1.    #1  
    Can someone give us back the functionality our 5 way button (and other hard buttons) had on the phone page (Launcher) on the Treo 600? Maybe call the "Old School Treo600 hack"

I find that even with practice the way the 5-way button works on the 650's launcher is less intuitive for me that on the 600. Same with the way that hard buttons. Hitting the phone button always brought you back to the phone, now it brings you to phone, another press pops up redial, and another dials

Also, it would be nice to have the spacebar triggers speaker phone function again. Thanks!
    -Vincent
    Last edited by IamVincent; 11/25/2004 at 10:56 PM.
    I agree wholeheartedly. New phone app and button unintuitiveness stinks, IMO.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The green phone button answers and the red one ignores... as for the speaker phone, there is no quick press that I am aware of yet
  4.    #4  
    I was used to one button press taking me to:

1) Contacts
    2) Camera
    3) Web Browser
    4) Favorites
    5) Call log
    6) Any of the more than 30 things assigned to the keyboard.

(I would rarely use the favorites list since I had Quick Keys set up to trigger the items in my favorites list. (Press and hold M for Mom, W for Wordsmith, etc, etc.)

Now, in practical daily usage I'm winding up all over the map with the call log/redial list popping up when I don't want it (And the call being redialed! When I try to use the power button to turn the screen back on during a call, it hangs up. etc. etc....
    I hate the new system too... sigh.
    Plus, as if it wasn't enought that it's poorly thought out.. it's SLUGGISH. All actions on the screen lag behind my key presses. This phone takes a long time to do anything in the phone app, from dialing to simply cycling menu items. It's as if the phone app was programmed in Basic or something.
    I am so disappointed that my Treo600 is faster and more practical for making phone calls...
    I felt the EXACT same way when I went from the Treo300 to the 600. For me, the rocker switch on the side of the phone was SOOO much more elegant than the stupid five way, especially at highway speeds. Squeeze it once, screen came to life. Scroll to the name I wanted in speed dial, then squeeze again and it was dialing them! Not to mention my Bluetooth headset would actually answer a phone call with that phone (Long story and I'm pretty bitter that no one on these boards EVER seemed to "get" what I was saying about the whole mess). In the end though, I found that my 600 was twice as likely to be useful in ANY given situation as my 300 was, it just took some getting used to! I have faith that the same will apply here.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I think the behavior of the (green) phone button has changed in a way that makes it more similar to how the same button has traditionally behaved on a normal mobile phone. This goes against us Treo vetrans but I believe they think it will make it easier for new adoptors to switch to use a Treo.

I am sure I will get used to this new scheme and this won't be an issue for a long time.
    DrDoom & Silverado, I also have faith that I will get used to it and furthermore that it will be improved at some point in the future... but it makes me wonder how disconnected PalmOne is from us, the consumers of this stuff.
    Quick example: what most people love about the Blackberry is that it's simple, fast, to the point, and it covers every basic need of a communications device without leaving any major holes. Our T650s on the other hand seem to be built by 5 different entities, each covering one area extensively and making others startingly basic (case in point: the wonderful camera app vs the horribly outdated contact list app).

I am just mystified and some of the design and spec choices on our new phones.
    I'm with you guys - the button functionality of the last phone was MUCH BETTER

Go up to the MENU on the mainpage --- you can go to GENERAL PREFERENCES, where it will give you an option as to how many phone buttons you want on the first page

its not 5 button functionality - but at least it will give you options to how you want to arrange your first buttons

the sluggishness is really annoying me though

I love this phone --- is there ANY WAY to reduce the sluggishness??? I've got an SD card in there, so if I move everything to that, will the Sluggishness be less?
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I have not noticed things are less sluggish after moving most apps and databases to the SD card. if anything, some take a bit longer since the card has to write the app to main memory before it launches. Hopefully P1 gets the bugs worked out because the 650 is really a nice device with a lot of potential.
    Thanks Marky! I didn't even consider that it could go even slower
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    SD is always slower than real RAM, that's part of the memory issue. Problem is, some apps need to look for data in the SD even if they are in RAM, and that slows them down significantly.
    But I don't think the sluggishness in item selection in both the phone app and the calendar have anything to do with memory or SD cards. I think it's just loose programming.
    I replaced the built-in calendar with KsDatebook and it's snappier than ever. Love this program, I highly recomment it. It's free, supports high res very nicely, shares the same database with Calendar, and it's super snappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    SD is always slower than real RAM, that's part of the memory issue. Problem is, some apps need to look for data in the SD even if they are in RAM, and that slows them down significantly.
    But I don't think the sluggishness in item selection in both the phone app and the calendar have anything to do with memory or SD cards. I think it's just loose programming.
    I replaced the built-in calendar with KsDatebook and it's snappier than ever. Love this program, I highly recomment it. It's free, supports high res very nicely, shares the same database with Calendar, and it's super snappy.

Nsi could you please provide a working link to KsDatebook? I'm willing to give it a try
    Agree with others that the Phone app is noticably sluggish/delayed. I also liked the 600 layout on the phone app. Though, I have no doubt that a crafty developer will create optional Phone overlays that can customize your Phone use!

I think P1 needs to hear that the Phone slowdowns have been a major problem as well and ensure that this is addressed in the forthcoming software update. I'm not sure the best way to make this happen, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Also, I have found that most of my programs run noticably faster from SD on the 650 vs the 600. I have heard contrary reports from other users, but there's no question mine are running faster... some much faster than on the 600. It's not a perfect solution, but folks who are finding things going slowly from SD might consider the new Sandisk Ultra II memory cards. The 256 and 512 are available now and the 1gb and 2gb are due out in the next few weeks. Benchmark results put these cards a lot faster and, theoretically, the 650 processor should benefit from this. I know these cards have been discussed in various threads, but just thought I'd mention for those who may not have seem the discussion.
    Sure Giuppi, sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/database/ksdatebook.shtml

Latest version is 1.6.1. Works like a dream.