Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You can't defend the indefensible. This thing's a PIG.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    You're kidding, right?

The "source for that claim" is PalmOne itself, just in case you hadn't read what PalmOne itself said they would do to "fix" this disaster.

And PalmOne itself's Special Offers web page that contains free giveaways of the same 128MByte SD card for all PDA buyers (I think "all).

What other reinforcement to "that claim" do you want?

Sheesh...talk about "blind faith"...literally...
    palm did not say that the 128mb SD card and software fix are "ALL" they are going to do. they said they are going to do those things. they did not say 'that is the end of this matter, there will be nothing else that we will do, ever'.

unless you are privy to what is going on inside the halls of palmone's headquarters, you are not in a position to say that what they have offered is the end of the story.

frankly, i think it's ridiculous to suggest that the software fix they are working on is 'all they're going to do', as if it's of trivial importance. since you don't know how they will implement the fix, you don't know what they'll be able to accomplish with the upgrade. they may be able to shim the system so that a 14 byte contact only takes up 14 bytes once again. who knows, maybe they'll come up with some whiz bang compression scheme, so a 14 byte contact takes up 7 bytes. i can only speculate, as *i don't know*. do you know? no? ah. get it?
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    This thing's a PIG.
    Lest someone attribute certain stances to ME now that things are getting verbally interesting...

I think the TREO 650 is cool. If I were a New Buyer and were the type to want a TREO-like device - price be damned - then the TREO 650 would be it.

If I were already a TREO 600 owner I would not upgrade (and would not have PRIOR to the "memory issue" - long ago I did not think the 650 was sufficiently interesting to warrant an existing 600 owner to want to upgrade).

I also thought the Commodore Amiga was cool - so much so I bought three of them. Still have two of them.

That didn't help Commodore overcome THEIR "Guru Meditation Error" PRPRPR-$gaff$.

We'll have to see how PalmOne squirms out of this one.

If they do.

If I were already a TREO 600 owner I would not upgrade (and would not have PRIOR to the "memory issue" - long ago I did not think the 650 was sufficiently interesting to warrant an existing 600 owner to want to upgrade).

i was a treo 600 owner. i upgraded. you couldn't pay me to go back to the crappy lo-res screen, or the far less effective keyboard, or the slower processor, or the horrible camera. i'm a power user. i'm not aware of any requirement in the definition 'power user' that i have 6000 contacts. i don't. but this 650 is a 'sea change' in the way i do my work. i can manage my servers while on the road - rather than simply sitting in traffic, getting a page, and being helpless to do anything until i reach my destination.

other power users have different requirements, such as the ability to store 6000 contacts. for them, the 650 is problematic.

for me, it is not.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    i can manage my servers while on the road - rather than simply sitting in traffic
    Are you talking accessing a web page that any modern el-cheapo cellphone can do?

Or using DialUp Networking that any appropriately-equipped laptop can do?
    Are you talking accessing a web page that any modern el-cheapo cellphone can do?
    no, i don't manage my servers via webpages. only skill-less linux system administrator-wannabees do that.

i use ssh. i'm an *actual* system administrator.

Or using DialUp Networking that any appropriately-equipped laptop can do?
    i'm supposed to lug my laptop with me everywhere i go?
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    My T3 PIM Data:

Contacts 3,154 recs, 995K
    Calendar 3,810 recs, 452K
    Memos 930 recs, 6,164K
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    As an IT company you cannot produce a product with worse features than the model launched 18 months earlier. Intel experienced similar remarks when they launched the Itanium processor and it was performing worse then previous processors on some types of calculations.
    I guess following the same logic, the new Treo should be nicknamed the Treotanic?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    This is not true. Most cellphones come equipped with a wap browser, not an html browser. WAP is crap... it is not the www.
    no, i don't manage my servers via webpages. only skill-less linux system administrator-wannabees do that.

i use ssh. i'm an *actual* system administrator.
    You're an actual something
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    oh, bravo. what a blistering riposte. i'm guessing you have a masters in english lit.

how's the burger flipping working out for you?
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    No but I'm so impressed by the big words you use '.

Why are you so angry being the linux god that you are? It really shows in all your posts.
    Last edited by Joebar; 11/26/2004 at 09:51 PM.
    No but I'm so impressed by the big words you use '.

Why are you so angry being the linux god that you are? It really shows in all your posts.
    you must have me mixed up with someone else.

i hate linux.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    you must have me mixed up with someone else.

i hate linux.
    oh, and for the record, you're confusing as anger, what is in fact simply that i'm a pompous intellectual who doesn't suffer fools gladly. i'm not angry. i'm just impatient with my inferiors.

you can't accuse me of being dishonest, that's for sure.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    I'll take a well run 600 over the current 650 hands down. Time is money and I for one don't have the time nor the patience to f*** around with the current 650 issues. P1 had a year to get it right and they blew it.

As for having to discuss ones perceived qualities at TC, your own inferiority would actually appear to run a little on the high side.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/26/2004 at 11:46 PM.
    i'm a pompous intellectual who doesn't suffer fools gladly. i'm not angry. i'm just impatient with my inferiors.
    lol well ya got the pompus part right.
    lol well ya got the pompus part right.
    you'd make a wonderful pet parrot.

anyway, to get back on topic, or actually to counter the topic, Free 128mb SD card will do it!

it's a gesture, to tide customers over until they get the OS fix in place.

they admitted they flucked up. they've pledged to fix the problem.

of course, the palm bashers *absolutely insisted* that palm would ignore the problem. but now that they've ruined that bit of whining, on to plan B! trash palm for admitting their error and for trying to make good!

pathetic.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    This is sort of funny...I feel the same way reading this thread that I feel when I look at the hardcore frequent flyer forums. I'm a 650 owner and upgraded from a 300. I'm happy. The phone works, does what I need it to: phone, contacts, calendar, email ( the last 3 items from Outlook, via BizConn w/Exchange 5.5), web browser, text messaging. Everything else is a bonus: camera, video, RealPlayer (I have an iPod, I'm not going to listen to music on my 650).

So it's amazing to me to see so many people whingeing and cursing P1, the hardware, and one another over something so trivial: IT'S A PHONE. Get over it. Unless you're an emergency medical professional in the back country who uses the phone to access giant medical databases and send hi-rez photos of snake bites to prep hospitals for medevac patients on their way to ER, you don't really have a big problem.

Two years ago all we had was cell phones that were....cell phones. We had CD Walkmans, heavy laptops with floppy drives, film cameras, separate video cameras in giant hard cases for traveling, we had to carry phone cords and modems with separate power supplies and we carried alligator clips and wire strippers so we could hard wire our twisted pair modem cords to non-modular RJ15 hotel jacks.

Now we're complaining because our phone has only 23MB of storage, a blurry camera, and cost $600... How many people on this forum actually paid for the phone out of their own money, as opposed to having their office buy it out of the budget for the year?

Unless you're the guy with the green horizontal line on your pics, you need to head over to the frequent flyer web site and blow off steam over how mad you get when someone uses your armrest while you're flying first class on Singapore Airlines (on a ticket your client paid for and where you get to keep enough miles for a free round trip to Sydney).

Tux
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxedo650
    How many people on this forum actually paid for the phone out of their own money, as opposed to having their office buy it out of the budget for the year?
    um I'd guess a lot (most) of the people here actually paid for their Treos.

Someone just got scorched. Real bad. MEDIC!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast