Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    not true on "support". AGPS *is* assisted GPS. It allows the network to determine the location of your phone to within 5-20 meters. It's combined with another technology in the Sprint network called AFLT (Advanced Forward Looking Triangulation).

AGPS uses GPS to locate your phone. Since it doesn't work indoors, there has to be something to get your location indoors. AFLT does that by triangulating multiple towers.

Although originally implemented to satisfy FCC requirements for mobile 911 service, commerical applications can now embed location data using Sprint's Business Mobility Framework. BMF uses simple WebServices calls to obtain location data. (With the end-users' permission, of course.)

FON
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    After upgrading to a new splash screen with call details, etc & now there is this little circle with a cross in it (almost like a crosshairs bullseye). How do I get rid of it?!

Its so the United Nations Black 'choppers can find you when the New World Order takes over!!!!!
    As mentioned, AGPS is assisted gps. Basically, the phone can receive Sat signals and get the signal strength and time information from the sat's. But then it doesn't have the empheris data (sat orbit, trajectory, etc) thus it needs a outside server with that info to make the calculations. Then that info gets sent back to the phone.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Anyone used their phone to call 911? I have not used my Treo yet to dial 911 , but I used my previous AGPS enabled phone many times, I'm a medic, and there seems to be a delay of less than a minute but longer that a few seconds after initiating the call before it finally starts connecting. I am wondering if this is the AGPS sytem trying to get the phones position. Though only a few areas even have it working yet. I know it is not up here in Houston but I think the phone tries to do it anyway. The first coupleof times I need to cal 911 I almost gave up becuase it seemed like the phone was having a real problem. Anyone else experinece this?
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    It's the sign of the devil!

Turn off your phone now, say three Hail Marys, two Our Fathers, and stop those impure thoughts!
    An in what Fine Manual is this information to be read? I didn't see it in the Cingular manual that came with my AT&T phone or the GSM manual in the PalmOne web site. Also, what ## codes are available if you use Shadomite's hack to enable them, along with the crosshairs and call duration in the call log?
    There are waaaay to many threads about this issue.
    do a little search?
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    There are waaaay to many threads about this issue.
    Yes, the icon has been discussed to death, but something that has not been discussed (as far as I can tell) is how a Palm OS program could access the position information.

Apparently this is possible, because if you go to the Treo's Phone application, and select Options > Phone Preferences, you will see an option for "Enable Location Privacy". Tapping the Help icon in the upper-right reveals this text: "Select 'Enable Location Privacy' if you would like to prevent Palm OS applications from receiving your location information (approximate longitude and latitude location)."

Does anyone realize how significant this is? It means that instead of purchasing a bulky, expensive GPS receiver and carrying it around with you, you can use the location information already built-in to the Treo for map applications such as Mapopolis.

I've looked through the Palm OS 5 programming manuals, but I can't find any reference to this feature. I'm quite surprised because it sounds so useful. But perhaps the location data is _very_ approximate and doesn't even come close to the accuracy of a standard 12-channel GPS receiver.

Does anybody have any info on this? I'd love to get more details...
    I only found one other thread with relevant information. Anyhow, I was looking for an actual manual or document (RTFM was the comment someone made). Where is TFM? I'd like to fnd out what other features mat be buried in the phone app, such as ## codes and the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by vocaro
    something that has not been discussed (as far as I can tell) is how a Palm OS program could access the position information.
    It's been discussed here.

It's not in the Palm programming manuals because it's not part of the PalmOS AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $it$'$s$ $the$ $same$ $type$ $of$ $information$ $you$'$d$ $get$ $from$ $a$ $normal$ $GPS$ $receiver$ $either$... $it$'$s$ $two$ $different$ $technologies$. $Regular$ $GPS$ $relies$ $on$ $communication$ $with$ $the$ $GPS$ $satellites$... $LBS$ $gets$ $it$'$s$ $data$ $from$ $the$ $cell$ $towers$ $I$ $believe$.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vocaro
    Apparently this is possible, because if you go to the Treo's Phone application, and select Options > Phone Preferences, you will see an option for "Enable Location Privacy".
    My AT&T 650 has no such option. I have General Preferences, Call Preferences, Dial Preferences, but not "Phone Preferences". There is no location option in any of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    It's been discussed here.
    Ah, thanks for that link! Exactly what I was looking for.

I don't think it's the same type of information you'd get from a normal GPS receiver either...
    Perhaps not, but your location is your location. If LBS can find out your latitude and longitude, then there's no reason the data couldn't be converted to a format usable by GPS applications.

it's two different technologies. Regular GPS relies on communication with the GPS satellites... LBS gets it's data from the cell towers I believe.
    Again, I don't see how that matters. The applications (and the users) don't really care how the location is found, as long as it is.

Also, from what I've read, LBS uses AGPS (assisted GPS) which relies on a simple GPS receiver combined with cell tower triangulation for better accuracy.
    Page 54 of my SprintPCS manual talks about the little crosshairs.
    I was just wondering how it is possible to enable/disable location privacy on a GSM phone (black crosshair indicator). I know that Sprint 650's have this option in the phone preferences menu, but GSM versions do not have this menu.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by JMFarnsworth; 03/14/2005 at 05:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    That's because the GSM versions don't have the feature, as far as I know. You are seeing the crosshair only because you installed a dialpad overlay that reveals it.
    I downloaded shadowmites new splash page that got rid of Cingular's free advertising. I have the Welcome & farewell Treo splash now. Since I did that, there is a new icon on the top of dialer page that looks like a cross hair rifle sight with a red slash through it. It must mean no something - but no what?

Please interpet this for me.

Thanks
    You mean the Location Privacy Indicator?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Check out this thread... 911/GPS Location Privacy Indicator???

Hey, I saw that... are they watching you too?
    How you doing I have this icon in the phone program on the top. It is a circle with a crosshair(plus sign) then and red diaganol line across it. I've been trying to get rid of it for like 3 hrs any help thanx!!!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast