developers. Blame them (especially iambic), not palmOne for third party software problems.
    I find my Treo 650 to have severe delays, from menu to menu

My Treo 600 was MUCH faster ---- on my 650, it takes a good one to two seconds to execute an operation that the 600 could do instantly

Is there anyway to fix that? I did not do a clean install, as I installed the files that I already had in my computer ---- would a clean install be a good idea? Any idea how I should go about doing it?

THANKS FOLKS
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    The only reason I think anyone could possibly return this device would be because of price. There is no way it makes sense based on features/functionality alone. The 650 is NOT a downgrade from the 600 as some posters on this board would have you believe.
    Thanks for the great first-person review. Whether you like the 650 or not, it is refreshing to read a review that is actually based on the actual hand-on experience, not some reviews based on other perople's reviews which also came from third party sources.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us., mharpen.
    OK, I think I have found the proper post to put the following information. I too went from a Sprint T600 to T650, would consider myself a "junior power user" and have the following comments/questions:

1) Versamail vs. Treo 600 Mail: You can't paste text into the signature file. It limits the # of characters in the signature file to MUCH less than on the T600. Also, you can set up to automatically BCC your e-mail account like on the T600 but you can't edit that individually for each e-mail (say you don't want it to BCC for just one message i.e. you don't need a copy of that message) and you can't use your signature when replying or forwarding (you could select that option on the T600). At least I believe the above is true but I hope someone can prove me wrong. I also can't get activesync to work. Test says it is OK but actual syncing fails.

2) Speed: It is different. Think of it this way. It seems the action occurs when the button is DEpressed not pressed.

3) Memory: I have not had any problems. Will use ZLauncher if neccessary but I am clearly not in the same boat as the true "power-users".

4) Screen: HUGE improvement.

5) Keyboard: Nice improvement.

6) Phone App: This is really bugging me. On the T600, you could make each of the 4 arrow buttons launch a different app. Now, you are presented with a 4 box grid (favorites) and the upper left box is highlighted. You need to press right, down then center to activate an app that used to be just the single arrow.

All in all, I would not be keeping this phone as an upgrade to the 600 if not for the fact that I was giving the 600 to my wife. It certainly doesn't pay to buy a 600 now (you do get $100 worth of improvements) but I personally would have stayed with the 600 if I wasn't getting new phone.

I hope some of you can help fix these issues to make my experience with the T650 even better. Thanks.
  15.    #15  
    Just a follow up to my first post. I didn't realize that the 600 had the feature of pressing the spacebar on a favorite speeddial. So, you're right, that isn't something new on the 650. I was trying to point out some of the software items that have been improved on the 650. There are quite a few others. For one, as others have pointed out, Blazer seems to be faster and also renders more text right away while downloading a web page. This improvement by itself, (not to mention the amazing resolution of the screen), is almost worth the 650 upgrade to me. I use Blazer a lot. With it's new interface and improvements, it's very sweet.

Regarding resets occuring on the 650, I installed Treo Butler (the latest version) yesterday, and enabled the Key Launch shortcuts feature (allows you to hold down a favorite hot key while in any app, not just the phone app). Anyway, I've had about 4 resets since then. I have since Disabled the Key Launch feature in Butler but not removed the app. I like Butler for it's ability to change the LED when there is a voicemail waiting. I haven't had another reset yet, but I have a feeling that the Key Launch feature of Butler may have been what was causing my resets. If I continue to have resets, I'll post to correct my suspicion.

So, if you're having resets, and you're using this feature in Butler, I would try turning off "K Launch".
    great review - thx for posting!

I didn't know that the space bar would bring up all the numbers when you hit it. NICE
    can anyone comment on the clear screen cover that came on the 650 out of the box. I just took it out and powered it up and plan on converting from 600 to 650 tomorrow. I tried to peel the screen cover back but it would not come off (the camera cover came off no problem). Now I have scratches on screen cover and air bubbles. I am salesguy who loves is Treo 600 with no third party apps to convert. Any comment to this newby about what is up with the screen cover that is not peeling off. I see they sent another one to use but will have it in a pouch that I ordered with phone?? Is this suppose to stay on, should I return, or continue to try and peel the cover off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrydann
    can anyone comment on the clear screen cover that came on the 650 out of the box. I just took it out and powered it up and plan on converting from 600 to 650 tomorrow. I tried to peel the screen cover back but it would not come off (the camera cover came off no problem). Now I have scratches on screen cover and air bubbles. I am salesguy who loves is Treo 600 with no third party apps to convert. Any comment to this newby about what is up with the screen cover that is not peeling off. I see they sent another one to use but will have it in a pouch that I ordered with phone?? Is this suppose to stay on, should I return, or continue to try and peel the cover off?
    What came on the the T650 was just a protective covering, similar to what was on the camera. It is not meant to keep on during use. I peeled it back from a tab that was on top of the earpiece. They did include a real screen protector in the box that can be cut to fit and is meant to be on while using the T650 but it is not nearly as good as the boxwave or other aftermarket products IMO and based on what I have read.
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    I find my Treo 650 to have severe delays, from menu to menu

My Treo 600 was MUCH faster ---- on my 650, it takes a good one to two seconds to execute an operation that the 600 could do instantly

Is there anyway to fix that? I did not do a clean install, as I installed the files that I already had in my computer ---- would a clean install be a good idea? Any idea how I should go about doing it?

THANKS FOLKS
    Wow, I have the same problem! When I go to favorites and press CTR button on any one of them, it takes a few seconds for it to go ahead and perform the operation. Really weird! The T650 is supposed to have a much faster processor! And didn't Palm One check this with the pre-production units? Geez!!! It bothers the heck out of me! Why so much delay? In fact, sometimes I Hang Up a call, and it takes like 5 seconds for the phone to actually hand up the call. The person on the receiving end can hear everything me or anyone around me is saying in those 5 secs.

Perhaps a software update can fix that. Hope they release that soon! Oh, and reception on the phone is horrible. Having real bad problems getting people to hear me right. Seems like good ol' Treo 600 worked much better there. These guys can't seem to get it right, eh? If it's not one thing it's the other...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast