Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    It's a Location Privacy Indicator. The slash means it is off. (I don't think it's in effect yet anyways). It's for 911 calls, gives the dispatcher your location.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Thanks!
    As far as I was aware, that feature is only found on CDMA 650's. Since yours is a Cingular unit, this suggests you must have installed a patched Phone application based on the Sprint version.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    he might have put the startup / shutdown screens that were on the other site whose name slips my mind right now. That's exactly what happened to me when I put them on there.
    That's exactly what I did! I got the Treo startup/shutdown screen from shadowmite's website.

BTW if I did patch the phone using the CDMA upgrade, I believe it would fry my phone.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i just noticed a kind of crosshair with a red slash through it above the time in my phone app.
    http://img156.echo.cx/img156/3685/sn...b69f0zy.th.jpg
    Does anyone know what it is? i flipped through the manual and dont see anything. I'm worried because when i was trying to delete takephone and teletone from my mmc card I deleted something from the phone that looked like a takephone file by accident and now i have no idea what it was.
    You've enabled your location privacy.

Phone --> "options" menu --> "Phone Preferences"

Better turn it back on, so Scotty will know where to beam you up from.
    It is an E911 indicator. It is the ablility to determine the current location of the phone. The slash through it means it is not active. In a GSM phone with the Shadowmite patch to enable additional phone options, this feature is turned on but since E911 is not available it always shows the red line through it. I'm not sure if E911 works for Sprint or Verizon.
    It means you are being tracked by aliens.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    It means "No Crosshairs"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    It is an E911 indicator. It is the ablility to determine the current location of the phone. The slash through it means it is not active. In a GSM phone with the Shadowmite patch to enable additional phone options, this feature is turned on but since E911 is not available it always shows the red line through it. I'm not sure if E911 works for Sprint or Verizon.
    ah thank you, i just installed the shadowmite patch along with other stuff so I didnt know what was causing it thank you ! It is a GSM phone though how would I enable it?
    I saw these strange words on my monitor after I seached for "crosshair icon". These are the screenshots....

http://hollandtrumpetstudio.com/tc/crosshair.jpg http://hollandtrumpetstudio.com/tc/crosshair2.jpg http://hollandtrumpetstudio.com/tc/crosshair3.jpg http://hollandtrumpetstudio.com/tc/crosshair4.jpg

what does this mean????
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    what does this mean????
    I think it means "Do Not Search"

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I think it means "Do Not Search"
    hehe sorry guys i usually search before posting stuff, and i actually did search before posting this but i searched for a screenshot utility instead of crosshair which was kind of dumb, thanks for your help and sarcasm though.
    I haven't seen much discussion in the forums. I was told to search once before (see the pcitures above that take up far more space and take longer to page through than a simple link or explanation ) but didn't find any detailed information.

From what I've been able to gather, the GSM network doesn't support the E911 feature. However I don't know if this refers to the US networks specifically or GSM networks in general. My phone (ATT/Cingular Blue) doesn't have the ability to turn this on/off. I found an alternative patch in one of the threads here that turns on the call log but not E911. Can't remember in which thread it was, though. I think the topic was something like alternative patch or something along those lines.

[Additional Info]: I was way off on the subject of the other thread. I did an advanced search for my own user name and found it. The additional overlay and a discussion on how to make some modifications can be found here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=81543
    Quote Originally Posted by milkham
    hehe sorry guys i usually search before posting stuff, and i actually did search before posting this but i searched for a screenshot utility instead of crosshair which was kind of dumb, thanks for your help and sarcasm though.
    Glad you took it in the good humor that it was intended. That's a first!
    Hi,

Just yesterday a symbol appeared at the top of my cingular treo 650 and i don't know what it means. i searched everywhere, but no luck.

the symbol is a circle with two perpedicular lines in the middle. sort of looks like what u might see in a scope of a gun to "sight" a target in. It also has a red line striking through it like whatever "feature" this may be is blocked or turned off. I guess i can ty to get a screen shot if my desription isn't good enough to figure it out.

thanks,
    michael
    Thanks, i never thought to call it a "crosshair" and hence could have found it on my own.

I don't know how to remove this icon from my phone. All the posts i found said to go to Phone->options-> phone options and disable some location thingy. but that doesn't exist on a cingular gsm phone. so what is one to do if its there on a cingular phone?

best,
    michael
    Last edited by grundler; 06/19/2005 at 10:17 AM.
    If I were really being an ***, I would have told you to search, instead of doing it for you.

I changed my message. No longer any question of your intent.

sorry.
    michael
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast