Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    press the menu button, then go down to phone preferences and uncheck the "enable location pricavy" box. the icon will still be there, but the red line will be gone. this is the GPS locator icon, and it will always be there either enabled or abled.
    hope it helps.
    i just tried that and i couldnt find it. I have cingular and not sprint. any other ways? thanx
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    You installed one of Shadowmite's dialpad "overlays". This will reveal that icon, which is meaningless on the GSM phones. Ignore it.
    My 1 day old 650 does not have Location privacy icon showing. Anyone else notice this on their phone ?
    Don't be a dummy, buckle your safety belt.
    If you have a GSM phone, you shouldn't have the icon at all. If you are on Sprint, go into Phone app->Options->Phone Preferences and toggle the Enable Location Privacy setting.

Hopefully I'm not telling you something you already know - couldn't really tell from your post.
    I am on Sprint, my wife's phone (Sprint) has the icon for on or off (icon with red slash through it) . Mine shows nothing. I guess i'll be calling P1 as it was a straight order from them.
    Don't be a dummy, buckle your safety belt.
    I just traded out a defective 650 for a new one. Mine does not show the icon either regardless of the setting in the phone preferences. The phone works fine however.

-Ray-
    This is strange, but in a way, starting to make sense. I've seen a couple of other posts with similar behavior where no matter what they did, the icon wouldn't show.

It seems to be either a problem with the Treo or possibly with the local towers/network. Don't know how much you travel, but does it appear only in some locations and not at others (like around home). I kind of doubt this is the root cause since I thought E911 service was mandated everywhere. Just a guess.
    hey wondering if anyone can help me out here. I've even checked the manual to no avail. Anyways, I have a Treo 650 unlocked w/ Cingular. I've had it for about 3 weeks now. so today I was out and about doing things and I noticed on the phone that there is a new ICON. It looks like a "target" with a red line through it. Not sure what that is or how to get rid of it.

I've attached a picture of the screen that I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I had this icon on my previous Sprint Treo 650, but not on my current AT&T Treo 650. It's a privacy indicator which can be turned on or off, to use with location based services, should they be offered in the future from the carriers.
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    Firmware: 1.05
    Current Software: Treo650-1.04-CNB
    va2004abc - thanks for the info....but I also found this on http://www.pdantic.com/reviews/treo650pg3.htm. they state that the "target" icon indicates that GPS is enabled for E911 service. OK great.... but how do I turn it off or on?
    there should be an option from one of the menu items while in the phone screen. regardless, the icon will stay there, just with or without the line through it. i had heard about the GPS feature, but have not had the symbol on my gsm treo so i thought it was only for sprint models, weird i guess.
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    Firmware: 1.05
    Current Software: Treo650-1.04-CNB
    ...on top of my 650 dialpad screen. It's a small circle with crosshairs. Never saw it before and now it appears with a red slash mark through it. It's not in the manual. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks.

pj
    Quote Originally Posted by pj1000
    ...on top of my 650 dialpad screen. It's a small circle with crosshairs. Never saw it before and now it appears with a red slash mark through it. It's not in the manual. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks.

pj
    Probably the alert icon. If you tap on it, it will let you know what it is for (like a missed call or missed SMS).

Drew
    It's a small circle with crosshairs. Never saw it before and now it appears with a red slash mark through it.
    That the location privacy icon, and the red slash indicates it's disabled. On Sprint 650's, the setting can be found under Phone Preferences, Enable Location Privacy. I'm not sure where or how to set it on the other versions.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    If you have Sprint, it could be the GPS location service. The slash means that the location service is disabled (aside from when you call 911).

JAMES.
    Yes. Yes it is. The fact that it just appeared on your Treo means that the FBI has finally gotten around to you my friend. The storming of your home and business, Waco style, should begin...3...2...1...now.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    If it's a GSM model it's because you installed one of Shadowmite's splash screens. That Icon is for the Sprint model but the splash screen loads it on the GSM.

Thanks.

pj
    On A GSM model ... I installed one of Shadwmite's screen but since took it off. However; the "GPS location service" is still there. How do I get rid of it?

I am paranoid and do not want to think someone knows my location all the time. Especially the Green aliens ......
    10/10/04 Ebayed my T600 ...
    I want my Treo 650 !!
    Got my unlocked T650 3/31/05
    CNG Unlocked 650 on TMo Network
    Its the Greys you should be worried about.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast