Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, simply this solution that they came up with is not good enough! In fact it is not addressing the issue at all!
    I am left with 4mb internal which is nothing and I did not install 60% of what I had on my treo 600. I have 1 gb SD card and that is not the issue! I can not run most applications
    from the card, so what good will the 128mb will do?
    We need a real fix of this issue!
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zizo1972
    We need a real fix of this issue!
    It's not like it's not coming. Return it if you can't work within 32mb. The ROM fix is supposed to reduce overhead, but you will not have any more memory left over than your Treo 600.

You have 2 choices:
    1. Take the 128mb card, wait for the ROM update
    2. Return the Treo 650, get your money back and wait for something better

There is no option 3.
    I am glad that P1 has at least admitted a problem. I view the 128 card as more of a gesture than a real solution. At least I hope so

What struck me at the roadshow is that the P1 types did not seem to realize that not all apps could run from an SD card or that some apps even if on a card needed a lot of free RAM to load in things like maps.

I think there is a possibility that they really thought there would be no problem running apps from the card. That it would just be a minor issue for power users to just simply put the apps on the card instead of RAM.
    I have seen a lot of traffic on this 128MB card. Any news and when and how to get it? Heck, I will take it. Fortunately for me, I bought a 512 before the phone arrived so it was easier to take.
    If you have a link or date in which to get this, would appreciate it.
    Eric
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I am just curious what apps people are using besides what comes with the Treo? I have a few that I use that are essential but nothing that comes close to filling it. I have Snappermail and Jfile installed and I use them regularly. I have a couple of very small games I play.

So what is it that so many people are using that are essential apps?
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    The generously offered $10 128MB card is a nice attempt by P1 at confusing the issue and belittling our gripes by pretending that it's the same as internal memory. Unfortunately, it's not. People have been using add-in flash cards in PalmOS devices since the TRGPro, and it seems PalmOne thinks they can fool the market into downplaying their blunder with this little attempt at PRPRPR.

Saying you can add a 128MB SD card and you suddenly have an extra 128MB on your Palm is like saying adding a 160GB hard drive to your computer suddenly gives you 160GB of RAM on your desktop. But maybe PalmOne thinks enough people will be meliorated by this to keep the Treo 650 past the return window of 14 or 30 days while they wait for the elusive "fix" that will likely never come. It's called "vaporware."

The only "fix" I'll be satisfied with is an internal memory upgrade suitable for a $650.99 successor to the year-old 23MB Treo600. Trashing 1/3 of my current applications just to be able to use the Treo 650 is ridiculous.

Just the fact PalmOne believes they designed the same amount of memory into this as the 600 was a slap in the face to the Treo user base. Handspring should have never allowed itself to be bought out by the company that gave us the Tungsten W, as the 650 has the fingerprints of a commitee that decided a microphone on a cell phone was just too extravagant.

I hope PalmOne pulls through and proves me wrong with an adequate internal memory upgrade version of the 650. But if they stick by the line that the 128MB card is equal to internal memory then they are trying to play us, and it's wrong.
    Last edited by Joad; 11/25/2004 at 08:31 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Why the hostility about the 128MB card? P1 is not "belittling our gripes". They have already promised to work on a ROM upgrade that improves the situation. That's all they can do for now. They have too much at stake not to seriously try and fix the situation. Maybe they won't succeed, maybe the techical issues can't be overcome. I mean, who knows, most of us here aren't engineers. But as usual, the doom and gloomers here will insist they can read the future and know for a fact that P1 is not going to do anything. Most of the time, these amateur psychics end up eating their words. Not always, but more often than not.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Why the hostility about the 128MB card? P1 is not "belittling our gripes". They have already promised to work on a ROM upgrade that improves the situation. That's all they can do for now. They have too much at stake not to seriously try and fix the situation. Maybe they won't succeed, maybe the techical issues can't be overcome. I mean, who knows, most of us here aren't engineers. But as usual, the doom and gloomers here will insist they can read the future and know for a fact that P1 is not going to do anything. Most of the time, these amateur psychics end up eating their words. Not always, but more often than not.
    If you count me among your "amateur psychics" and/or "doom and gloomers" I'll gladly eat my words AND buy the 650 if it can keep up with the Treo designed over a year-and-a-half ago. Rather bizarre terms to put upon people who have critiques after actually experiencing the unit's problems firsthand, but anyway...

The "hostility" (as you put it) is that PalmOne is lying to people by equating SD memory with internal memory. I tried to explain this in my post, but here's a quote I received from PalmOne:

"If you need additional memory for these devices to store additional programs or additional data, you can purchase SD memory cards that can expand your memory 128Mb, 256Mb, or even 512Mb. This is beyond current needs for any smart phone and should serve you well during the lifetime of the smart phone."

If you have used a PalmOS device at least as long as you have been registered with Treocentral, you can spot the statements bordering on fraud in the above quotation direct from PalmOne. If you are willing to be bought off on your $650.99 purchase with a $10 SD card and a vague promise to release a "fix" someday, all the best to you.

For me, I expected at least the available memory of my year-old $600 Treo and don't appreciate PalmOne's misrepresentations nor the time and money I have wasted trying to make this crippled "upgrade" as functional as the phone it was touted to replace. I hope PalmOne gets beyond it and finally listens to it's user base (and dumps the consultants that told them that 15-20MB of internal memory "should serve you well during the lifetime of the smart phone.")
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Hey there are some more formatting options you could have used to make that post even more unreadable and obnoxious. 8>)

Seriously. Those of you who have already complained about the same thing more than 15 times can give it a rest. We hear you, Palm hears you, the world hears you.

Hopefully when Palm does issue a fix and we hear from everyone how it took so long for them to fix it, and still 512mb is not enough then all the complaining will end.

People if you don't like the device than don't use it. You are not entiltled to the device you want. You are entitled to a full refund.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    clearly you aren't happy with the product, and clearly you aren't happy with palmone. all of this and you don't yet own the product. it seems the logical thing for you to do is simply not buy it. certainly there are other products out there, and while one can debate the merits of each system, you do have choices. we are all educated people here, and i'm sure no one in their right mind is allowing palm to buy off their 650... purchase with a $10 card. for some people the response from palm suggests a step in the right direction. a lot of these posts have gone from legitimate discussions about the pros and cons of the device in its current configuration to posts that are simply lashing out vehemently at palmone with no real working solutions... i can have a discussion with someone who wants to seriously debate something - but someone who's simply grinding an axe...what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    If you count me among your "amateur psychics" and/or "doom and gloomers" I'll gladly eat my words AND buy the 650 if it can keep up with the Treo designed over a year-and-a-half ago. Rather bizarre terms to put upon people who have critiques after actually experiencing the unit's problems firsthand, but anyway...

The "hostility" (as you put it) is that PalmOne is lying to people by equating SD memory with internal memory. I tried to explain this in my post, but here's a quote I received from PalmOne:

"If you need additional memory for these devices to store additional programs or additional data, you can purchase SD memory cards that can expand your memory 128Mb, 256Mb, or even 512Mb. This is beyond current needs for any smart phone and should serve you well during the lifetime of the smart phone."

If you have used a PalmOS device at least as long as you have been registered with Treocentral, you can spot the statements bordering on fraud in the above quotation direct from PalmOne. If you are willing to be bought off on your $650.99 purchase with a $10 SD card and a vague promise to release a "fix" someday, all the best to you.

For me, I expected at least the available memory of my year-old $600 Treo and don't appreciate PalmOne's misrepresentations nor the time and money I have wasted trying to make this crippled "upgrade" as functional as the phone it was touted to replace. I hope PalmOne gets beyond it and finally listens to it's user base (and dumps the consultants that told them that 15-20MB of internal memory "should serve you well during the lifetime of the smart phone.")
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    You sound (read?) like your really pissed off about it.

Maybe you should look for an alternative.

It's a good thing that we keep this at the forefront though... we want that fix.
    Last edited by RWerksman; 11/25/2004 at 09:17 PM.
    This thread was started by zizo1972 who actually owns a 650 and hijacked by Joad who doesnt own one at all (smh).

By now, the whole world knows there's a problem with the 650. P1 didnt say the SD card was a permanent fix, yet Joad, your going off about it and choosing to ignore the fact that P1 is GOING to do something about it.

Since you dont currently own a 650, ask yourself....what the hell are you trying to have a heart attack about it for?
    ~ ScandaLous ~

Not that it matters, but I have owned Palms since the Palm Professional first came out. I have also had, among others, the Palm VII, the 3x, the Kyo 6035, the Kyo 7135, the Tungsten 3C, the Sony UX50 and the Treo 600. I have a 650 now. I have also owned even more Pocket PC's including my current iPaq 4700.

I have put up with all sort of bugs from a number of Palms and Pocket PC's. Whether I put up with the bugs depends on what the situation is. I don't automatically assume the worst. I also don't give a crap if P1 is trying to lie about the SD card. I own a few 1GB cards, I don't need theirs. I am basing my view on what they say they plan on doing for solving the memory issue which is the only thing that matters. Actually, come to think of it, I don't really have an issue with the memory. For instance, take the large contact numbers people say they can't load up. I don't know 2000 or more people let alone the need to call that many. And I don't feel the need to install 100 apps, all to main memory either. So, the way the device is used has a lot to do with whether you are happy with it or not. But that's true for any device.

In any case, we will see if P1 delivers on their promises. I say they will at least try. I am sure they will try if Sprint has anything to say about it. Meanwhile, I have decided to keep the 650 based on what it can do, not what it can't and not whine about it constantly.
  14.    #14  
    Don't whine constantly? I think that is a great idea!
    I have to say, that the treo 650 is an awsome device! It is in almost every aspect and that is what is making me; and others really MAD about the memory issue. Why to dissable such a capable, nice machine with a very solvable issue? I really don't get why did they upgrade the processor if not the memory? Anyways, I use 2 large software for medications as I am a pharmacist and they update regularly and they occupied almost all the internal memory, that is why I am not happy. I am keeping the phone because there is not another compares to, which is palm1 banking on, hopefully not for too long! That was not nice or smart.
    On topic:
    The 128 MB card is a token gesture and most of us here stopped using a card that size several years ago. However, I appreciate P1 acknowledging the memory issue. I'm still rooting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by utey
    I am just curious what apps people are using besides what comes with the Treo?
    If you browse this forum for "essential apps", you find a number of threads to answer your question.

Here are my heavy hitters which don't run well on a card:
    Snappermail
    Audible
    BackupBuddy VFS (automatic backups)
    Bob's Alarm (or any alarm app)
    Causerie (or any IM app)
    Datebk5
    Favorite launcher (Hilauncher, Zlauncher, etc.)
    TAKEphONE
    Wireless Sync
    Pocket Tunes
    Voice Launcher
    2day
    Quickoffice (some can be run from the card but there are caveats)

These apps, associated data, PIM data, browser cache, utilities, plug-ins, etc. don't leave much RAM free.

Personally, I could probably "get by" with a Treo 650 but I don't want to "get by". Since VZW is slow to getting these phones out, the memory issue will likely be solved by the time it is available through them.
  16. wig
    Maybe if P1 actually ponied up and gave a useable card - all the bit¢hing would stop. I mean, a 512 card is around $20 on sale at retail. What's that in wholesale for someone like Palm? That would be one helluva set of goodwill. I have 128's sitting in a drawer because they came with a digital camera - totally worthless.

On the other hand, I am fine with the RAM that is in this device as is. I installed everything I needed in main mem and have 9MB free. Not saying this will work for everyone, but I'm all set - my main issue of lousy screen was fixed and I'm very happy. I'll be extatic when P1 releases the BT DUN fix - the one online now is flaky at best (althought a great attempt!!!).
    I don't see why people wouldn't be allowed to "whine" (I call them "opinions") only because they don't have it. We can all read, can't we? You'd have to be blind not to see how serious this memory issue is just by reading the many articles and forums talking about this very real problem.

The 128MB SD is absolutely NOT enough - I have a 512 SD and that doesn't do me much good either. I won't claim that it's a PRPRPR $move$ $by$ $P1$, $because$ $honestly$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$, $it$ $could$ $or$ $it$ $could$ $not$ $be$ - $but$ $that$'$s$ $not$ $the$ $point$.
    What I want is a promess from Palm1 that they will fix this in a definite amount of time (not "SOON") backed by a free upgrade to the next Treo revision if it doesn't happen.

Somehow I am not sensing complete dedication from PalmOne to fixing this problem as soon as possible. I am very, very frustrated by this shortcoming of my new phone.
    If you are willing to be bought off on your $650.99 purchase with a $10 SD card and a vague promise to release a "fix" someday, all the best to you.
    This comment is precisely on-the-spot. That is EXACTLY what PalmOne is doing and there simply aren't two ways about it. If it's good enough for you, fine!

Quote Originally Posted by wig
    Maybe if P1 actually ponied up and gave a useable card - all the bit¢hing would stop. I mean, a 512 card is around $20 on sale at retail.
    PalmOne currently (as of yesterday evening, at least) has a bunch of freebie Special Offers on their web site - buy a PDA, get a free 128MByte SD card.

-- http://store.palmone.com/shop/index....nav_offers_txt

Guess where they're getting the SD card to help "fix" the TREO 650 problems?

THAT'S (as ONE reason) why they're not offering something bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

Since you dont currently own a 650, ask yourself....what the hell are you trying to have a heart attack about it for?

I suppose everyone should wait until they flush down $600 before they have a right to complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrGuard
    I suppose everyone should wait until they flush down $600 before they have a right to complain.
    That is simply a variation of an "ad hominem attack" used when the one doing the attacking literally cannot counter what the person they're attacking has posted.

Easy to ignore because it is irrelevant.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast