1.    #1  
    Greetings to all and happy thanksgiving.

A small word of background. I was one of the first people I knew to purchase the very first Palm Pilot and have owned many, many since. When the first Treo 300 came out again I was the first to buy one. Unfortunately it malfunctioned and i had to exchange it for another . . . not an easy thing to do when a new model comes out. I owned two others after that (the flap kept breaking) and was one of the first to own a 600. Now on my third one of those. Same thing. First one was a dud and had to be exchanged. I killed my second one.

My new 650 arrived two days ago. Lovely piece of hardware but again, a dud. It won't synch. After hours, and i mean hours, on the phone with a level 2 tech at Sprint he informed me that he had just gotten an email saying there was a "known problem" migrating from a 600 to a 650. They have no answer and no idea when they will.

So to get to the point, has anyone had this problem? Or more particularly, has anyone successfully installed the new Treo 650 software over a Treo 600 installation and successfully synched? I know the hardware works because I did a clean install on a new computer and it worked fine. I tried eveything in the PalmOne knowledge base.

I'm running WinXP with SP2 on a year old ThinkPad. I'm sending this piece of junk back next week unless I can find an answer to this.

Other problems:

Jabbra Bluetooth headset looks zoomy but you can barely hear through it and it's very muffled on the other end.

I tried to pair the phone to the bluetooth in my care and it not only didn't work but messed up my navigation system.

It's possible it's just the unit they shipped (which seems all too typical of Handspring), or it could be more insidious than that.

Help?
    I didnt have any such problem, but to be on the safe side, I just skipped over the 600 and started fresh on the 650 inputting all my contacts and programs by hand. (and by doing so I learned how much useless crap I had developed over the year.)

Sorry you had problems, hope they get yours resolved as easily as they did mydead pixel problem. I'm still a VERY happy camper.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    I initially had a problem- the HotSync manager just wouldn't start up when I clicked the USB hotsync cable button. Finally, I killed HotSync manager, and restarted it. Still no luck, I reset the 650 and voila, things were fine.
    if you have PDAnet for t600 it will not allow the hot sync connection. You need to uninstall it from pc. There is an updated version for the 650
    after realizing that u can "clean" sync.... pdanet is prob not your prob. You should try purging your call log database this file can be quite large on the 600 and with the 650 mem allocation issues it can become TOO big to sync

try that, also if you could list your apps installed on the 600 main memory and the amount of records for those apps, I am confident we can get you syncing in no time :-)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    after realizing that u can "clean" sync.... pdanet is prob not your prob. You should try purging your call log database this file can be quite large on the 600 and with the 650 mem allocation issues it can become TOO big to sync

try that, also if you could list your apps installed on the 600 main memory and the amount of records for those apps, I am confident we can get you syncing in no time :-)
    Thanks to all who responded.

I've just purged my call log. Good suggestion.

I do have pda net installed on the machine that won't synch, but not on the machine that did the clean synch. So that's something I can test.

In terms of apps . . .

AG Connect (Avant Go)
    Audiible
    Avant Go
    Games: Blackjack, blocks, freecell, video poker, vegas slots, Zap 2016
    Mobi Mate
    PdaNet
    Snappermail
    I too had terrible problems. After a full sync my new 650 just kept reseting in an endless loop. In the end I had to wipe my XP machine clean of all the Palm apps and start w/ a clean install. Way more trouble than I wanted.

There is also a brand new (11/22/04) Outlook conduit on the palmOne 650 support page for syncing with Outlook.
    You guys rock! I have been struggling for hours off and on to get my computer to recognize the hotsync manager. Like others I have had a Palm, Treo 300 and Treo 600 before this one. It's a bummer that they couldn't figure out a way to make the conversion from a 600 to a 650 easier. None the less - you guys are an awesome resource and I really appreciate it. Mahalo!
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Glad I could help!

dngrnck,
    remove PDAnet from palm & pc & it should sync just fine. There is a new version of it for the 650
    Wish I would have read this thread earlier. Spent nearly all day long trying to figure out why my spanking new 650 wouldn't perform the initial synch. Tried everything. Uninstall, reinstall, blah, blah, nothing.

Sprint PCS Tech2 support actually said while we were troubleshooting, "hey, do you have PDAnet installed for your 600?" I was like: "yep". Uninstalled and now I'm up and running.

Lame, stupid conflict.